Fmr Midway administrator indicted in 2016 hit-and-run that left Baylor student dead

23,466 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by cowboycwr
beerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She got 10 years, has to serve 5.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
The family victim statements are heart rending. I am so glad this is a part of the grief they can move ahead with. Two of David's siblings have attended Baylor since his death.
BCL79
beerman said:

WOW, that seems very light. What was the actual charge against her? For the legal folks ... curious what you believe she would have received IF she HAD stopped and attempted to render aid? I'm thinking in that case the 10 years cut to 5 would have been appropriate for drunk driving and killing someone???
SteamedHams
beerman said:

*at least 5
Biscuits_and_Gravy
BCL79 said:

beerman said:

WOW, that seems very light. What was the actual charge against her? For the legal folks ... curious what you believe she would have received IF she HAD stopped and attempted to render aid? I'm thinking in that case the 10 years cut to 5 would have been appropriate for drunk driving and killing someone???

From Tommy Witherspoon tweet, failure to stop and render aid and manslaughter.
BrazosBear
BCL79 said:

beerman said:

It's a 10 year sentence. She will be eligible for parole after 5 but no guarantee she'll get it.

10 seems like it was probably on the low end of the appropriate range but not unreasonable. If she had stopped, her sentence would have almost certainly been less than 10 years and I think she would have had a shot at probation depending on how the victim's family felt about it.
trey3216
Harrison Bergeron said:

Curious if anyone is familiar with the details .. is there compelling evidence against her outside of the anonymous tips?
Not going to mention much, but absolutely know for a fact it was her.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Fat Daddy
I wonder / speculate who the tip was from-

1) her coworker that she "confessed" to the following day and then helped her get her car to Marlin?

2) maybe Trey? : )
Harrison Bergeron
trey3216 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Curious if anyone is familiar with the details .. is there compelling evidence against her outside of the anonymous tips?
Not going to mention much, but absolutely know for a fact it was her.
I was just curious if the case hinged on the confession vs. any other evidence.
Harrison Bergeron
cowboycwr said:

TenBears said:

beerman said:

TenBears said:

Man, this strikes me as being a tough one. I hope justice was done.

How so?

Heard they let her go home tonight, is that "usual and customary"……asking legal community here.

I just meant the length of time to prosecution, lack of video/witnesses, etc. It sounded like not an open and shut case.
I think the length of time was awful. There was a several year period where police didn't have any leads until an anonymous letter led them to her.

There may not have been witnesses or video but there was enough there to point to her like others have said.
For pure curiosity, really would love to understand the background of this eight-year-old anonymous tip. Seems weird someone waited eight years and suddenly turned her in. She must have really pissed someone off or was in competition for a promotion.
SteamedHams
Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

TenBears said:

beerman said:

TenBears said:

How so?

Heard they let her go home tonight, is that "usual and customary"……asking legal community here.

I just meant the length of time to prosecution, lack of video/witnesses, etc. It sounded like not an open and shut case.
I think the length of time was awful. There was a several year period where police didn't have any leads until an anonymous letter led them to her.

There may not have been witnesses or video but there was enough there to point to her like others have said.
For pure curiosity, really would love to understand the background of this eight-year-old anonymous tip. Seems weird someone waited eight years and suddenly turned her in. She must have really pissed someone off or was in competition for a promotion.

The anonymous tip didn't come 8 years later. It has not even been 8 years since the accident.

Accident was Oct. 2016
Note came in September 2018.
cowboycwr
I'm curious why the coworker never said anything. I don't think I have ever had a coworker that I would cover for like that. If any of them told me they killed someone I would report it right away.

Seems like that coworker could also be open for at least a civil suit for never saying anything maybe even criminal as an accomplice for helping her take the car to a shop out of town?
Harrison Bergeron
SteamedHams said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

TenBears said:

beerman said:

TenBears said:

How so?

The anonymous tip didn't come 8 years later. It has not even been 8 years since the accident.

Accident was Oct. 2016
Note came in September 2018.
Thank you.
sipembeers
Franko said:

Volunteer said:

Been following Tommy Witherspoon's (KWTX) tweets during the trial. It sure seems like the Waco PD and the DA could have done a much better job. As of today it's in the hands of the jury. I think she walks. I also think she's guilty. I feel bad for the family of that young man that was killed.
I've learned that you can't rely on Witherspoon's live tweeting to give you a real feel for how things are going in a trial. I've sat in the courtroom where he was live tweeting and scratched my head at what he missed that was important.

The DA has only been in office for 10 months. You can thank Abel and his cronies for the lack of convictions in the last 8-10 years
beerman
To be fair, there was another DA in office between Renya and Josh. He did absolutely nothing to move cases forward himself.
MrGolfguy
beerman said:

To be fair, there was another DA in office between Renya and Josh. He did absolutely nothing to move cases forward himself.
Yep, his name was Barry Johnson and he was a sad joke; right up there with Kamala.
Robert Wilson
MrGolfguy said:

beerman said:

Yep, his name was Barry Johnson and he was a sad joke; right up there with Kamala.
Agree. Tetens digging out of a huge hole left by Reyna and Johnson.
cowboycwr
sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

Been following Tommy Witherspoon's (KWTX) tweets during the trial. It sure seems like the Waco PD and the DA could have done a much better job. As of today it's in the hands of the jury. I think she walks. I also think she's guilty. I feel bad for the family of that young man that was killed.
I've learned that you can't rely on Witherspoon's live tweeting to give you a real feel for how things are going in a trial. I've sat in the courtroom where he was live tweeting and scratched my head at what he missed that was important.

