BEER

8,554 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yogi
Pam Manhart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I met a guy opening up Waco's third brewery. It will be called Waco Ale Co and should open the end of July. It is downtown on Austin Ave next to the candy shop.
I would love to hear from people who have been to Brotherwell or Bare Arms.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I had Brotherwell at the Baylor Club with Colt and Grayson one day. At least I think it was. Thought it was good. Need to check that place out. Might be a cool place to host a S365 event.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Pam Manhart said:

I met a guy opening up Waco's third brewery. It will be called Waco Ale Co and should open the end of July. It is downtown on Austin Ave next to the candy shop.
Bare Arms is pretty good. Nothing they do is extraordinary but it's a solid brewery. Brotherwell's Wit is phenomenal and their Tripel is firmly above average. Everything else that I've had of their's is ok.
Pam Manhart
Texas' new beer to go laws should increase the revenue stream, investment and improvements for all 3
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Pam Manhart said:

Texas' new beer to go laws should increase the revenue stream, investment and improvements for all 3
Not really in Waco. Bare Arms already sold 6'ers to go. I think it was more of a city ordinance deal across the state. Waco already allowed it.
Ludwig von Missi
Had a few Brotherwell Tripels at the Hippodrome on Thursday. Pretty delicious.
BearCPA
Creekside from Bare Arms is my favorite craft beer. It's the closest craft beer I've found to match up with fine domestics such as Bud Light or exotics like Tecate Light. Good stuff.
Support Our Veterans @ paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/3360500
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BearCPA said:

Creekside from Bare Arms is my favorite craft beer. It's the closest craft beer I've found to match up with fine domestics such as Bud Light or exotics like Tecate Light. Good stuff.
That's messed up.
BaylorGuy314
BearCPA said:

fine domestics such as Bud Light
I see what you did there
Ludwig von Missi
Had some Miller Lites at George's last night. Would highly recommend.
RebelT
BarleyMcDougal said:

Pam Manhart said:

Not really in Waco. Bare Arms already sold 6'ers to go. I think it was more of a city ordinance deal across the state. Waco already allowed it.

False. Any brewery that sold their beer to go in Texas was breaking the law. There were different rules for brewpubs and other types of establishments, but breweries were not allowed to sell beer to go in any city in Texas.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Pam Manhart said:

False. Any brewery that sold their beer to go in Texas was breaking the law. There were different rules for brewpubs and other types of establishments, but breweries were not allowed to sell beer to go in any city in Texas.
Hmm...I don't doubt the accuracy of this. I just remember that Bare Arms sold sixers before this law. Maybe because they had food trucks outside. I've also purchased beers from other breweries before this law.
trey3216
Pam Manhart said:

Brent is a friend of mine. He brews some pretty damn tasty suds. He has an RIS that's incredible, and his IPA's are also very good.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Useful Idiot
Hey Bears fans! My name is Brett Stewart, and I am the owner of Waco Ale Co. I'm a native Wacoan as well as a Midway and Baylor grad. We just opened our doors for limited weekly hours and are gearing up for a grand opening on August 24th. We are at 806 Austin Avenue. I would absolutely love for die hard Baylor fans like yourselves to pregame and postgame at our taproom. So far, our crowds have been outstanding, and we are about to announce our food menu. All sicem365 members will receive a free logo pint glass with your first regular priced pint purchase. Hope to see you in a couple weeks!
Cheers and sic 'em!

(Hey Ashley, my brother and I are the ones that brought the Balcones bottles to the Texas Bowl tailgate for the guys over at Barnett's.)
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Useful Idiot said:

Hey Bears fans! My name is Brett Stewart, and I am the owner of Waco Ale Co. I'm a native Wacoan as well as a Midway and Baylor grad. We just opened our doors for limited weekly hours and are gearing up for a grand opening on August 24th. We are at 806 Austin Avenue. I would absolutely love for die hard Baylor fans like yourselves to pregame and postgame at our taproom. So far, our crowds have been outstanding, and we are about to announce our food menu. All sicem365 members will receive a free logo pint glass with your first regular priced pint purchase. Hope to see you in a couple weeks!
Cheers and sic 'em!

(Hey Ashley, my brother and I are the ones that brought the Balcones bottles to the Texas Bowl tailgate for the guys over at Barnett's.)
awesome we need to connect for sure
trey3216
Brett,

My Crowley if Rye tasted pretty damn good today. I'll be back soon
Boernebear
I've been waiting for Waco Ale Company to open for awhile...that sign has been quite the tease. I live a block away when I'm in Waco for games or just fun, and I can't wait to give this a try!
Ludwig von Missi
trey3216 said:

Brett,

Must be good. Trey no type good after lots beer.
trey3216
Crash Davis said:

trey3216 said:

Brett,

Must be good. Trey no type good after lots beer.

