Roberto's y Jorge's information

17,868 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Localbear
1outawayBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coke Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

Went to Jorge's for lunch. My god their service is terrible and I was sitting at the bar just trying to order lunch and the bar seating was less than half full. They definitely need to train their staff better because it was bad. I had to remind one of the girls four times about refilling my water. Food was good, def not great…but way overpriced in terms of what you get.

Their steak fajitas are more expensive than el tiempo in Houston and the meat is not even close in terms of flavor/tenderness.

Will give it another go at dinner with my wife next week, but definitely disappointed based on my first try. Service definitely gets an F, absolutely horrendous. Just sitting there on their phones while people are waiting to be helped/order food and drinks.
Thank you for your honest assessment. I haven't been so I can't give a review; however, just curious if you spoke with a manager about the situation.

I didn't. I know that it's part of the process with a new restaurant being opened and that there are going to be kinks needing to be worked out. No need for me to create more stress on the managers than they already have and are dealing with
Yogi

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
southtexasbear
The warm salsa verde is amazing!
Coke Bear
Judging from Yogi's pics, it appears that they are using chips from Jesse's Tortilla Factory like George's does.

I'm glad to see that.
Bear Doc
Coke Bear said:

Judging from Yogi's pics, it appears that they are using chips from Jesse's Tortilla Factory like George's does.

I'm glad to see that.

We asked about the chips. They actually make them (fry them) in house. Very good.
Coke Bear
Bear Doc said:

Coke Bear said:

I'm glad to see that.

We asked about the chips. They actually make them (fry them) in house. Very good.
Very cool. I wonder if they are buying the raw chips or making them from scratch.

They look very similar to Jesse's, which I believe that they use at George's.
Bear Doc
Coke Bear said:

Bear Doc said:

Coke Bear said:

I'm glad to see that.

Very cool. I wonder if they are buying the raw chips or making them from scratch.

They buy the dough I believe is what he said. Those and the pork rinds are fried on site.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

Bear Doc said:

Coke Bear said:

I'm glad to see that.

They do use Jesse's at both George's locations. I believe they are buying Jesse's corn tortillas only for frying the chips. All other tortillas (for fajitas and other menu items) are made in house on the tortilla maker.
74Bear
Contrary to everyone else, we are one and done. No ill harm intended.
PartyBear
74Bear said:

Elaborate if you dont mind. We havent gone yet. But I have been talking up what I am hearing here to my wife. For some reason I'm getting the feeling my wife and I are going to not be as impressed as the reviews here indicate which is what I am going on when I tell her I am hearing it is really good.

For example neither of us think La Fiesta is that great even though it has kind of a cult following among locals. Isnt La Fiesta the same owners? I may be wrong but I thought La Fiesta was related to George's in some way. If so how is this really different from that in reality?
Nguyen One Soon
PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

Elaborate if you dont mind. We havent gone yet. But I have been talking up what I am hearing here to my wife. For some reason I'm getting the feeling my wife and I are going to not be as impressed as the reviews here indicate which is what I am going on when I tell her I am hearing it is really good.

For example neither of us think La Fiesta is that great even though it has kind of a cult following among locals. Isnt La Fiesta the same owners? I may be wrong but I thought La Fiesta was related to George's in some way. If so how is this really different from that in reality?
Not related.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

For example neither of us think La Fiesta is that great even though it has kind of a cult following among locals.
In the year 2000 it certainly did and I'm sure there are those that love it still, but nobody <50 is talking about how amazing La Fiesta is in 2024.
SteamedHams
BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

For example neither of us think La Fiesta is that great even though it has kind of a cult following among locals.
In the year 2000 it certainly did and I'm sure there are those that love it still, but nobody <50 is talking about how amazing La Fiesta is in 2024.

This is incorrect. I only know because I am married to one of these people you claim don't exist.
74Bear
PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

We just did not like the "flavor" of our food. My wife and I started with two cups of soup, one of each on the menu. Neither of us finished it. We shared the nachos. They too were very different. They sounded similar to the old standard but they were not. A lady next to us had ordered quesadillos and complained that they were not like any she had ever had. The waiter told her that most everything on their menu was very different than how other restaurants made the same dish. He politely told her to choose something else and he would get it for her.
PartyBear
Sorry I didnt mean it has a cult following among all locals but I thought that was obvious. We are locals and we know alot of local folks who agree with us. We have only been there perhaps once in the last decade for example and I wont claim we eat at restaurants all the time but is also isnt rare. When we go out it is frequently for Tex/Mex or Mex food, I would add. Just to provide context for having only been to La Fiesta once in the last decade.

