Is Costco finally happening?

1,503 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by PartyBear
baylorguy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Behind a paywall, but rumors are swirling it may be Costco.
I have said it for years that this site is the prime location for one. Waco will be dumb to not make this happen. Sam's on the north side (which is always crowded); Costco on the south.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/business/mike-copeland-more-costco-rumors-live-bait-delivery-glass-plant-prospects-salvation-army-leadership/article_50fb986c-37cc-11ef-9080-d7abc0c8a8e8.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
BylrFan
has to be a costco, or even further shot, an IKEA.
BylrFan
they are opening around 4 stores a month. Wouldn't shock me one bit.
SteamedHams
Another day, another Costco rumor. This one places a Costco at the northeast corner of the Interstate 35 and South Loop 340 cloverleaf interchange. Local Realtor Bland Cromwell has marketed the 256-acre site many, many years, his last deal placing it with a developer in North Dallas.

Asked specifically about Costco, Cromwell said he is party to a non-disclosure agreement and, therefore, could not identify any prospect. But he couched his non-disclosure this way: "I've been involved with this property more than 20 years. It's exciting to see something put to bed.

The plan always has been to have a big-box retailer on the site. We've had a lot of positive activity with a lot of good retail names. You can have a conversation, and you can have papers, but until it is under contract and closed … It's a great corner. If any companies want to come to town, that is where they will go.

"But I can't comment on anyone specifically."

The site's potential is not lost on the city of Waco, which labeled it the Waco 35/6 Development Project. Walker Partners received a $274,700 contract from Waco to conduct site surveying, flood modeling and environmental and geotechnical investigations, which are progressing, City Strategic Initiatives Director Tom Balk said in an interview Monday.
BaylorGuy314
yes
trey3216
baylorguy09 said:

Behind a paywall, but rumors are swirling it may be Costco.
I have said it for years that this site is the prime location for one. Waco will be dumb to not make this happen. Sam's on the north side (which is always crowded); Costco on the south.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/business/mike-copeland-more-costco-rumors-live-bait-delivery-glass-plant-prospects-salvation-army-leadership/article_50fb986c-37cc-11ef-9080-d7abc0c8a8e8.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

It's been more or less 'confirmed' by several people who would certainly know in the Waco Forum on other threads that it is happening.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BUbearinARK
Will there be a pappadeaux's in the store?
Yogi
Secret Sources say YES.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
bankerbear
I mentioned this was happening earlier this year in another thread.
BylrFan
bankerbear said:

any more specifics you know or can tease? You expect this around 2026?

I looked into it and it takes around 100 days to build one. Seems the planning and commitment phase is the longest out of all of this.
BaylorGuy314
Also, HEB recently closed on land at Hewitt Drive/I-35 intersection. Now, they may not build for 10-15 years but they did close on it.
SteamedHams
bankerbear said:

southtexasbear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Also, HEB recently closed on land at Hewitt Drive/I-35 intersection. Now, they may not build for 10-15 years but they did close on it.
China Spring and 19th Street says hello
BylrFan
southtexasbear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

The new Costco/Walmart stores are going to force HEB's hand to build a new site in that east Hewitt area before china spring ever sees a new store. Very maddening.
trey3216
southtexasbear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Waiting on another grocer to make a terrible investment, and HEB will swoop in and slaughter them. That's their business model.

HEB owns property in many metro areas. In dfw, they let Kroger announce they were going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars revitalizing their stores in the region. They'd owned the property for 15+ years, then they built their stores that will absolutely destroy nearby high-grossing Kroger stores. Kroger will have to analyze whether they want to continue the war in those areas by supporting their lower revenue stores. It's absolutely brilliant, cutthroat business that is borderline military tactics.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
trey3216
BylrFan said:

southtexasbear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

The new Costco/Walmart stores are going to force HEB's hand to build a new site in that east Hewitt area before china spring ever sees a new store. Very maddening.

China Spring is more or less an urban sprawl development that wants to stay country at this juncture. It is landlocked, and HEB knows it. Build a direct road to get to West, TX from China Spring, and maybe things change. Until then, China spring will get Dollar General or drive into town to get groceries.
southtexasbear
trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

southtexasbear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

China Spring is more or less an urban sprawl development that wants to stay country at this juncture. It is landlocked, and HEB knows it. Build a direct road to get to West, TX from China Spring, and maybe things change. Until then, China spring will get Dollar General or drive into town to get groceries.

<cough cough> ummm DG Market. Thank you very much!
G$8
What corner of that intersection? I know they've built a few subdivisions with a couple of commercial spots on Hewitt Drive close to the interstate recently but last time I drove through there it seemed like there wouldn't be much room for an HEB there.
T-REX
trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Waiting on another grocer to make a terrible investment, and HEB will swoop in and slaughter them. That's their business model.

HEB owns property in many metro areas. In dfw, they let Kroger announce they were going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars revitalizing their stores in the region. They'd owned the property for 15+ years, then they built their stores that will absolutely destroy nearby high-grossing Kroger stores. Kroger will have to analyze whether they want to continue the war in those areas by supporting their lower revenue stores. It's absolutely brilliant, cutthroat business that is borderline military tactics.
happened right here in Keller lol. New heb is maybe 2 months old now. Large Kroger across the street just finished full reno in last couple months and is now a ghost town lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
PartyBear
G$8 said:

What corner of that intersection? I know they've built a few subdivisions with a couple of commercial spots on Hewitt Drive close to the interstate recently but last time I drove through there it seemed like there wouldn't be much room for an HEB there.

I think he may be talking about the Moonlight drive/Hewitt Drive exit of 35. I had not heard this about HEB but this is where I envision he means. If so this is just a mile maybe 2 miles north of the Lorena exits so this would also service Lorena.

Currently at that intersection is just a large nice looking RV dealership on the southeast corner. About a quarter mile due west on Hewitt Drive start residential neighborhoods with a new subdivision going in even closer. On the southwest corner of the intersection is a sign saying something like 100 or so acres for sale for retail development. This tract backs right next to the subdivision going in that I mentioned above. I'm thinking this is what he is talking about. Again I think the sign still says for sale but perhaps it says "future retail site". I'm not claiming I have paid that close attention other than the acreage and retail part of the sign. Also a super HEB and parking lot are only going to take about 6-7 acres not 100. But I think part of this tract must be the rumored site. Again I have heard nothing about HEB building around this part of the county until this thread. Just fleshing this out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.