Damned autocorrect on iPhone will get you
Pam Manhart
Useful Idiot said:

Cheers and sic 'em!

Checked it out Friday night. Good crowd nice atmosphere cool facility and great beer. Flights were real affordable. I liked all 4 that I tried with 3 of them being very good. Looking forward to their menu
baylrballa
Waco Ale is a half-step above the other guys if they can remain consistent. Was really impressed with several of their lighter style beers which is difficult.
Pam Manhart
Visited Southern Roots Brewery this weekend. Good beer, live music and food. A big crowd turned out. I like the double garage doors which opened to the street and added to the atmosphere. The band was Oxford Comma which I hope to see again. Played a variety of music and had a few people dancing
https://instagr.am/p/B3gRMp0DQqNLlrqZ1raEnhn5AlU9nkvGbaF1iQ0
Edmond Bear

So, if you had to put Waco brewery visits in order. What would the order be?
Pam Manhart
Edmond Bear said:

Depends on your priority. Disclaimer - I have not been to Bare Arms or Brotherwell. I would say if the beer is priority then Waco Ale. If atmosphere is the priority, then I would say Southern Roots. Anxious to hear others' opinions and if I need to visit the other 2!
TXWayne
Pam Manhart said:

Edmond Bear said:

Depends on your priority. Disclaimer - I have not been to Bare Arms or Brotherwell. I would say if the beer is priority then Waco Ale. If atmosphere is the priority, then I would say Southern Roots. Anxious to hear others' opinions and if I need to visit the other 2!

I have been to all but Waco Ale and I will make it there in the next week as I am coming down for the volleyball game Saturday and back for football on Thursday. Been a mug club member at Bare Arms since they opened and was the only game in town. They do some really great beers and prices very good. Atmosphere is not great but not bad. Brotherwell has some good brews but the tap room needs a lot of help, think they may be working that. Made it to Southern Roots last football game and it was hopping. Great live music and certainly the best atmosphere by far, beer was just average. Waco Ale is having a pint night at Pinewood Pub this Friday and I may check their beer out there since we will be down for the volleyball game Saturday. We will check out their place before the WVU game as I have an AirBnb right near them for that game.
OsoCoreyell
Waco Ale is AWESOME! Had a great time there.
TXWayne
Useful Idiot said:

Cheers and sic 'em!

Hi Brett,
Made it to Waco Ale twice in the last two weeks when we were down for a volleyball game and then last Thursday for the WVU game. Enjoyed it very much and Friday Night Flights is a great idea. Staying open till midnight is especially helpful and we were there till closing Thursday night. Look forward to visiting often.
Edmond Bear

My wife and I will be visiting Waco Ale this Friday. Tell me more about Friday Night Flights.

TXWayne
Edmond Bear said:

My wife and I will be visiting Waco Ale this Friday. Tell me more about Friday Night Flights.

Normally a flight is $10 but on Friday it is only $6 so I did two flights (4 beers) plus a single to try all nine of their beers. Then after the WVU game no Thursday I left with two crowlers of their Hazy IPA.
WILLIS
TXWayne said:

Edmond Bear said:

Normally a flight is $10 but on Friday it is only $6 so I did two flights (4 beers) plus a single to try all nine of their beers. Then after the WVU game no Thursday I left with two crowlers of their Hazy IPA.

Had to look up what a crowler is. Used to get a Growler filled occasionally at the Dancing Bear but haven't used one in years. Interesting.

https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/what-is-a-crowler-beer
Pam Manhart
WILLIS said:

TXWayne said:

Edmond Bear said:

Had to look up what a crowler is. Used to get a Growler filled occasionally at the Dancing Bear but haven't used one in years. Interesting.

Ha, I assumed it was a typo - thanks for the research!
TXWayne
WILLIS said:

TXWayne said:

Edmond Bear said:

You got to be a dedicated beer drinker like I to know all this stuff They are great and very portable, I got here and get them a lot, https://www.tapsandcaps.com/locations/lewisville/. There was a period of time several years ago where our fine TABC decided they were illegal for places like Taps and Caps and made them pull them. They got sued and lost and it was a beautiful thing. T&C has them in 16 and 32 oz. I also have several growlers but don't use them a lot any more.
trey3216
Finally made it over to Southern Roots. Pretty solid place. Beer is good.
Boernebear
Made it to Southern Roots last night. Beer was good and nice place with friendly service. Didn't have the pizza but it looked legit.
transmit5by9
Went to Southern Roots (Monday night). Not surprisingly, business was slow, but the pizza and beer were first rate. Plenty of parking too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.