What? The Grant Hotel Site is on the Market

5,119 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MrGolfguy
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per the WTH-

90 acres along Brazos near Baylor hit market https://wacotrib.com/news/local/business/development/waco-texas-brazos-river-development-land-real-estate-baylor-university-lm-dyson-fm-young/article_0be21872-55a5-11ef-a833-bb57bb6d061b.html
Fat Daddy
Audio of the article… maybe don't have to be a subscriber to read -

https://trinityaudio.ai/?utm_source=https%3A%2F%2Fwacotrib.com&utm_medium=player%2520lin

Sorry… that's not going to work either!
CTbruin
That acreage is currently a dump. It will take millions to clean it up and make it usable.
SteamedHams
Does it include the Lady Donell or not?
BylrFan
Baylor should claim it. If anyone that can eat up the cost and benefit them, it'll be BU.
Blackjack Bear
Better hope the previous "developer " for the Grant Hotel, has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Fat Daddy

SmallMan1209
Blackjack Bear said:

Better hope the previous "developer " for the Grant Hotel, has absolutely nothing to do with it.
As the article states, the previous developer/investor/owner (whatever you want to call him) is L.M. Dyson, a professor of real estate at Baylor. And things like this aren't always black and white. Lots of factors go into projects, especially at a site like this one.

Yes, it would be great that the next buyer can make things happen here.
CTbruin
Dyson has publicized about half a dozen "projects" that have never materialized.
Eleven-League Grant
Just think, some poor "person" has been paying $80,000 every year in property taxes just to hold that property (assuming they haven't finagled a wildlife special valuation).

Ouch.
Bear Doc

Edit: not embedding for some reason, but the original Grant Hotel commercial.
Robert Wilson
Does anyone have a progress report regarding the re-branding of the Sandman Motel on Franklin as The Kevin?
RealEstateBear
Another Dyson project that failed?? I'm shocked!

Dude is nothing but smoke and mirrors
RealEstateBear
The fact they didn't disclose the selling price means it's a ******ed high price. Why realtors list properties like this I'll never know
Fat Daddy
RealEstateBear said:

The fact they didn't disclose the selling price means it's a ******ed high price. Why realtors list properties like this I'll never know

It's strange because they have divided it into four tracts.
And can't help but wonder since the current owners aquired the property in December… did they acquire it on a deed in lieu type situation…
STxBear81
Seems perfect
Nguyen One Soon
Fat Daddy said:

And can't help but wonder since the current owners aquired the property in December… did they acquire it on a deed in lieu type situation…
It's been four plots for quite a while. F M Young owned all of it at different times. Lots of good info on the appraisal district website.
Fat Daddy
Nguyen One Soon said:

Fat Daddy said:

It's been four plots for quite a while. F M Young owned all of it at different times. Lots of good info on the appraisal district website.

I was referring to "strange " being that they wouldn't disclose the listing price even thought the property is four tracts.
ABC BEAR
Robert Wilson said:

Does anyone have a progress report regarding the re-branding of the Sandman Motel on Franklin as The Kevin?
This post is deserving of more love.
william
Eleven-League Grant said:

Just think, some poor "person" has been paying $80,000 every year in property taxes just to hold that property (assuming they haven't finagled a wildlife special valuation).

Ouch.
put some goats out.

- KKM

everybody loves cabrito!
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
CTbruin
The goats would die. It's that nasty
Eleven-League Grant
RealEstateBear said:

I admit that I know little about the property and nothing about the sellers ...

But, I recall once owning a tract that I was sure was a "can't miss - sure thing" moneymaker.

After holding it 15 years, I finally accepted that I couldn't have been more wrong.

So, I listed it with a broker local to the area and he asked me if I had a price in mind.

My response -- At this point, not only will no reasonable offer be refused, but some unreasonable offers may be accepted.

That might be the case in this instance. I dunno.
trey3216
One of the funniest things on this board were the amount of people that ever thought this project was serious, viable and waiting for it to happen while the rest of us knew it never could or would happen....and then joking about it as if it were right around the corner.

This "project" was an horrific joke from the start, and was a borderline scam to get people to invest in it/spend advertising dollars on something that would never even see blueprints drawn.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
GoldenBear03
It's the planned hotel version of Fyre Fest.
Blackjack Bear
trey3216 said:

One of the funniest things on this board were the amount of people that ever thought this project was serious, viable and waiting for it to happen while the rest of us knew it never could or would happen....and then joking about it as if it were right around the corner.

This "project" was an horrific joke from the start, and was a borderline scam to get people to invest in it/spend advertising dollars on something that would never even see blueprints drawn.
This right here. Not only this "project" but other "projects" this "developer" was involved in. Borderline scams.
Tiny Elvis
Someone remind me…in light of the construction at Foster Pavillion finishing up soon, are there currently any plans for a new downtown waterfront hotel? What about other riverfront plans…apartments, office space, restaurants, etc?
trey3216
Tiny Elvis said:

Someone remind me…in light of the construction at Foster Pavillion finishing up soon, are there currently any plans for a new downtown waterfront hotel? What about other riverfront plans…apartments, office space, restaurants, etc?
Ummmm, there are literally hundreds of new apartments/townhomes that are in the completion phase right now (many have already been completed) adjacent to the parking garage plus the other plans that are forthcoming. Lots of new stuff right there.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SmallMan1209
There are two lots close to the Foster that are for waterfront restaurants. It will be behind the Clay avenue parking garage and apartments on the riverside of University Parks Dr. They'll connect to the new riverwalk that is supposed to start construction this fall at some point.
FlyinDubGreenGold
There is still a remaining site in Riverfront Development, adjacent to Foster, for a hotel opportunity. It will face the park with the large trees and front on the river.
Yogi
How about an amusement park?

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
ABC BEAR
Yogi said:

Chortle, Chortle. Maybe they can acquire the train from old Lion's Park to transport fans to Foster.
Blackjack Bear
ABC BEAR said:

Yogi said:

Chortle, Chortle. Maybe they can acquire the train from old Lion's Park to transport fans to Foster.
It Would immediately derail and require someone else to clean it up.
BellCountyBear
Growing up in San Antonio, I've never seen a city screw up the opportunities presented by a river worse than Waco.
SmallMan1209
It's just taking Waco so long to utilize the Brazos the way San Antonio used their river.

There is still lot's of future development on the downtown side of I35/river plus a new subdivision over off of Lake Shore that runs along the Brazos that should be a nice community to live in. And if we're talking the entire stretch of the Brazos in Waco, Cameron Park and the BEast are great outdoor spots.
Calrocks94
About time use the river as the focal point for Waco a lot of exciting things and for the next 12 to 20 years downtown gonna be almost unrecognizable in a good way we're gonna turn into Austin without the politics, which is good private developments are gonna come hopefully we get a concert venue on the river ballpark for arts center all kinds of stuff exciting things in store
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.