Fmr Midway administrator indicted in 2016 hit-and-run that left Baylor student dead

23,291 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by cowboycwr
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/crime/former-midway-administrator-indicted-in-2016-hit-and-run-that-left-baylor-student-dead/article_26a04cbc-5765-5432-99f3-9099b53b045e.html

A former Midway school administrator charged in the 2016 hit-and-run crash that killed a Baylor University sophomore who was cycling on Franklin Avenue was indicted Wednesday on two felony counts.

A McLennan County grand jury indicted Tammy Renee Blankenship Harlan, 52, on second-degree felony charges of manslaughter and vehicle involved in accident/failure to stop and render aid in the death of David Grotberg, 19, a Baylor student from Fergus Falls, Minnesota.

If convicted, Harlan, former executive director of special populations and federal programs for the Midway Independent School District, faces up to 20 years in prison on each count. She was arrested in March 2019 after police received an anonymous letter implicating Harlan, almost three years after Grotberg was killed.
bularry
she should go to jail and forever lose the ability to drive again.
Flaming Moderate
Does anyone know more about this story? I remember the tragic accident but not her arrest. The article is confusing - did the "informant" follow her to Marlin after the accident? Why wait two years to come forward? At least they caught her.
beardoc
Was this the band member who was killed?
Flaming Moderate
beardoc said:

Was this the band member who was killed?
Yes - Oct. 2016.
Michibear
Flaming Moderate said:

Does anyone know more about this story? I remember the tragic accident but not her arrest. The article is confusing - did the "informant" follow her to Marlin after the accident? Why wait two years to come forward? At least they caught her.
I think it was a friend or family member that contacted the police. Sometimes, it takes time to do the right thing when it involves loved ones--a lot to work through.
trey3216
Michibear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think it was a friend or family member that contacted the police. Sometimes, it takes time to do the right thing when it involves loved ones--a lot to work through.
From what I heard, this is the case.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Flaming Moderate
Thanks. That's what it seemed. The article was poorly written, so some key details were not clear.
ImwithBU
Wondered how they solved it. Sad part is she obviously didn't care. She went on with her life like it never happened
SteamedHams
Did anything ever come of this case?
Redbrickbear
SteamedHams said:

I would like to know as well.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Redbrickbear said:

SteamedHams said:

I would like to know as well.

I did a search and could find nothing further past the indictment June '20. I wonder if this got caught in covid delays? I have followed as my daughter knew David Grotberg from the HRC.
beerman
We have a DA that doesn't try cases. It's a joke, really. Need to get him out this spring and get someone who will get the system moving again.

Criminals walking. Trials stalled. Witnesses disappearing. Never seen anything quite like it.
SoonerFrogs
beerman said:

We have a DA that doesn't try cases. It's a joke, really. Need to get him out this spring and get someone who will get the system moving again.

Criminals walking. Trials stalled. Witnesses disappearing. Never seen anything quite like it.
but Reyna was the devil!
hill02
Josh Tetens is running for DA. He is a good man and a Baylor grad.
Wichitabear
ImwithBU said:

Wondered how they solved it. Sad part is she obviously didn't care. She went on with her life like it never happened
She was wrong but I think she panicked and was terrified in what she did. After awhile she just hoped it would go away. She was probably relieved herself when it came out. She has to live with this for the rest of her life.
Ludwig von Missi
hill02 said:

He's got my vote.
Proud 1992 Alum
This woman should do some serious time in prison. Her bad driving and possible drunk driving aside, to not stop and attempt to aid the person you hit is incredibly selfish. The article below includes more information. She filed an insurance claim with her insurance company stating that she hit a stop sign. Then tells police that maybe she hit a homeless person. It sounds like she admitted to drinking beforehand. What a *****.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/03/06/anonymous-letter-leads-to-arrest-over-2-years-after-hit-and-run-driver-killed-baylor-band-member/
Robert Wilson
hill02 said:

Tetens would be a big step up from what we have now.
trey3216
Robert Wilson said:

hill02 said:

Tetens would be a big step up from what we have now.
absolutely
LIB,MR BEARS
SoonerFrogs said:

beerman said:

but Reyna was the devil!
two devils don't make a saint
SteamedHams
I still want to know what happened to this case
LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS said:

SoonerFrogs said:

beerman said:

but Reyna was the devil!
two devils don't make a saint
plead down to failure to control speed with the old DA probably.
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

I was curious too and tried doing some searching as whatever happened should be public record.

I found this docket of cases for this year (I think) making it look like the trial starts next week.

https://www.co.mclennan.tx.us/DocumentCenter/View/1834/Priority-Trials-PDF
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

I was curious too and tried doing some searching as whatever happened should be public record.

I found this docket of cases for this year (I think) making it look like the trial starts next week.

https://www.co.mclennan.tx.us/DocumentCenter/View/1834/Priority-Trials-PDF

Oh wow, excellent find. I hope justice prevails.
cowboycwr
I haven't seen anything in the media about the trial. Seems weird that nothing can be found about a plea deal or trial and that it is 5 years after the incident and it is just now in trial when other cases fly through quickly.
SteamedHams
Another continuance issued. What on earth.
Redbrickbear
SteamedHams said:

If only she had been selling drugs we could have had the trial already and throw her in the pen for decades.

Instead she just killed some young kid.

The Courts are more lenient on that....
cowboycwr
Redbrickbear said:

SteamedHams said:

If only she had been selling drugs we could have had the trial already and throw her in the pen for decades.

Instead she just killed some young kid.

The Courts are more lenient on that....

And it seems to have just gotten worse with Covid. Doing no trials for months or only through zoom has backed many courts up to where they say it is a 4 or 5 year wait even for murder trials. Like here.

But high profile cases can still fly through to either appease the masses or shut them up.

I know a family that is in the middle of a mess awaiting trial on the person who murdered their dad and have been told it could be 4 years to get a court date. Meanwhile the killer is walking free and the family is worried about him doing something further.
Robert Wilson
Our former DA (really the last 2) did an atrocious job - largely failed to move anything through the system. The new one is focused on working the backlog and getting the system running well, but it will take some time.
SteamedHams
Robert Wilson said:

Our former DA (really the last 2) did an atrocious job - largely failed to move anything through the system. The new one is focused on working the backlog and getting the system running well, but it will take some time.

I do like Tetens, in the scant handful of interactions I've had with him one-on-one, he was always extremely pleasant. Very unassuming type, really just like a regular dude. And what a mane, man looks like Mufasa.
cowboycwr
Robert Wilson said:

True. I should have clarified that it isn't just a Waco problem. My example is of a Fort Worth case. It is an overall issue everywhere but the previous DA made it worse than it should be for a city the size of Waco.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

Robert Wilson said:

True. I should have clarified that it isn't just a Waco problem. My example is of a Fort Worth case. It is an overall issue everywhere but the previous DA made it worse than it should be for a city the size of Waco.
Barry Johnson was an abject failure as the DA, and that's exactly what he intended on doing. What a bunch of functionally braindead people to have bought his idiotic story.
LIB,MR BEARS
cowboycwr said:

Robert Wilson said:

I don't know what you talking about. We had a DA that convicted all these bikers! /s
Yogi
How many gods does this planet have in total?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.