Work starts on local complex including theater, 'golf entertainment'

8,606 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Volunteer
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UBBY said:

Volunteer said:

Guess I don't understand the complaints about the Regal Jewel in Woodway. Stadium seating in all theaters, sound quality is very good, popcorn is good, they get all the first run movies, it seems clean, and parking is adequate. The building itself could probably use a paint job, but it isn't falling apart or terribly shabby looking. So what's the complaint(s)?

It just isn't up to date as a high quality theater. It's stuck in the 90's.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Ludwig von Missi
Edmond Bear said:

joseywales said:

I WAS HOPING FOR CINEMARK AND A DAVE AND BUSTERS INSTEAD WE GET A SECOND CLASS DEAL ..DOES SHULMAN own the other theaters in waco..they are disgusting and the one on valley mills is filthy all the time.poor management etc etc..we go to temple for movies and Austin for games.

Where are you seeing this? The 7/18 release says Cinemark and a 'golf entertainment' venue.

Looks like Josey wasted all caps on nothing.
PartyBear
Volunteer said:

Guess I don't understand the complaints about the Regal Jewel in Woodway. Stadium seating in all theaters, sound quality is very good, popcorn is good, they get all the first run movies, it seems clean, and parking is adequate. The building itself could probably use a paint job, but it isn't falling apart or terribly shabby looking. So what's the complaint(s)?

I agree. It could probably use a little bit of refurb work but nothing major at all. I still view it as a fairly nice theater.
Bear Doc
The seats at the Woodway theater are long past their useful life and could stand to be replaced. I will not see a movie over 1.5-2 hours there (like Avenger length movies) as it is uncomfortable past that.
BaylorHistory
I gennerally pick AMC over Regal. The popcorn tastes better at AMC and I believe they still have the $1 "hot dog".
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CorsicanaBear
I'm not much of a movie goer. I'd just as soon wait and watch movies at home. Better food, can stop the movie to take a leak, more comfortable seating, better adult beverages, watch on my schedule not theirs, costs less. I don't see how any theaters survive at all given the relatively low cost of large screen UHD/HDR TV's and a decent sound bar with subwoofer. $1300 (or less) gets you a "home theater" that's sufficient for 99% of viewers.

Movies are not like sporting events or even a play that feed off of the energy of the crowd. What happens on the screen is the same if the audience is excited or not even there. Its only a communal event at all because there were no affordable technical means to show movies in peoples homes when the medium was invented.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

I'm not much of a movie goer. I'd just as soon wait and watch movies at home. Better food, can stop the movie to take a leak, more comfortable seating, better adult beverages, watch on my schedule not theirs, costs less. I don't see how any theaters survive at all given the relatively low cost of large screen UHD/HDR TV's and a decent sound bar with subwoofer. $1300 (or less) gets you a "home theater" that's sufficient for 99% of viewers.

Movies are not like sporting events or even a play that feed off of the energy of the crowd. What happens on the screen is the same if the audience is excited or not even there. Its only a communal event at all because there were no affordable technical means to show movies in peoples homes when the medium was invented.

Sounds like you prefer a bike, a shoddy piece of plywood, and a curb to a roller coaster.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Sounds like you prefer a bike, a shoddy piece of plywood, and a curb to a roller coaster
A roller coaster can only be ridden on a roller coaster. Roller coasters are an experience that involves your whole body and they are a physical thing. A movie is for your brain and can be enjoyed anywhere, iPhone and EarPods work pretty well. Content is the same. Movies are just a story, just data 1's and 0's not a physical experience, nothing real.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Sounds like you prefer a bike, a shoddy piece of plywood, and a curb to a roller coaster
A roller coaster can only be ridden on a roller coaster. Roller coasters are an experience that involves your whole body and they are a physical thing. A movie is for your brain and can be enjoyed anywhere, iPhone and EarPods work pretty well. Content is the same. Movies are just a story, just data 1's and 0's not a physical experience, nothing real.

There's just something about seeing a movie in the theater. Just like there's something about the thrill of a roller coaster. I'm sorry that you think being at home is the only way to go. I mean, I'll drive to the movie theater sometimes just to buy popcorn to take home. Lol. I love the theater, be it a movie, a play, a good music show. It's always better there than at home
Ludwig von Missi
trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

There's just something about seeing a movie in the theater. Just like there's something about the thrill of a roller coaster. I'm sorry that you think being at home is the only way to go. I mean, I'll drive to the movie theater sometimes just to buy popcorn to take home. Lol. I love the theater, be it a movie, a play, a good music show. It's always better there than at home
Same.
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

And watching a movie on an iPhone with EarPods is for 2-12 year olds. How did you get signed up on this site again?

Of course I'm giving you grief there, but seriously, movie watching is an experience, the first time my 38 yr old ass was able to watch Casablanca on the big screen was like seeing an old friend at georges on homecoming weekend. It's just not the same
cowboycwr
I get what CorsicanaBear is saying and what Trey is talking about. I like the convenience of watching at home and for 90% of movies that is the way I will go. However, I also get what Trey is talking about with the experience at the movie. For some movies the 3D, IMAX or just the thrill of watching it on a 90 foot screen is great.

I will go to the movies for specific ones, dates, etc but for most movies would prefer to wait and watch it at home.
PartyBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Actually you can save a lot of money and time and experience almost every ride at every Disney park and Universal park for free and without lines on YouTube in a matter of a couple of hours.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Actually you can save a lot of money and time and experience almost every ride at every Disney park and Universal park for free and without lines on YouTube in a matter of a couple of hours.
Next time on another episode of "How Cheap Was My Dad",,,
PartyBear
LOL! Trust me we didnt do it the cheap way and did it twice when the kids were growing up and frankly it is well worth the money......but in the modern world one can pull out their smart phone and do a virtual ride through on any ride he or she wants. Not exactly the same thing as going on the ride in person but watching a movie at home or a Baylor game at home is not exactly the same experience as being at the theater or at the stadium. That said I totally get the doing it at home option.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

VR and videos of roller coasters can give you the view of it but not the real experience of the bumps, Gs, air blowing by, etc.
Osobuzzed
https://www.newquest.com/pdfs/Cottonwood_Creek_Market.pdf
CammoTX
Lol. I love how they put George's and Twin Liquors on their marketing flyer
Yogi
CammoTX said:

Lol. I love how they put George's and Twin Liquors on their marketing flyer
If you believe proposed renderings of buildings, then you have to believe that the new Welcome Center will come complete with GIANT LASERS on the roof.

Bear Doc
And that new Top Golf rendering kind of looks like the old driving range did where the stadium currently sits...
BylrFan
is construction already happening?
Volunteer
BylrFan said:

is construction already happening?
They've begun moving dirt.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.