The one big eyesore in downtown Waco

10,384 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cowboycwr
A Grateful Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fan of the Alico building, though not of the ALICO sign.

[ducks]
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
Dia del DougO

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BUbearinARK
A Grateful Bear said:

Fan of the Alico building, though not of the ALICO sign.

[ducks]

needs notches
Wichitabear
Beautiful pic DougO.
Old300Bear
Don't need to duck, but to me the Alico sign is Waco. Kind of like Pegasus sign is Dallas.
Fred Barber
Weston Rogers
BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Oak Lodge caught fire not long ago and yet, it survives. They wanted $1.5MM for it 5 years ago. I'm sure it'd be a good bit more today. The dirt is not worth that at this point once you consider purchase price + tear down + remedation.

The building Fred speaks of is, indeed, owned by a unique individual. He wanted nearly $1MM for that property before Magnolia came. I have no idea how much he wants now but I would assume it's substantially more. It's in very poor shape and basically needs a rebuild from the ground up. Hell, it's probably more expensive than a rebuild from the ground up. The TIF board will certainly assist but it will still an ambitious project.
I'm all for revitalizing Waco, but the B.S. idea the city is trying to sell that property values are skyrocketing in Waco proper is not going to fly. The property tax increases that have been mentioned in the Trib and other sources are crazy when you look at where some of those houses are located.

Waco would literally have to demolish rows of houses and city blocks by the hundreds and build new houses and structures to make this idea feasible. Lorena? China Spring? Hewitt? Woodway? Ok. I get it. Not in Waco. The Californians, Midwesterners and Yankees aren't moving to Waco proper.

They're moving into Castle Heights, Mountainview, all along Lake Shore... Also most of what people consider "China Spring" and all Bosqueville are actually Waco zip codes and use Waco city services.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Oak Lodge caught fire not long ago and yet, it survives. They wanted $1.5MM for it 5 years ago. I'm sure it'd be a good bit more today. The dirt is not worth that at this point once you consider purchase price + tear down + remedation.

The building Fred speaks of is, indeed, owned by a unique individual. He wanted nearly $1MM for that property before Magnolia came. I have no idea how much he wants now but I would assume it's substantially more. It's in very poor shape and basically needs a rebuild from the ground up. Hell, it's probably more expensive than a rebuild from the ground up. The TIF board will certainly assist but it will still an ambitious project.
I'm all for revitalizing Waco, but the B.S. idea the city is trying to sell that property values are skyrocketing in Waco proper is not going to fly. The property tax increases that have been mentioned in the Trib and other sources are crazy when you look at where some of those houses are located.

Waco would literally have to demolish rows of houses and city blocks by the hundreds and build new houses and structures to make this idea feasible. Lorena? China Spring? Hewitt? Woodway? Ok. I get it. Not in Waco. The Californians, Midwesterners and Yankees aren't moving to Waco proper.

They're moving into Castle Heights, Mountainview, all along Lake Shore... Also most of what people consider "China Spring" and all Bosqueville are actually Waco zip codes and use Waco city services.
Yep. Know people that bought in Waco proper sight unseen due to price and gentrification occurring.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Yep. Know people that bought in Waco proper sight unseen due to price and gentrification occurring.
Yep, was at Barnett's one afternoon and met a couple that was in from Michigan. They bought a nice property on the Brazos in Chalk Bluff, Waco city limits, and had never seen the place or been to Texas before.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

While that might be so, the larger contingent of those people are moving to the smaller cities around Waco. But that's true about China Spring and Bosqueville.

Still, the dramatic increases in Waco property taxes are without merit in most of the neighborhoods.
trey3216
BarleyMcDougal said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

While that might be so, the larger contingent of those people are moving to the smaller cities around Waco. But that's true about China Spring and Bosqueville.

