Bear Ridge reopens this Friday

16,848 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CTbruin
beerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was told Friday, they cancelled. Check on that. Chamber tourney has to move, that was the impetus of the conversation I was having.
southtexasbear
Just played Bear Ridge this weekend. Thought the greens were amazing! Surprised really. 18 was dry tho
FrankFallonCalling
Played a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The course is a long way from being "back," but it's clearly heading that direction.
Bear Doc
beerman said:

Cottonwood is just a great city course, def one of the best in Texas, we are lucky to have it as most city's bailed on golf 20+ years ago. I heard CW cancelled all of their fundraiser tourneys for the rest of 2020, would be ideal if Bear Ridge could take some of this on.......they can create a quick $15,000 of income for a course without a ton of overhead.
Ah, I see the city leadership has claimed another COVID victim... In spite of evidence, in spite of common sense, in spite of economic opportunity. AT ALL COSTS!
Yogi
I drove by when in Waco last weekend and the fairways look better than they have in over a decade. You can see the progress by the new management.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
trey3216
6 inches of rain should do well for the course, so long as the Bosque doesn't flood it out.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
Played it this afternoon (first time since all the rain) and man alive it looks like it did 10 years ago.
1outawayBear
I think I only took one pic of the course, to show my brother how close I was to holing out on par 5 #8 from 170, but should give you an idea of course condition.
1outawayBear

SSadler
Drove by it today. Completely different look due to rain. Same drive last week=watered greens and narrow swath down the fairways surrounded by brown.

Today, one solid green color from HIghway 84 as far into the depth of the course as one could see.

Beautiful stuff.
WILLIS
Looks really nice. What's a weekend green fee and cart there?
1outawayBear
WILLIS said:

Looks really nice. What's a weekend green fee and cart there?

52 on weekends
42 week days

What I'm looking forward to, is once my son gets old enough, tommy has it free for anyone under 10 and anyone under 18 is 5 for 9 holes and 10 for 18. Tommy has done wonders to it.
1outawayBear
SSadler said:

Drove by it today. Completely different look due to rain. Same drive last week=watered greens and narrow swath down the fairways surrounded by brown.

Today, one solid green color from HIghway 84 as far into the depth of the course as one could see.

Beautiful stuff.

There are still some fairways with sitting water. Was so pissed on 16, I hit my four iron expecting it to roll and went straight into a puddle in the middle of the freaking fairway so had like 190 to the green rather than 150 which is what I was expecting
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

There are still some fairways with sitting water. Was so pissed on 16, I hit my four iron expecting it to roll and went straight into a puddle in the middle of the freaking fairway so had like 190 to the green rather than 150 which is what I was expecting

It's not like it was gonna roll 40 yards right now anyway, even if it didn't hit the puddle. You may have been hitting from 177 at very best
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

It's not like it was gonna roll 40 yards right now anyway, even if it didn't hit the puddle. You may have been hitting from 177 at very best

Ha you underestimate my worm burning skills, it literally just landed in a 10 foot puddle and I fished it out. But you are right prolly closer to 160-170 than what I hoped for.
1outawayBear
Realized it was 15, not 16.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

Ha you underestimate my worm burning skills, it literally just landed in a 10 foot puddle and I fished it out. But you are right prolly closer to 160-170 than what I hoped for.

I'm just saying, it's wet as hell right now with all the rain we've gotten coupled with the temp dip. My backyard was still wet from the damn near 10 inches of rain we got last week yesterday afternoon, then we got another 1.5. Now me, as high as I hit the ball, I'd be digging every ball out of a buried egg in the middle of the fairway. I ain't breaking my wrists trying to play a ball out of the fairway.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

I'm just saying, it's wet as hell right now with all the rain we've gotten coupled with the temp dip. My backyard was still wet from the damn near 10 inches of rain we got last week yesterday afternoon, then we got another 1.5. Now me, as high as I hit the ball, I'd be digging every ball out of a buried egg in the middle of the fairway. I ain't breaking my wrists trying to play a ball out of the fairway.

