Roberto's y Jorge's information

18,142 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Localbear
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I think they have several in Nevada.

Hard to tell on their mobile site

https://robertostacoshopsd.com/locations/
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Taco Tuesday. My husband the SDSU Aztec who lived on Roberto's/Alberto's while in school declared them legit.
TechDawgMc
Tried Roberto's out the other day with the California Burrito. Definitely not my thing. I will go back and try the tacos, though. They look pretty good.
Illinois Bear
Stopped in for lunch today. Had the carnitas and carne asada soft tacos. Top notch carnitas. Will be putting this place into permanent rotation.
whitetrash
You may have been there when I stopped in. Had the chicken burrito and it was very fresh and very filling.
trey3216
Jorge's is going to be outstanding. We went to the friends/family opening tonight. Had the Surf n turf fajitas, hatch Chile enchiladas, lump crab dip, street tacos, chicharones, tequila flights, and other stuff. Everything was dynamite. Fajitas were the best I've had at a restaurant other than the Cabrito fajitas at Javier's. Chicharones with the crab dip was phenomenal. Great tequila seclection. Saw some other dishes coming out (snapper, seafood enchiladas, etc) Place is going to blow the doors off.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BUAL
BaylorHistory said:

Ate at Roberto's today and it's really good. The wife got the chile relleno burrito and really liked it and I liked the California Burrito.

Their location spread is hilarious right now.

8 in San Diego area
1 in Lubbock
1 in Waco

They have a ton around Vegas. Weird they skipped Phoenix before hitting Lubbock, although the Hub City gets a ton of restaurants early. Dutch Bros went there before most of Texas.
Mike E
trey3216 said:

Jorge's is going to be outstanding. We went to the friends/family opening tonight. Had the Surf n turf fajitas, hatch Chile enchiladas, lump crab dip, street tacos, chicharones, tequila flights, and other stuff. Everything was dynamite. Fajitas were the best I've had at a restaurant other than the Cabrito fajitas at Javier's. Chicharones with the crab dip was phenomenal. Great tequila seclection. Saw some other dishes coming out (snapper, seafood enchiladas, etc) Place is going to blow the doors off.

I saw a lot of cars over there and was guessing it was the traditional friends/family dinner before opening.

Are they still planning on the soft opening in a couple days? They have no recent updates on Facebook and i hadnt heard anything outside of here but I'm really interested in trying it out!
SteamedHams
Mike E said:

trey3216 said:

I saw a lot of cars over there and was guessing it was the traditional friends/family dinner before opening.

Are they still planning on the soft opening in a couple days? They have no recent updates on Facebook and i hadnt heard anything outside of here but I'm really interested in trying it out!

Yes, Monday and Tuesday are still soft-opening invite only days. We are eating there Monday, I'll report back afterwards.
BaylorHistory
BUAL said:

BaylorHistory said:

Ate at Roberto's today and it's really good. The wife got the chile relleno burrito and really liked it and I liked the California Burrito.

Their location spread is hilarious right now.

8 in San Diego area
1 in Lubbock
1 in Waco

They have a ton around Vegas. Weird they skipped Phoenix before hitting Lubbock, although the Hub City gets a ton of restaurants early. Dutch Bros went there before most of Texas.

It looks like the Nevada locations are different group? They have a separate website.

https://robertostacoshop.com/locations/

https://robertostacoshopsd.com/locations
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

Mike E said:

trey3216 said:

Yes, Monday and Tuesday are still soft-opening invite only days. We are eating there Monday, I'll report back afterwards.
Yep. Monday Tuesday are addt'l invite only days and then they plan on fully opening Thursday I believe.
sicem2471
Georges mexican food sucks probably Jorges will aswell
trey3216
sicem2471 said:

Ahhhhhhhh. No
trey3216
sicem2471 said:

chalk this one up in your historic collection of idiotic takes
Coyote Bear
sicem2471 said:

I enjoyed a fantastic meal there on Friday night. Honestly, it's the best Mexican food in Waco. Much higher end than I expected. Can't wait to go back!

Beef tenderloin fajitas and the crab dip were my favorites. And the cocktails are all fantastic.
trey3216
Coyote Bear said:

sicem2471 said:

I enjoyed a fantastic meal there on Friday night. Honestly, it's the best Mexican food in Waco. Much higher end than I expected. Can't wait to go back!

Beef tenderloin fajitas and the crab dip were my favorites. And the cocktails are all fantastic.
the crab dip with chicharones was absolutely amazing. The tenderloin fajitas were beyond delicious. Literally cut them with my spoon.
Mike E
They're now taking online reservations!

jorgeswaco.com/reservations
Bear Doc
Mike E said:

Thanks for posting this. Booked for Friday night!!!
SteamedHams
Bear Doc said:

Mike E said:

Had it tonight, was superb. Beef fajitas were outstanding, wife had some seafood enchilada deal that was superb, the green salsa is delish (mix it with the queso), all the cocktails were exquisite.

