Fmr Midway administrator indicted in 2016 hit-and-run that left Baylor student dead

23,309 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by cowboycwr
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi said:

SteamedHams said:

Robert Wilson said:

Our former DA (really the last 2) did an atrocious job - largely failed to move anything through the system. The new one is focused on working the backlog and getting the system running well, but it will take some time.

I do like Tetens, in the scant handful of interactions I've had with him one-on-one, he was always extremely pleasant. Very unassuming type, really just like a regular dude. And what a mane, man looks like Mufasa.
He's a good guy, but he still has cases that he hasn't looked at personally that are very weak cases unsupported by corroborating evidence that could be dismissed and would help alleviate that log jam.

Having these cases on the books not only infringes on the rights of the accused, but it will have the ultimate effect of costing McLennan County taxpayers more than what they should ever have to pay.

McLennan County has some very nice people, but the county's business isn't run well, and I think part of that involves getting more candidates and better candidates to run for office.

With that being said, I strongly endorse Josh Tetens. Josh doesn't need this job. Josh is a great lawyer, who fared well in the private sector prior to getting elected. When I talk about "better candidates", Josh is particularly the kind of candidate I am speaking of. However, the DA's office in McLennan County is a complete mess, and it is about 7 years behind where it needs to be right now. So, Josh has his work cut out for him for sure.

It would also help if the Sheriff's department would do its job in diligently investigating matters in McLennan County, I feel the department has been rather lazy in the past, and many matters were sent to the DA that didn't have to be. I know that Parnell has brought in some new blood, but that Sheriff's Department, based on my observations, is going to get stuck with a multi-million dollar lawsuit one day and immunity is not going help under the circumstances.
Lot of fat on that hog right now...
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Leonidas
beerman said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

Been following Tommy Witherspoon's (KWTX) tweets during the trial. It sure seems like the Waco PD and the DA could have done a much better job. As of today it's in the hands of the jury. I think she walks. I also think she's guilty. I feel bad for the family of that young man that was killed.
I've learned that you can't rely on Witherspoon's live tweeting to give you a real feel for how things are going in a trial. I've sat in the courtroom where he was live tweeting and scratched my head at what he missed that was important.

The DA has only been in office for 10 months. You can thank Abel and his cronies for the lack of convictions in the last 8-10 years
Yup. And his horrible handling of the Twin Peaks shooting.

Over 100 arrests, multiple dead and no convictions or even trials.
as bad as Renya was.. Barry Johnson was worse. Our current DA is flying thru the case back log which was over 10,000 cases
Yep. Barry Johnson is an absolute PoS and his getting elected was an absolute sham.
IMO, Barry Johnson was elected primarily because he wasn't Reyna and voters associated his name with long-time local judge, Matt Johnson.

He was elected in part because Abel was perceived as a failure (Twin Peaks) but mostly because Barry was "old
Waco" and had a small but influential group of blue bloods that pushed the narrative that he was as good as gold.

One of the best parts of the "gentrification" of Waco is that it's is no longer being run by a few families with their own self-interests in mind. As we grow there are more and more opportunities for strong local candidates to get exposure and get elected, even if they aren't part of the old guard.

Have a few interesting elections coming up, we will see if there are any surprises.

Was old Waco still supporting Barry when he came up for the-election? Which are the interesting races you see coming up locally?
beerman
Yes, they were supporting Barry but the momentum was overwhelmingly in favor of a change and Josh got on the right wave of support early.

I think the sheriff's race and the district 56 state rep race are interesting, more so than we normally see here in McLennan County.

Seems to be money vs grass roots and boy has there been a lot of money spent ……. especially for a county/district our size.
Fat Daddy
beerman said:

Yes, they were supporting Barry but the momentum was overwhelmingly in favor of a change and Josh got on the right wave of support early.

I think the sheriff's race and the district 56 replace are interesting, more so than we normally see here in McLennan County.

Seems to be money vs grass roots and boy has there been a lot of money spent ……. especially for a county/district our size.

I get something in my mailbox about everyday from Curry… for some reason he really wants the job / opportunity!

Think I will go grassroots (will there be a Midnight Confession?)
cowboycwr
Yogi said:

SteamedHams said:

Robert Wilson said:

Our former DA (really the last 2) did an atrocious job - largely failed to move anything through the system. The new one is focused on working the backlog and getting the system running well, but it will take some time.

I do like Tetens, in the scant handful of interactions I've had with him one-on-one, he was always extremely pleasant. Very unassuming type, really just like a regular dude. And what a mane, man looks like Mufasa.
He's a good guy, but he still has cases that he hasn't looked at personally that are very weak cases unsupported by corroborating evidence that could be dismissed and would help alleviate that log jam.

Having these cases on the books not only infringes on the rights of the accused, but it will have the ultimate effect of costing McLennan County taxpayers more than what they should ever have to pay.

McLennan County has some very nice people, but the county's business isn't run well, and I think part of that involves getting more candidates and better candidates to run for office.

With that being said, I strongly endorse Josh Tetens. Josh doesn't need this job. Josh is a great lawyer, who fared well in the private sector prior to getting elected. When I talk about "better candidates", Josh is particularly the kind of candidate I am speaking of. However, the DA's office in McLennan County is a complete mess, and it is about 7 years behind where it needs to be right now. So, Josh has his work cut out for him for sure.

It would also help if the Sheriff's department would do its job in diligently investigating matters in McLennan County, I feel the department has been rather lazy in the past, and many matters were sent to the DA that didn't have to be. I know that Parnell has brought in some new blood, but that Sheriff's Department, based on my observations, is going to get stuck with a multi-million dollar lawsuit one day and immunity is not going help under the circumstances.
I think the issue in the DAs office started even before Abel.

I sat in on a jury once years ago that never should have been a trial and was a massive waste of time. Long story short no evidence for a DUI. No BAC, no breathalyzer and the only part of the field test the driver failed was the eye test (according to the officer) and this was before body cameras so that wasn't an option.

And the sheriff's department has been so old school. They just recently got body cameras and were one of the last departments in the entire state to get them and from what I heard it was because Parnell did not want them but was setting the department up for a lawsuit like you said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.