WHISKEY

8,289 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DaRealBears
Pam Manhart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[post removed due to violation of revised post length maximums]
Pam Manhart
If you haven't tried Barnett's for whiskey then you are missing out. The whiskey menu is a 3 leaf binder tempting you with 750 bottles. That's no typo. They also blend their own barrels of different whiskies to provide a drink available no where else and tailored to the Barnett's customers. My Dad recently went on a very expensive trip to taste some rare whiskey's and was pleasantly surprised to find many of them at Barnett's - plus some new ones.
They often have fun features to mix things up. Last weekend was a luau complete with a hog roast. Food options are always good. Easter was a 'keg hunt' complete with a carnival feature where you throw a ball at a target to dunk the bunny. (I conjure images of Ralph in A Christmas Story).
It is also the host of the Texas Whiskey Society where you can 'learn' with blind taste testing.
If you've ever wanted to try Louis XIII whiskey, they have a $200 drink available on the 4th of July.
Pam Manhart
For cocktails Dichotomy is good. Best mint julep I've ever had (and I lived in Louisville) I also like their rooftop because of the gorgeous view of the courthouse
BUbearinARK
Pam. I'd try a little water.

Nah! Post on!

Edit: btw, its my b-day so hoist another
Edmond Bear

Pam, after your review, I think every male on this board is in love with you.

Did we date while at Baylor?

Pam Manhart
Edmond Bear said:

Pam, after your review, I think every male on this board is in love with you.

Did we date while at Baylor?
Best Day of My Life!
Pam Manhart
Chanelle Fox (Baylor WBB 2000-20005) will be hosting a Jack Daniels tasting at Barnett's tonight 7pm
Pam Manhart
This was unexpected. A little woody, a touch of sweet, super smooth.
Boernebear
Wow, very impressive. Thanks, Pam! Will be watching for more from you on this very important topic of whiskey and Waco drinking establishments.

Have you been to Z's at the Curry? I haven't been yet but wondered about their selection and the vibe there.
TXWayne
Very interesting paragraph in my Balcones newsletter from today!!!

This quarter we will officially be beginning construction on a small corner of the distillery where we'll be looking to produce beer by the end of the year. It will be a small 5 bbl system with the main goal being to produce various styles of beer for sale in our own on-site tasting room. We may look at working with bars and restaurants around town sometime in 2020, but starting out we're looking to keep things extremely local. Details on "grand opening" of the brewery will hopefully be announced in the next newsletter but stay tuned to our social media for updates as we have them!
WILLIS
Boernebear said:

Wow, very impressive. Thanks, Pam! Will be watching for more from you on this very important topic of whiskey and Waco drinking establishments.

Have you been to Z's at the Curry? I haven't been yet but wondered about their selection and the vibe there.

Just googled that. Looks awesome from a couple pics. Reminds me a bit of Hearsay/hearsay on the green in Downtown Houston.

Boernebear
I agree it looks awesome and sounds promising, although I've seen some negative comments here in the Waco forum. Crossing my fingers that it's a good spot.
trey3216
Boernebear said:

Vibe is solid. Selection is decent.

Their antique bar is the star of the show.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Boernebear
Thanks for the insight!
Pam Manhart
trey3216 said:

Boernebear said:

Vibe is solid. Selection is decent.

Their antique bar is the star of the show.
Intriguing - I'll have to check it out - thanks!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hmmm...
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Someone explain to me how the trend of naming things "____ AT THE____" got started.

It's quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen in the history of happenings.
BUbearinARK
BarleyMcDougal said:

Someone explain to me how the trend of naming things "____ AT THE____" got started.

It's quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen in the history of happenings.
started AT THE beginning

#drinkup
baylrballa
Boernebear said:

The physical bar is cool. Everything else service, atmosphere, food, drinks, name, location all sub par.
trey3216
BUbearinARK said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

started AT THE beginning

#drinkup

@The Beginning was the Word??
trey3216
baylrballa said:

Boernebear said:

The physical bar is cool. Everything else service, atmosphere, food, drinks, name, location all sub par.

I rest my case
Boernebear
baylrballa said:

Boernebear said:

That's a bummer. Looked like so much potential!
Edmond Bear
Barnett's claims to have the largest whiskey selection in Texas and hosts the Texas Whiskey Society (which is probably just 3 or 4 local insurance agents, lawyers, or CPAs) that tastes and discusses whiskey every month.

Barnett's claims largest whiskey bar in Texas
trey3216
Edmond Bear said:

Barnett's claims to have the largest whiskey selection in Texas and hosts the Texas Whiskey Society (which is probably just 3 or 4 local insurance agents, lawyers, or CPAs) that tastes and discusses whiskey every month.

There's actually about 25-40 people that attend the monthly gatherings. A lot of local business owners and other whiskey enthusiasts. Nice attempt a a side jab though
WILLIS
lol
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

Edmond Bear said:

There's actually about 25-40 people that attend the monthly gatherings. A lot of local business owners and other whiskey enthusiasts. Nice attempt a a side jab though

Just funnin.
bularry
So what is whiskey count up to now and what are some hidden gems.
Pam Manhart
bularry said:

In March it was 750 but I know they keep adding.
trey3216
bularry said:

Too many hidden gems to list off the top of my head, but if it's something you've heard of that's pretty damned good, or if it's something you can't get at the Liqour store on a regular basis, they have it.

Pappy 10/12/15/18/23 and rye. Old Fitzgerald 11 BiB, thentire Kavalan collection, several 40/41 yr scotches, etc. there's a bunch of damn whiskey there. Lol
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Pam Manhart said:

bularry said:

In March it was 750 but I know they keep adding.
Yes, they're adding constantly.
WILLIS
Still haven't found a better bang for the buck than Dickel 12. Best $35 handle of whiskey available anywhere. Super unappreciated.
Osoflurane
I've been a re-purchaser of Rowan's Creek. 100 proof. Distilled under the Willett umbrella. I can usually pick it up for around $40 at Spec's. A great "any time" whiskey.

xiledinok
Pam Manhart said:

Is this glorified Frank Sinatra? I have a war chest but it's built on high dollar scotch, gin, and tequila. I have associates living in Kentucky. They can pick everything up on Bourbon row.
What 5 Bourbon's should I add to the war chest?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Buffalo Trace x 5 if on the trail

trey3216
xiledinok said:

Pam Manhart said:

Is this glorified Frank Sinatra? I have a war chest but it's built on high dollar scotch, gin, and tequila. I have associates living in Kentucky. They can pick everything up on Bourbon row.
What 5 Bourbon's should I add to the war chest?

If they can get it:

Old Fitzgerald 11 BiB
William Larue Weller
Blanton's Gold, or Blanton's reg
Weller 12
EH Taylor Barrel Proof
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.