Still, the dramatic increases in Waco property taxes are without merit in most of the neighborhoods.
There are 1300 or so new homes being built or about to be built in Waco right now. It's not just coming out of left field (coast)
Funky Town Bear
BarleyMcDougal said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Come to DFW and see what the Tarrant County Appraisal district is doing to us. Waco isn't that different on that front.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

There are 1300 or so new homes being built or about to be built in Waco right now. It's not just coming out of left field (coast)
and Waco needed to up their taxes to fix the roads that have plagued struts, shocks, and mufflers for the better part of 4 decades.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Funky Town Bear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Come to DFW and see what the Tarrant County Appraisal district is doing to us. Waco isn't that different on that front.
or Collin County or Grayson County, or Denton County
Banned BarleyMcDougal
I'm gonna buy some acreage over in Goober Hill and try to sell these CaliMidwestankees some plots. I'll need a tagline to catch their attention...like "Free possum meat! Bucolic splendor meets bubonic plague!"
Brian Ethridge
Staff
It's on the market, 1.75 million, 17K+ sq/ft.
SIC EM 94
CorsicanaBear said:

Oak Lodge is like the floor show for Milo's on the 5 days a year its comfortable to sit outside. Always something interesting going on.

I bet Oak Lodge has better service than Milo's. Milo's was horrible and the food was only slightly better.
Scratchy Bear
SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Oak Lodge is like the floor show for Milo's on the 5 days a year its comfortable to sit outside. Always something interesting going on.

I bet Oak Lodge has better service than Milo's. Milo's was horrible and the food was only slightly better.
Completely agree. I'm sure Oak Lodge has some rooms with kitchenettes, so those folks are probably cooking something better than Milo's as well. I gave them two chances and the food and service were horrendous both times.
trey3216
Scratchy Bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Completely agree. I'm sure Oak Lodge has some rooms with kitchenettes, so those folks are probably cooking something better than Milo's as well. I gave them two chances and the food and service were horrendous both times.

"These are not the cooks you're looking for" .gif
BUbearinARK
trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The cabinets are super solid oak. Kitchenettes are just quaint at the lodge.

trey3216
BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The cabinets are super solid oak. Kitchenettes are just quaint at the lodge.

i was thinking more along the lines of...

Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

I think that was my room at the last Homecoming. Better than driving to Temple.
3rd String Kicker
One time a few years ago, I looked up reviews for Oak Lodge. There was a pic of two ladies inside a room cooking with a giant wok over an open flame with a propane tank. I'm not kidding. Maybe I can find it again.
Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

Yogi said:

I think that was my room at the last Homecoming. Better than driving to Temple.

Temple isn't that bad now that construction has cleared up.

And, now that they demolished the Astro, when the Viking, the Thunderbird, the Delta Inn are at capacity, Temple it is.

Hell, because of the construction, you can't sleep under the 5th street overpass anymore...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BUbearinARK
3rd String Kicker said:

One time a few years ago, I looked up reviews for Oak Lodge. There was a pic of two ladies inside a room cooking with a giant wok over an open flame with a propane tank. I'm not kidding. Maybe I can find it again.
Thank you. And thank you Oal Lodge Facebook page.

cowboycwr
Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

There are several spots all over Waco that are like that. People think they are China Spring, Hewitt, Woodway, etc but are actually in the city limits, thus have city services, etc.

Then again that is how it works all over the country in most cities since city limits often stop on one side of the street, creek, river, etc. and the other side is a different city.
CammoTX
cowboycwr said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

There are several spots all over Waco that are like that. People think they are China Spring, Hewitt, Woodway, etc but are actually in the city limits, thus have city services, etc.

Then again that is how it works all over the country in most cities since city limits often stop on one side of the street, creek, river, etc. and the other side is a different city.
Always funny when people move to Houston. There are more people that live in unincorporated Harris County than live in the City limits of Houston.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CammoTX said:

cowboycwr said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Always funny when people move to Houston. There are more people that live in unincorporated Harris County than live in the City limits of Houston.
An hour away from each other still in Houston.
cowboycwr
CammoTX said:

cowboycwr said:

Rog said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

True. But not by much.

Also, isn't that true of most of the big cities in TX that the county has more people, mainly just because so many of the counties are large.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.