The one big eyesore in downtown Waco

10,364 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cowboycwr
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wish someone would buy and rehab the blond brick building at 7th and Austin. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb.
Fred Barber
BUbearinARK
Pic of this blonde brick house or it didn't happen
Old300Bear
Sorry not going to trek downtown to snap a picture which I wouldn't know how to post.
Fred Barber
BUbearinARK
I have to do freakin everything for you from Arkansas?

Which number?

whitetrash
I presume he means NW corner next to Suit City, since NE corner is a parking lot, SE corner is Cameron Trading and SW corner is the old Monnigs that is now a server farm/data center.

The owner of the building in question goes by the first name of Allah. You figure it out from there.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
whitetrash said:

I presume he means NW corner next to Suit City, since NE corner is a parking lot, SE corner is Cameron Trading and SW corner is the old Monnigs that is now a server farm/data center.

The owner of the building in question goes by the first name of Allah. You figure it out from there.

Not sure what you mean
Boernebear
The only completely vacant one is #3 above. It has been boarded up for years. Honestly not sure if they ever replaced the windows after the '53 tornado or have just left the boards on them since then. I'd love to see something become of this, and it has much potential.
TrapIt4Life
Probably referring to this...

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Yeah, that needs a big upgrade.

How much?
TrapIt4Life
The Clemens Building served a variety of commercial and retail functions throughout its lifetime. For many decades, it housed Grayson's Ready to Wear Women's Clothing Store (directories show this tenant by at least 1943 through the last available directory in 1967). The Clemens Building is representative of the more modest two-part commercial buildings that were erected along Austin Avenue in the first decades of the twentieth century. Many of its type have been altered over time, or were destroyed during the 1953 tomado; this building, though vacant and partially boarded shut, remains intact and retains a high degree of integrity.
Wichitabear
Lololol
Wichitabear
Time to call Chip and Jo
Edmond Bear
TrapIt4Life said:

Probably referring to this...

When I was a student 70% of downtown looked like this..
Wichitabear
Same here. Waco today is nothing like it was when I was a student. I can't believe how it has changed. So exciting to see
Old300Bear
Yes that is the one.
Fred Barber
CTbruin
IMO, the biggest eyesore downtown is the flea bag, rent by the hour, filthy motel between Austin and Franklin on about 11th street. Don't know why the City has not condemned it.
Old300Bear
I know that First Presbyterian has tried to buy it in the past.
Fred Barber
TrapIt4Life
The Oak Lodge Motor Inn? That place always looks like it is straight out of a scene from The Wire.
WacoKelly83
We did some work on the 1st Presbyterian several years back and the hotel was pretty scary then. People at the church said the hotel was where released prisoners from the jail were sent when they had no other place to go. My crew worked with their head on swivels. Constantly had people from across the street panhandling. The church wanted that property pretty bad just to clean up the neighborhood.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Oak Lodge is supposed to be going under a remodel.
UPBaylor
Brian Ethridge said:

That's bad news, IMO. Unless, it's a total redo into a high end hotel or something. Waco doesn't need a motor lodge type motel down in that area.

City of Waco should have Waco PD camped out in the area writing up every little thing they can find while they leave their lights flashing to scare off customers. Then, send the inspectors over there monthly. Just pester the heck out of the place until they are motivated to sell to someone like the church.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

Tactical Nuke?

As I said on the Waco hotel thread: someone said it looked rundown, I said it looked like it ran down El Capitan
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
OsoCoreyell
First 5 floors of th Alico are pretty hideous
trey3216
OsoCoreyell said:

I wish they'd redo the awnings to original spec instead of that 60's rock crap they have on there now. It's an awesome building though
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Old300Bear
In the pictures I have seen pre tornado, the Alico was a beautiful building. That aggregate crap is horrible.
Fred Barber
Yogi
Brian Ethridge said:

Yeah, that needs a big upgrade.

How much?

I'm in!!!
jbbear
Brian Ethridge said:

New hookers?
Banned BarleyMcDougal
OsoCoreyell said:

I don't know why, but the specificity gave me a chuckle.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
jbbear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

New hookers?
No, but they got Magnolia makeovers.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jbbear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

New hookers?

Non-dead
Yogi
BarleyMcDougal said:

jbbear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

New hookers?
No, but they got Magnolia makeovers.
A little shiplap could be a huge improvement...
CorsicanaBear
Oak Lodge is like the floor show for Milo's on the 5 days a year its comfortable to sit outside. Always something interesting going on.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Dia del DougO
whitetrash said:

Kinda like a lot of the other blonde brickhouses around here, they look better from a distance.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BaylorGuy314
Oak Lodge caught fire not long ago and yet, it survives. They wanted $1.5MM for it 5 years ago. I'm sure it'd be a good bit more today. The dirt is not worth that at this point once you consider purchase price + tear down + remedation.

The building Fred speaks of is, indeed, owned by a unique individual. He wanted nearly $1MM for that property before Magnolia came. I have no idea how much he wants now but I would assume it's substantially more. It's in very poor shape and basically needs a rebuild from the ground up. Hell, it's probably more expensive than a rebuild from the ground up. The TIF board will certainly assist but it will still an ambitious project.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BaylorGuy314 said:

Oak Lodge caught fire not long ago and yet, it survives. They wanted $1.5MM for it 5 years ago. I'm sure it'd be a good bit more today. The dirt is not worth that at this point once you consider purchase price + tear down + remedation.

The building Fred speaks of is, indeed, owned by a unique individual. He wanted nearly $1MM for that property before Magnolia came. I have no idea how much he wants now but I would assume it's substantially more. It's in very poor shape and basically needs a rebuild from the ground up. Hell, it's probably more expensive than a rebuild from the ground up. The TIF board will certainly assist but it will still an ambitious project.
I'm all for revitalizing Waco, but the B.S. idea the city is trying to sell that property values are skyrocketing in Waco proper is not going to fly. The property tax increases that have been mentioned in the Trib and other sources are crazy when you look at where some of those houses are located.

Waco would literally have to demolish rows of houses and city blocks by the hundreds and build new houses and structures to make this idea feasible. Lorena? China Spring? Hewitt? Woodway? Ok. I get it. Not in Waco. The Californians, Midwesterners and Yankees aren't moving to Waco proper.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.