Work starts on local complex including theater, 'golf entertainment'

8,588 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Volunteer
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Work-starts-on-local-complex-including-theater-golf-entertainment-512899411.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10

WACO, Texas (KWTX) The developer of a 143-acres mixed-use project in Waco broke ground Thursday on the first phase of the project.
The Waco City Council voted earlier this month to approve $5.3 million in sales and property tax incentives for the development of a $15 million entertainment complex, which could include a coveted Togolf franchise.
One of the first projects to open its doors will be a 14-screen Cinemark Waco and XD theater.
"We are excited to have broken ground with the City of Waco on this community development, which will offer a star-studded cast of family entertainment anchors representative of NewQuest's premium retail centers," said Steve Alvis, a managing partner said.
"There is a great momentum with road construction underway on the new public connection between New Road and Interstate 35, which is scheduled for completion by year-end."
In its press release, NewQuest said it has also reached terms with a "national retailer in golf entertainment," but declined to name it.
A Topgolf spokeswoman confirmed Thursday the company is "currently exploring potential expansion in the Waco area for a local Topgolf experience," but had no further comment.

"I'm looking forward to this development and our partnership with this developer," John Kinnaird, Dist. 3 councilman said after the vote in early July.
"The way it's structured, I think, protects the city and also paves way forward for us for future developments."
The mixed-use development has a total taxable value of $123 million, according to city documents that show with phase one and phase two of the project, which doesn't include Top Golf, the city will receive an estimated $3.3 million in the first 10 years, then an estimated $1.9 million per year after that.
Harrison said the incentive contract for the developer to recoup $5.3 million in infrastructure costs is performance-based.
"There's no money off the top from the city, it is not an upfront grant, it is a rebate structure," said Harrison. "The developer must produce that revenue before we can rebate any of it."'
Future plans for the site include multifamily, office and hospitality ventures.
Old300Bear
I am excited about this and the MovieBowl Grill, but I don't see how Waco can support two of these places. Hope I am dead wrong.
Fred Barber
PartyBear
We shall see I suppose. I'm kind of dissapointed in the loop 340 and 35 development. It was billed as a family entertainment complex but not the same type of deal as planned across the highway. Then it turns out to be almost the same damn thing after all.
IASIP Rocks
I'm very excited about this
cowboycwr
So which of the current theaters will be the first to have a major overhaul or close first?

You can go to either theater at any time and barely see a line, except for major releases like Endgame recently.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

So which of the current theaters will be the first to have a major overhaul or close first?

You can go to either theater at any time and barely see a line, except for major releases like Endgame recently.
Gotta be Regal that goes first.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PartyBear
Here is the problem inconsistent with all of this. The growth of the county is on the 84 corridor on 84 in Hewitt and Woodway and on out toward McGregor. Now the two new theaters are going in right next to each other on 340 and 35. That is moving away from the growth off the actual county. I don't think folks in Woodway are going to want to drive out there from Woodway/Hewitt McGregor etc. I suspect Hollywood survives and probably the other one as well. The new theaters have to compete with each other for folks who live in that area and primarily the tourists. Should be interesting to see if they both can make it. Should be interesting to see what develops. I just think the 84 corridor folks are going to keep going to the Hollywood for movies.
baylrballa
PartyBear said:

Here is the problem inconsistent with all of this. The growth of the county is on the 84 corridor on 84 in Hewitt and Woodway and on out toward McGregor. Now the two new theaters are going in right next to each other on 340 and 35. That is moving away from the growth off the actual county. I don't think folks in Woodway are going to want to drive out there from Woodway/Hewitt McGregor etc. I suspect Hollywood survives and probably the other one as well. The new theaters have to compete with each other for folks who live in that area and primarily the tourists. Should be interesting to see if they both can make it. Should be interesting to see what develops. I just think the 84 corridor folks are going to keep going to the Hollywood for movies.