All that said I am interested in hearing bad reviews of this new place as well.
hill02
My wife and I went last night. It was packed. We had a reservation for the cantina and were seated right away.

I had very high expectations based on the reviews here and feedback from friends. It met my very high expectations. We did the three dip appetizer with corn, quac, and queso and all three were very solid. We both had the jalapeno beef fajitas and they were amazing. Absolutely some of the best fajitas I have ever had.

The vibe/decor in the restaurant was very cool and the service was very friendly and solid considering the crowd.
My only nitpick is we were seated at a two top high table (there are tons of them in there) and it wasn't super comfortable. The booths looked much more inviting.

Overall, an extremely welcome addition to the Waco scene and we will be back 100%. I would be proud to take any out of town guests there.
trey3216
74Bear said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

We just did not like the "flavor" of our food. My wife and I started with two cups of soup, one of each on the menu. Neither of us finished it. We shared the nachos. They too were very different. They sounded similar to the old standard but they were not. A lady next to us had ordered quesadillos and complained that they were not like any she had ever had. The waiter told her that most everything on their menu was very different than how other restaurants made the same dish. He politely told her to choose something else and he would get it for her.
The flavors are going to be very different because they are not greasy Tex-Mex dishes you get at most other restaurants. People going there and thinking it's going to be a Ninfa's but better are not going to know what to do say, and they're not going to know why they don't know. It's because we've been conditioned to eat greasy crap that is labeled as Mexican food.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

74Bear said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

The flavors are going to be very different because they are not greasy Tex-Mex dishes you get at most other restaurants. People going there and thinking it's going to be a Ninfa's but better are not going to know what to do say, and they're not going to know why they don't know. It's because we've been conditioned to eat greasy crap that is labeled as Mexican food.
I thought the food was not the issue. The service is terrible - went again Sunday and same terrible service at the bar. They need to get better and also not serve water in sippy cups that you need a refill constantly or just leave the water for you to pour more as needed.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

74Bear said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

I thought the food was not the issue. The service is terrible - went again Sunday and same terrible service at the bar. They need to get better and also not serve water in sippy cups that you need a refill constantly or just leave the water for you to pour more as needed.
That's fair. I didn't really have an issue with it. That's a personal preference thing I suppose. I also had a Ranch Water and a Tequila flight in front of me, so that changes the calculus a bit.
SteamedHams
One Jorge's criticism I had is that the glasses are not see-through, so our waitress(es) never had any idea if we were out of water or not. Consequently, we would wait longer than what I'd consider normal for a higher end place on refills.
whitetrash
SteamedHams said:

One Jorge's criticism I had is that the glasses are not see-through, so our waitress(es) never had any idea if we were out of water or not. Consequently, we would wait longer than what I'd consider normal for a higher end place on refills.
Went Saturday night, and even the waitstaff made the same comment. But the teenager going around refilling glasses came by frequently, so every time he walked by we had him top us off.

Service was a bit slow, but we were dining with friends and in no hurry, so we didn't really mind. Might have a different take if it was just the wife and I out for a less leisurely bite of dinner. Kyle stopped by and visited for about 5 minutes or so and gave us a background on their concept development process. He did the same at several other tables around us.

The four of us at dinner all commented that we were violating cardinal rule #1 of dining out in Waco by not waiting 60-90 days for the initial furor to die down, but it was fine. They were crowded but seated folks fairly quickly. And there were several tables of 10-12 dining as well.

One other observation: other than Easter/Mother's Day/Thanksgiving at Ridgewood, I saw the most people I knew all dining at the same restaurant in Waco since I was a little kid going to the Piccadilly at Lake Air Mall (when it was one of only 4-5 places to go out to dinner in town).

baylrballa
74Bear said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

that's kinda the point.

Excited to have a place like this in Waco. need to get over there soon.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

74Bear said:

PartyBear said:

74Bear said:

That's fair. I didn't really have an issue with it. That's a personal preference thing I suppose. I also had a Ranch Water and a Tequila flight in front of me, so that changes the calculus a bit.

