North Valley Mills Restaurant Row

7,131 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Localbear
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FirmBear24 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Taste of China.
yep, they had little private rooms we had meetings in.
Adopt A Bear 2026

94 Palmer Williams

2025:
Ray Guy Award Watch List
• Preseason Second-Team All-America (Phil Steele)
• Preseason Third-Team All-America (Athlon)
• Preseason All-Big 12 (Big 12 Media)
• Preseason First-Team All-Big 12 (Athlon, Phil Steele)
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearly Interested said:

Was there a Senor Frogs out there or did I make that up?

I also have that memory for some reason...
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If there was something called that it was a local joint with a coincidental same name as the Mexican tourist chain down in the Carribean and on the Pacific coast of Mexico. I can assure you there has never been one of those in Waco. There certainly wouldn't have been a touristy spot such as that in Waco of the 80s. McLennan County was about half the size it is now back then.
Eleven-League Grant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

Bearly Interested said:

Was there a Senor Frogs out there or did I make that up?

I also have that memory for some reason...

I do as well. But, nothing I found on the internet suggests that the 'official' Senor Frogs ever had a location in Waco.

And yet, the word 'Frogs' still sticks with me. It also seemed like they had green floodlights around the place, and perhaps a big frog picture or piece of frog yard art.
TenBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.


I sort of kind of remember this too on VM. But like others can't remember any details. Mass hallucination maybe? I
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm pretty sure I was remembering the place called Pelican's on the river back in the 80s but mixing it up. I actually remember eating at that place after being reminded of it. The sign I thought I was remembering was a cartoonish like Pelican. But I don't know if that is a memory of something else a long time ago that isnt even in Waco being blended in. Hell the mind does weird things especially with things you don't think about often if at all over time until a conversation like this comes up. I could be remembering an old sign of "Buzzard Billy's" but converting the buzzard into a pelican.

I do not think I can recall this third restaurant near JT's and Steak n Ale.
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I'm pretty sure I was remembering the place called Pelican's on the river back in the 80s but mixing it up. I actually remember eating at that place after being reminded of it. The sign I thought I was remembering was a cartoonish like Pelican. But I don't know if that is a memory of something else a long time ago that isnt even in Waco being blended in. Hell the mind does weird things especially with things you don't think about often if at all over time until a conversation like this comes up. I could be remembering an old sign of "Buzzard Billy's" but converting the buzzard into a pelican.

I do not think I can recall this third restaurant near JT's and Steak n Ale.
Now that you mention that, I seem to remember a restaurant on the same side of MLK (Lake Brazos Drive) of the Water Works. I think, they too, "had a fire" and the building was razed a couple decades ago.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes that is correct. I'm not sure about the fire part but there was a restaurant in that area that burned in the mid 90s and I believe the owner was convicted of arson.

Quick edit here after the last post I was thinking despite driving that way every so often to Slo Rise, I began to question whether that building is still there. I just google earthed it and see no building that resembles the Pelicans place on MLK in the general area where I remembered it.
Grumpy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vito's Italian was fantastic. Went on several dates there in the 90s.
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grumpy said:

Vito's Italian was fantastic. Went on several dates there in the 90s.


It was great. It wasn't appreciated as much as it should have been. He served European size portions and I constantly heard complaints that his portions were too small. I liked it because you could eat dinner the Italian way, getting the appetizers, the entrees and sides, desserts and not feel miserably full and not have to cart out a big doggie bag. His family was from the same general area of Sicily as mine.
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr Gattis in Diamond Point Shopping Center in the late 70's early 80's was the first restaurant on South Valley Mills that I remember. My buddy was the manager and the restaurant franchise owner was John DeBolt. He also owned Giovanni's at the end of Wooded Acres and Richland Dr. As well as the Mr Gattis in the Temple Mall
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pelican's
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grumpy said:

Vito's Italian was fantastic. Went on several dates there in the 90s.
What a blast from the past.. great little place
Adopt A Bear 2026

94 Palmer Williams

2025:
Ray Guy Award Watch List
• Preseason Second-Team All-America (Phil Steele)
• Preseason Third-Team All-America (Athlon)
• Preseason All-Big 12 (Big 12 Media)
• Preseason First-Team All-Big 12 (Athlon, Phil Steele)
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Giovanni's was good. As was San Remo which came in after Giovanni's. It was there about 89-90/91? Anyone recall Orvieto located on the corner of Bosque and Lake Air. It was in a strip center where now there is a bank. Time frame here would have been about the same time as San Remo 89-90.
TenBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure Italian Village is mentioned somewhere in here, though not on VM drive. So upsetting that I remember loving it, though have no recall of how it looked inside or out.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was before my time in Waco. However I do know the building was torn down around the mid teens to late teens.
Grinnin bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I'm pretty sure I was remembering the place called Pelican's on the river back in the 80s but mixing it up. I actually remember eating at that place after being reminded of it. The sign I thought I was remembering was a cartoonish like Pelican. But I don't know if that is a memory of something else a long time ago that isnt even in Waco being blended in. Hell the mind does weird things especially with things you don't think about often if at all over time until a conversation like this comes up. I could be remembering an old sign of "Buzzard Billy's" but converting the buzzard into a pelican.

I do not think I can recall this third restaurant near JT's and Steak n Ale.
My grandmother and I once had dinner at Steak N' Ale at the table next to Gene Stallings while.Baylor was in the desert in the late 90s. I coulda sworn he and his wife were discussing Waco real estate.
Grumpy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His son-in-law is a builder/developer in town and his grandchildren live here, so that would make sense.
BearVerdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cathay House was always really good---until I had better Chinese food.



cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearVerdad said:

Cathay House was always really good---until I had better Chinese food.





For Waco it was always really good.

Sadly it a shell of its former self. I haven't been in years but I only hear bad things. Last time I went half the restaurant had boxes all over and clearly wasn't used for a restaurant. The food tasted like frozen Chinese you buy at HEB/Walmart and there were a handful of customers there. Service was non existent. I never got a refill of my drink, only saw the waiter to take my order, bring my food and the bill (at the same time). Had to wait a long time to get anyone to be able to pay.
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

BearVerdad said:

Cathay House was always really good---until I had better Chinese food.





For Waco it was always really good.

Sadly it a shell of its former self. I haven't been in years but I only hear bad things. Last time I went half the restaurant had boxes all over and clearly wasn't used for a restaurant. The food tasted like frozen Chinese you buy at HEB/Walmart and there were a handful of customers there. Service was non existent. I never got a refill of my drink, only saw the waiter to take my order, bring my food and the bill (at the same time). Had to wait a long time to get anyone to be able to pay.


Still the only place you can get chili pepper chicken in Waco. Not a great version of it mind you, but the only one. My kingdom for a Waco location of China Family from Austin or Mala Sichuan from Houston.
Karl, it didn't happen.
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cathay House changed owners years ago. Not the same since..
Adopt A Bear 2026

94 Palmer Williams

2025:
Ray Guy Award Watch List
• Preseason Second-Team All-America (Phil Steele)
• Preseason Third-Team All-America (Athlon)
• Preseason All-Big 12 (Big 12 Media)
• Preseason First-Team All-Big 12 (Athlon, Phil Steele)
Localbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw where Hobby Lobby is moving to old Belk's location. This will kill so much traffic near Slim Chickens and all the surviving restraints that way. Only Target is the unique pull now
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.