McGregor here, we drive to the hippodrome mostly now,
Would bypass the two other theaters in a second to go to the new ones. They are both pretty terrible.
PartyBear
The hippodrome is a specialty theater. But ok you will drive to 340 and 35 or new road and 35 for a movie. I think most people out there will still go to Hollywood out of convenience even though it is no longer fancy and new.
SoonerFrogs
Cinemark is far superior to anything in Waco. And they're gun friendly. Hollywood hasn't updated since it was built i the 90s and generally sucks a big fatty.
BaylorHistory
SoonerFrogs said:

Cinemark is far superior to anything in Waco. And they're gun friendly. Hollywood hasn't updated since it was built i the 90s and generally sucks a big fatty.
Interesting. I guess theaters don't sell enough alcohol to keep out the guns? I feel like Alamo Drafthouse wouldn't qualify.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

I think you underestimate the growth going on in other areas of the county as well. I agree the 84 corridor is growing rapidly but so are other areas.

I think the people will bypass the older 2 theaters for newer ones with better quality screens/projectors, better seats, etc.

Just like they do for restaurants.

Not to mention that the drive is not that far. Most of Hewitt can go down Bagby from Sun valley and the drive from 84 around Mcgregor/ woodway drive area is not that far.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

The hippodrome is a specialty theater. But ok you will drive to 340 and 35 or new road and 35 for a movie. I think most people out there will still go to Hollywood out of convenience even though it is no longer fancy and new.
I mean it's Waco. It isn't like anything is very far. Regal and AMC are 4 miles from each other all on the same road more or less. I drive by Regal most of the time when I'm going to see a movie to see it at the Hippodrome or AMC. It really comes down to what time I want to see the movie to be honest.
cowboycwr
BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

I mean it's Waco. It isn't like anything is very far. Regal and AMC are 4 miles from each other all on the same road more or less. I drive by Regal most of the time when I'm going to see a movie to see it at the Hippodrome or AMC. It really comes down to what time I want to see the movie to be honest.
Excellent point.

It will also come down to things like IMAX. Hollywood doesn't have it do they? The other one has one screen i believe.

Will either of the new ones have IMAX?

I really don't have a preference as the 2 current ones are the same distance from my house. But when I have wanted to watch a release in IMAX that impacts which one I choose.... because one isn't really a choice.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Excellent point.

It will also come down to things like IMAX. Hollywood doesn't have it do they? The other one has one screen i believe.

I really don't have a preference as the 2 current ones are the same distance from my house. But when I have wanted to watch a release in IMAX that impacts which one I choose.... because one isn't really a choice.
AMC has 1 IMAX screen which is the only one in town. While it is "IMAX" I think it's considered to be a step below a traditional IMAX screen.
UBBY
BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Excellent point.

AMC has 1 IMAX screen which is the only one in town. While it is "IMAX" I think it's considered to be a step below a traditional IMAX screen.
I have been a few times to that IMAX screen and I don't even notice a difference in sound or visual quality to one of the normal screens. It has nicer seating.
BaylorHistory
UBBY said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Excellent point.

I have been a few times to that IMAX screen and I don't even notice a difference in sound or visual quality to one of the normal screens. It has nicer seating.
I think it was also the first one to switch to reserved seating which was nice. It's been a couple months, but isn't AMC now completely reserved seating?
UBBY
BaylorHistory said:

UBBY said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Excellent point.

I think it was also the first one to switch to reserved seating which was nice. It's been a couple months, but isn't AMC now completely reserved seating?
Yes
UBBY
BaylorHistory said:

UBBY said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Excellent point.

It's funny, that actually worked to effect when I went and saw Avengers Endgame. 3 people couldn't sit down in the theater for tickets they already paid for because it was full. The usher lady paused the film and started going through checking peoples tickets. A few minutes later 3 teenagers on the other side of the theater got up discreetly and left the theater.
It really makes it to where you can't be screwed out of a seat that you paid for, which is nice.
Old300Bear
This is just me speculating, but I wonder if this property might give us a chance at a Papadeaux's. Probably no chance, but it seems to me that an upper scale entertainment property might just be attractive. It is certainly a new dynamic for Waco.
Fred Barber
Yogi
The drawing says "Italian Kitchen", which Carraba's calls itself.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
HalibutRetro
Top Golf would be great for Waco.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

It takes about 4-6 minutes to get from Hewitt/Woodway to 340/35. Have you ever driven by Chuy's? Know where most of the people eating there live?
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
UBBY
trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

It takes about 4-6 minutes to get from Hewitt/Woodway to 340/35. Have you ever driven by Chuy's? Know where most of the people eating there live?
It's a pretty smart location since the 2 largest towns are close to there. Hewitt is at around 15,000 and Robinson is around 12,000.
lrwells50
PartyBear said:

Man, y'all would ***** if you were hung with a new rope! It takes longer to get from my daughter's in Preston Hollow to The Mercury for dinner.