The DA has only been in office for 10 months. You can thank Abel and his cronies for the lack of convictions in the last 8-10 years
Yup. And his horrible handling of the Twin Peaks shooting.

Over 100 arrests, multiple dead and no convictions or even trials.
4th and Inches
cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

as bad as Renya was.. Barry Johnson was worse. Our current DA is flying thru the case back log which was over 10,000 cases
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
T-REX
4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

as bad as Renya was.. Barry Johnson was worse. Our current DA is flying thru the case back log which was over 10,000 cases
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
trey3216
4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

Yep. Barry Johnson is an absolute PoS and his getting elected was an absolute sham.
sipembeers
trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

Yep. Barry Johnson is an absolute PoS and his getting elected was an absolute sham.

I honestly forgot he was in office between Reyna and Tetens
Volunteer
trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

IMO, Barry Johnson was elected primarily because he wasn't Reyna and voters associated his name with long-time local judge, Matt Johnson.
SteamedHams
Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

IMO, Barry Johnson was elected primarily because he wasn't Reyna and voters associated his name with long-time local judge, Matt Johnson.

I think that's giving voters a bit more credit than I'd lend them.
4th and Inches
sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

I honestly forgot he was in office between Reyna and Tetens
well, he was pretty forgettable
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Waco2116
Barry Johnson switched parties in December and announced he was running against an incumbent State District Judge, Thomas West, a Republican. After enduring Johnson's dismissal performance as DA and witnessing his drubbing in his last election, I'm hopeful voters will send him a strong message that he is not a viable candidate.
Blackjack Bear
Barry Johnson was the worst DA ever. Has no business holding any position at the courthouse.
trey3216
Blackjack Bear said:

Barry Johnson was the worst DA ever. Has no business holding any position at the courthouse.
He has no business holding positions in an outhouse.

He was bankrupt, and under charges in Dallas for defrauding his law firm to the tune of $1mm or so.

He got that squared away thanks to a generous donation from the Hell's Angels.
Fat Daddy
trey3216 said:

Blackjack Bear said:

He was bankrupt, and under charges in Dallas for defrauding his law firm to the tune of $1mm or so.

You serious, Clark?
beerman
Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

He was elected in part because Abel was perceived as a failure (Twin Peaks) but mostly because Barry was "old
Waco" and had a small but influential group of blue bloods that pushed the narrative that he was as good as gold.

One of the best parts of the "gentrification" of Waco is that it's is no longer being run by a few families with their own self-interests in mind. As we grow there are more and more opportunities for strong local candidates to get exposure and get elected, even if they aren't part of the old guard.

Have a few interesting elections coming up, we will see if there are any surprises.
beardoc
beerman said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

cowboycwr said:

sipembeers said:

Franko said:

Volunteer said:

He was elected in part because Abel was perceived as a failure (Twin Peaks) but mostly because Barry was "old
Waco" and had a small but influential group of blue bloods that pushed the narrative that he was as good as gold.

One of the best parts of the "gentrification" of Waco is that it's is no longer being run by a few families with their own self-interests in mind. As we grow there are more and more opportunities for strong local candidates to get exposure and get elected, even if they aren't part of the old guard.

Have a few interesting elections coming up, we will see if there are any surprises.
I don't live in Waco, but where would you put Dylan Meek in this? Old Waco or not?
beerman
Not.
trey3216
Fat Daddy said:

trey3216 said:

Blackjack Bear said:

You serious, Clark?

Yep
Fat Daddy
In my opinion, two interesting races in process - the sheriff's race and the state representative race.

The old Texas lawman that likes to be on TV facing a former deputy…. And the old Texas lawman has most of the "big" endorsements.

And in the state house race, one that labels himself as a conservative champion who has spent various times in the courthouse defending himself or his company running against a lady that appears to have worked locally and in Austin for conservative issues. I receive something every few weeks from her, but I get something almost every day from him… obviously he has a huge bankroll.

Will be interesting …. But the incumbent usually wins and the one that has the money wins…. Sad.
Yogi
SteamedHams said:

Robert Wilson said:

Our former DA (really the last 2) did an atrocious job - largely failed to move anything through the system. The new one is focused on working the backlog and getting the system running well, but it will take some time.

I do like Tetens, in the scant handful of interactions I've had with him one-on-one, he was always extremely pleasant. Very unassuming type, really just like a regular dude. And what a mane, man looks like Mufasa.
He's a good guy, but he still has cases that he hasn't looked at personally that are very weak cases unsupported by corroborating evidence that could be dismissed and would help alleviate that log jam.

Having these cases on the books not only infringes on the rights of the accused, but it will have the ultimate effect of costing McLennan County taxpayers more than what they should ever have to pay.

McLennan County has some very nice people, but the county's business isn't run well, and I think part of that involves getting more candidates and better candidates to run for office.

With that being said, I strongly endorse Josh Tetens. Josh doesn't need this job. Josh is a great lawyer, who fared well in the private sector prior to getting elected. When I talk about "better candidates", Josh is particularly the kind of candidate I am speaking of. However, the DA's office in McLennan County is a complete mess, and it is about 7 years behind where it needs to be right now. So, Josh has his work cut out for him for sure.

It would also help if the Sheriff's department would do its job in diligently investigating matters in McLennan County, I feel the department has been rather lazy in the past, and many matters were sent to the DA that didn't have to be. I know that Parnell has brought in some new blood, but that Sheriff's Department, based on my observations, is going to get stuck with a multi-million dollar lawsuit one day and immunity is not going help under the circumstances.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.