First time I went I had three work meetings left in my afternoon and second time it was 1130 in the morning on a Sunday and was just hungry so not in the drinking mood yet lol.
Robert Wilson
Excited about it. Looking forward to trying it. But not really wanting to wade into what sounds like reservation only busy mess while they are still adjusting. May give it a couple months...
BaylorHistory
Robert Wilson said:

Excited about it. Looking forward to trying it. But not really wanting to wade into what sounds like reservation only busy mess while they are still adjusting. May give it a couple months...

I'm the opposite, give me a reservation system every time over walking in anywhere.
whitetrash
Robert Wilson said:

Kyle explained their "reservation" system as setting aside a certain number of reservations every 15 minutes, then seating those who have that time slot as they arrive and match up with a table, rather than reserving a specific table like at some restaurants. We got there about 6:50 for a 7:00 reservation, and were seated by 7:05 if not sooner. It may look like there are a lot of people waiting in the lobby, but everyone was seated fairly promptly.
Lund Vernquist
SteamedHams said:

This is a good point. Also the water glasses are pretty small.
hodedofome
I ate at a high end Mexican restaurant in the Highland Park area probably a decade ago. I had quesadillas and the sides were fruit and a salad. I walked out feeling great, instead of feeling terrible.

Skip the beans and rice and substitute something else and texmex takes on a totally different vibe.
FlyinDubGreenGold
Had Jorge's for dinner last night.

Reservation system was easy. Showed up five minutes early and was seated at 6:00 on the dot. Was out by 6:55.

Place was packed, as was La Fiesta when I drove by on the way to Jorge's.

IMO, there is room for lots of good Tex-mex and also for Jorge's elevated scene, food, and price-point.

Everything was delicious. I had the jalapeño tenderloin beef fajita. Definitely the best fajita plate I have ever had.

Highly recommend.
Volunteer
Went last night. Seated promptly and service was actually very good. Water/soda/tea classes are too small and need almost constant refilling - especially when it's summer in Waco. Chips and salsa are very good. I had brisket enchiladas. Thought the brisket was fairly flavorless and I didn't care for the taste of the mole sauce. I've had mole sauce on dishes several other times and this one just didn't taste right to me. But that's probably just me. Others at the table had fish and one had the hamburger. They all thought it was very good.
Edmond Bear

Thanks for all of the reviews. Taking my dad and family tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.
Edmond Bear

Went last night with my family. Sat in one of the cool rounded blue leather booths. The place looks great.

But, the food is incredibly mediocre. Between us, we had birria tacos, flautas, and fajitas. Nothing was really good. Birria is supposed to be crispy on the outside. These were soft like they threw them on a griddle and soaked them in birria sauce. Flautas were crazy bland. Honestly, not sure what my wife was expecting. Fajitas were good but can name 10 places in Waco with better fajitas.

Was really looking forward to Jorge's. But, this trip was a disappointment.
1outawayBear
Edmond Bear said:

Went last night with my family. Sat in one of the cool rounded blue leather booths. The place looks great.

But, the food is incredibly mediocre. Between us, we had birria tacos, flautas, and fajitas. Nothing was really good. Birria is supposed to be crispy on the outside. These were soft like they threw them on a griddle and soaked them in birria sauce. Flautas were crazy bland. Honestly, not sure what my wife was expecting. Fajitas were good but can name 10 places in Waco with better fajitas.

I've been wondering about the people here who said it was the best fajitas they've ever had. Have they had the original ninfas in Houston? Original el tiempo?
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

I've been wondering about the people here who said it was the best fajitas they've ever had. Have they had the original ninfas in Houston? Original el tiempo?
I've been to El Tiempo, and to Javier's in Dallas. I said the fajitas I had that night were as good.

There are not 10 places in Waco that have good fajitas, let alone 10 better than the ones I had at Jorge's.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

I've been to El Tiempo, and to Javier's in Dallas. I said the fajitas I had that night were as good.

There are not 10 places in Waco that have good fajitas, let alone 10 better than the ones I had at Jorge's.

I was thinking "holy smokes 10 places in Waco alone!?" I've tried nearly every fajitas in Waco all were sub par

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.