I agree that during football weekends the traffic is going to be nasty. We drive from Paris to the ball games, and hate I35 so badly that we go I635 to I45, then cut over at Corsicana, and go into town on Waco Drive.
Bear Fever
HalibutRetro said:

Top Golf would be great for Waco.
Agree totally. Hope this happens.Top Golf is a lot of fun but we rarely go. Closest one to me is in Austin and as much as I like Top Golf, it takes a lot more than Top Golf to get me to go to Austin!
PartyBear
lrwells50 said:

PartyBear said:

Man, y'all would ***** if you were hung with a new rope! It takes longer to get from my daughter's in Preston Hollow to The Mercury for dinner.

I agree that during football weekends the traffic is going to be nasty. We drive from Paris to the ball games, and hate I35 so badly that we go I635 to I45, then cut over at Corsicana, and go into town on Waco Drive.
Explain something. How is it bxtching to state that the two existing theaters may survive the two new theaters?
lrwells50
PartyBear said:

lrwells50 said:

PartyBear said:

Explain something. How is it bxtching to state that the two existing theaters may survive the two new theaters?
To me, the point of your post was how long it would take people on the 84 corridor to get to the new theatres, and most people that live in large urban areas wouldn't think it was a problem.
Yogi
lrwells50 said:

PartyBear said:

lrwells50 said:

PartyBear said:

To me, the point of your post was how long it would take people on the 84 corridor to get to the new theatres, and most people that live in large urban areas wouldn't think it was a problem.
Yeah, when I lived in the big city, I had at least three megaplexes within a five mile radius of my place. In the big city, there are theaters all over town. You're always going to be near one.

In Waco, people don't seem to care about driving to Central Texas Marketplace or Legends Crossing to shop or eat. I was in Waco this past weekend and the table next to ours was from Riesel.

And while movies as a pastime are probably on their way out due to technology, they are still huge. I was in Waco a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and the AMC on Valley Mills and Franklin was absolutely packed. The cars went all the way to the edges of the parking lot.

So, that market is still there.

I just hope Westview Lanes survives. If they'd only serve those burgers they did back in the late 70's/ early 80's, they'd be fine.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
trey3216
PartyBear said:

lrwells50 said:

PartyBear said:

The one in Woodway won't survive. That's why. It's been a dump for years. Zero reinvestment. They started selling beer, but they have to look it up in the computer to tell you how much each one is. They're getting their doors blown off already
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
joseywales
I WAS HOPING FOR CINEMARK AND A DAVE AND BUSTERS INSTEAD WE GET A SECOND CLASS DEAL ..DOES SHULMAN own the other theaters in waco..they are disgusting and the one on valley mills is filthy all the time.poor management etc etc..we go to temple for movies and Austin for games.
Edmond Bear
joseywales said:

I WAS HOPING FOR CINEMARK AND A DAVE AND BUSTERS INSTEAD WE GET A SECOND CLASS DEAL ..DOES SHULMAN own the other theaters in waco..they are disgusting and the one on valley mills is filthy all the time.poor management etc etc..we go to temple for movies and Austin for games.

Where are you seeing this? The 7/18 release says Cinemark and a 'golf entertainment' venue.
Volunteer
Guess I don't understand the complaints about the Regal Jewel in Woodway. Stadium seating in all theaters, sound quality is very good, popcorn is good, they get all the first run movies, it seems clean, and parking is adequate. The building itself could probably use a paint job, but it isn't falling apart or terribly shabby looking. So what's the complaint(s)?

UBBY
joseywales said:

This one is for the Cinemark. The other project is the Schulman project across I-35 off of loop 340.
UBBY
Volunteer said:

Guess I don't understand the complaints about the Regal Jewel in Woodway. Stadium seating in all theaters, sound quality is very good, popcorn is good, they get all the first run movies, it seems clean, and parking is adequate. The building itself could probably use a paint job, but it isn't falling apart or terribly shabby looking. So what's the complaint(s)?

It just isn't up to date as a high quality theater. It's stuck in the 90's.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.