It is more interior Mexican than Tex Mex, so don't expect Mi Casita, but it was by far the best Mexican food in town. Really impressed, the whole operation was quite an operation but they absolutely crushed it.

Outside of a Big O, there is zero crossover with the regular George's. It is very much its own thing, they really put some effort into making it a standalone dining experience.
Bear Doc
SteamedHams said:

Bear Doc said:

Mike E said:

Had it tonight, was superb. Beef fajitas were outstanding, wife had some seafood enchilada deal that was superb, the green salsa is delish (mix it with the queso), all the cocktails were exquisite.

It is more interior Mexican than Tex Mex, so don't expect Mi Casita, but it was by far the best Mexican food in town. Really impressed, the whole operation was quite an operation but they absolutely crushed it.

Outside of a Big O, there is zero crossover with the regular George's. It is very much its own thing, they really put some effort into making it a standalone dining experience.

Please tell me a Big O is called a Grande O…
southtexasbear
Bear Doc said:

SteamedHams said:

Bear Doc said:

Mike E said:

Please tell me a Big O is called a Grande O…

Robert Wilson
When this was first floated, I figured we'd get a Mexican food equivalent of George's. This sounds much cooler. Excited to try it.
Liteitup
Attended the Monday F&F soft opening, I'll pile on to what every one else is saying. Wow! The surf and turf was outstanding, reminded me of Paloma Suerte in the stockyards. Tried the carne asada, excellent. The layer dip and crab dip with chicharrons, as good as previously described. The rice was good, different, but good.
Looks like a winner to me.
SteamedHams
If you like ranch waters… The "bottle rocket" was stupid good.
trey3216
Robert Wilson said:

When this was first floated, I figured we'd get a Mexican food equivalent of George's. This sounds much cooler. Excited to try it.
theres an entire other thread about it somewhere on this board and I've said from the get go it is going to be a fine dining, seafood place. Some folks never wanted to listen. I've been trying test items for over a year. Been in the works for 2.5 years.
BaylorHistory
Mike E said:

Thanks, got one for Sunday
trey3216
Mike E said:

Reservations only for the next week or two most likely (maybe even longer than that) as they had wait lists over 2 hours at lunch yesterday. Do not show up thinking you will be put on a list, you must make reservations
Bear Doc
Surf and Turf fajitas with shrimp embrochettes. Best fajitas I have had in my 41 years on this earth. So good!
Lund Vernquist
Food was excellent and margaritas even better. We tried the cheese enchiladas, beef and chicken fajitas, trio dip sampler and dessert churros. Already looking to going again.

Saw Kim Mulkey there this evening because … she knows.
Old300Bear
Ate lunch at Jorge's today. Had high expectations from the comments on this board. They delivered!
BaylorHistory
The Carne Asada and tenderloin fajitas were great. I also appreciated the salsa verde a lot. The chimichurri rice went well with red meat but I wouldn't have liked that pairing with many other options especially as it wasnt mixed all that well leaving flavor bombs at some points. It was overwhelming by itself but was ok when mixed with meat, beans, and tortillas.

I liked that they had the tortilleras out in the open but the tortillas were rather pedestrian (especially the corn) compared to many other places in town.

Hard to judge a place that's been open for a few days and their steak is the truth without a doubt. It probably won't be in our Mexocan rotation for a while until it calms down, but always good to add more non-TexMex options.
Marlin
I have reservations at Jorge's this coming Sunday evening.
Looking forward to it after reading the comments.
1outawayBear
Went to Jorge's for lunch. My god their service is terrible and I was sitting at the bar just trying to order lunch and the bar seating was less than half full. They definitely need to train their staff better because it was bad. I had to remind one of the girls four times about refilling my water. Food was good, def not great…but way overpriced in terms of what you get.

Their steak fajitas are more expensive than el tiempo in Houston and the meat is not even close in terms of flavor/tenderness.

Will give it another go at dinner with my wife next week, but definitely disappointed based on my first try. Service definitely gets an F, absolutely horrendous. Just sitting there on their phones while people are waiting to be helped/order food and drinks.
Coke Bear
1outawayBear said:

Went to Jorge's for lunch. My god their service is terrible and I was sitting at the bar just trying to order lunch and the bar seating was less than half full. They definitely need to train their staff better because it was bad. I had to remind one of the girls four times about refilling my water. Food was good, def not great…but way overpriced in terms of what you get.

Their steak fajitas are more expensive than el tiempo in Houston and the meat is not even close in terms of flavor/tenderness.

Will give it another go at dinner with my wife next week, but definitely disappointed based on my first try. Service definitely gets an F, absolutely horrendous. Just sitting there on their phones while people are waiting to be helped/order food and drinks.
Thank you for your honest assessment. I haven't been so I can't give a review; however, just curious if you spoke with a manager about the situation.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
I went to Roberto's last night, $2.50 for the fish taco (taco Tuesday) and enjoyed it very much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.