The good thing about that, is that the greens were easy as **** to judge. Simply bc they were so slow. I usually play 85-95 depending on the day and shot 81 today and had a chance to break 80 had I not doubled 18. Ridiculously easy greens and I have played it at least 20 times since we moved in TR in June.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

The good thing about that, is that the greens were easy as **** to judge. Simply bc they were so slow. I usually play 85-95 depending on the day and shot 81 today and had a chance to break 80 had I not doubled 18. Ridiculously easy greens and I have played it at least 20 times since we moved in TR in June.
thats about where I'm at. I played there about 6 weeks ago last, and shot 87 after I doubled 12, 15 and 16. First round I had 3 birdies in a long time. Putting killed me because the greens were bumpy as hell, and we teed off at 7:30, so they were slowwwww in the morning and bumpy/faster as it dried out.
Bear Doc
I actually played out there as well this afternoon! Here is a shot I got on #4, which has always been one of my favorite holes.
1outawayBear
Bear Doc said:

I actually played out there as well this afternoon! Here is a shot I got on #4, which has always been one of my favorite holes.

Were you one of the nice folks who let me play thru? There were two who did, a girl and guy and then a guy in a red polo who nicely let me play thru?
SSadler
1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

then you,sir, are permitted to invoke the golf gods for permission to claim a "chunk it" mulligan on any hole ending in an even number. Pick, clean, and chunk it after any shot of your choice.

On odd-numbered hole invoke the "kick it" rule.

I have heard of very "religious" golfers who consider themselves quite tight with the golf gods to invoke permission to "chunk it and kick it" on the same hole.
1outawayBear
SSadler said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

then you,sir, are permitted to invoke the golf gods for permission to claim a "chunk it" mulligan on any hole ending in an even number. Pick, clean, and chunk it after any shot of your choice.

I have heard of very "religious" golfers who consider themselves quite tight with the golf gods to invoke permission to "chunk it and kick it" on the same hole.

Okay. Sorry I'm not going to play it as it lies when my ball is a foot under water. Gtfo w that ****
Bear Doc
1outawayBear said:

Bear Doc said:

Were you one of the nice folks who let me play thru? There were two who did, a girl and guy and then a guy in a red polo who nicely let me play thru?

No I teed off around 1:20 and pretty much had the whole course to myself.
1outawayBear
Ha same. Until about 13, but I played in less than 2 hours so I was cruising
MrGolfguy
Need a Bear Ridge update please from anybody that has been out there in the last week or so. Hoping it still looks good and is on an upward swing. I noticed they raised their prices for the new year - green fee & cart is now $65 weekends and $56 weekdays. I'll take that as a good sign that they are paying for all the renovation going on.
CTbruin
I drive by several times a day. It's getting good play.

I'm waiting until spring to play. Anxious to see how it does when the grass comes back.
MrGolfguy
good to know
4th and Inches
1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

tough course when there is a water hazard in the middle of the fairway...
trey3216
CTbruin said:

I'm waiting until spring to play. Anxious to see how it does when the grass comes back.
Yep. It's been fairly constant and busy out there, which is a good sign. I can't wait to see what spring brings to the course. I think it could be in incredible shape by then. Will be great to have another course in Waco to play a good round of golf on again.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

Yep. It's been fairly constant and busy out there, which is a good sign. I can't wait to see what spring brings to the course. I think it could be in incredible shape by then. Will be great to have another course in Waco to play a good round of golf on again.

My buddy and I played Sunday a few weeks ago, tee time was around noon and they said we were the 120th something round teeing off so far that day. Was a long four hour round it was packed
Jackson Bear
Will the revival of Bear Ridge help upgrade and bring back the Starburst Junior Gold Tourney?
OsoCoreyell
SSadler said:

1outawayBear said:

SSadler said:

Beautiful stuff.

As a full Nike Tour official, I hereby endorse this rule
GoldenBear03
Jackson Bear said:

Will the revival of Bear Ridge help upgrade and bring back the Starburst Junior Gold Tourney?

The tournament is still on in Waco, but wasn't played last year and won't be again this year because of Covid concerns.

CTbruin
I drove by about 11 this morning and it appeared a high school golf tournament was going on. Many spectators. It was packed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.