Jack in the Box Woodway

12,147 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SteamedHams
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

Off the subject Bexar Pitts, wasnt there a Bob's Big Boy there as well?
Can't recall..There was a shopping center a few hundred yards away..and it had a Furr's cafeteria..First one of those I'd eaten at also.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Does anyone remember where/when the first JITB was in Waco? Was it the Bosque location? I remember going to an Oak Cliff location on Zang exit off 35 way before Waco had one..That was early 70's..I thought I was really cool having a Bonus Jack w/cheese! What a knucklehead..
JITB on Bosque opened in late 1978 or early 1979, not long after I got my DL.

Whataburger came to town in about 1969 or 1970; McDonald's in early 1972, Burger King in early 1975, Wendy's in late 1977.
You have an incredible memory! I had thought THE McDonalds opened in 69 or 70, but I defer to your knowledge on that. There was a locally owned McDonalds hamburgers by Lions Park off New Rd and Bosque.( no relation to chain) .Richfield packed it at lunch..Owners son had a Dodge 426 Hemi that was bad-ass...Thanks for sharing your amazing recall !
Scratchy Bear
We had as many as 6 JITB's in the Waco area. In addition to the two that closed, there was also one briefly connected to the gas station on the NE corner of New Road and Franklin about 15 years ago.

A few other JITB's have closed in the region (Hillsboro?, maybe Temple as well), because a few years ago the local franchise was revoked and taken over by the company. They decided not to reopen some locations. There were a LOT of issues with food quality and sanitation.

As far as the Arby's across from Robinson tower, I think it was where the 7-11 sits now. The bank was something else at one time. I was thinking it may have been a Hardee's, but not sure.

It was a bit before my time, but was the first Burger King in Waco at Valley Mills and Wooded Acres? I know they tore down the old one and rebuilt a number of years ago. Same for McDonald's across the street.
trey3216
I know the bank used to be University Credit Union for as long as I remember (got here in '99).

Arby's was where 7/11 was, and the JiTB was the half block closest to the access road.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Robert Wilson
Man I used to hammer that Arby's in college. 5 for 5 for lunch. Would always plan to stretch it to dinner. Never could. Was always still starving after sandwich #2. Then ate sandwich #3. Then would think "I can't eat only 2 of these for dinner." So would just eat all 5 for lunch. Every time.
PartyBear
Bexar Pitts said:

whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Does anyone remember where/when the first JITB was in Waco? Was it the Bosque location? I remember going to an Oak Cliff location on Zang exit off 35 way before Waco had one..That was early 70's..I thought I was really cool having a Bonus Jack w/cheese! What a knucklehead..
JITB on Bosque opened in late 1978 or early 1979, not long after I got my DL.

Whataburger came to town in about 1969 or 1970; McDonald's in early 1972, Burger King in early 1975, Wendy's in late 1977.
You have an incredible memory! I had thought THE McDonalds opened in 69 or 70, but I defer to your knowledge on that. There was a locally owned McDonalds hamburgers by Lions Park off New Rd and Bosque.( no relation to chain) .Richfield packed it at lunch..Owners son had a Dodge 426 Hemi that was bad-ass...Thanks for sharing your amazing recall !
Yes it was still there until the early 80s. LOL this reminds me of something. I remember some one on Baylorfans about 10-12 years ago arguing that was the first McDonalds. I explained it was not and that it was in no relation to the chain called McDonald's but they dug in and insisted that due to the name it was still the first McDonalds.

That all said I 1972 seems rather late for Waco to get its first McDonald's franchise. 75 seems rather late for a first Burger King as well. But I defer to y'all who were here back then.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

I know the bank used to be University Credit Union for as long as I remember (got here in '99).

Arby's was where 7/11 was, and the JiTB was the half block closest to the access road.
It was a nations bank before that but closed when they merged with Bank of America.
Eleven-League Grant
PartyBear said:

Off the subject Bexar Pitts, wasnt there a Bob's Big Boy there as well?
If Bexar will allow me to interject, you are correct PartyBear, except it wasn't Bob's, but rather Kip's Big Boy, as the franchisee for Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas named their stores.

The old Zang location building was demolished in 2015 in order to construct a La Michoacana Meat Market.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
The jinb was opened around 73 or 74. I remember it before i was married in 75
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

It was a nations bank before that but closed when they merged with Bank of America.
The bank began it's life as a Hardee's franchise in either the late 80's or early 90's.

Interestingly enough, at that time, Waco had a Hardee's franchise on University Parks Drive as well as a Carl's Jr. franchise (where Popeye's sits now) on Valley Mills Drive.
PartyBear
Thank you Eleven-League Grant. After I typed that I realized they werent called Bob's in Texas but couldnt remember for sure what they were called back in the 50s-60s etc in Texas. When they returned in the early/mid 90s (for not very long) they were Shoney's.
Bexar Pitts
Here's one for the really old timers! :-) Back in the 60's, there was a Big Boy's hamburger joint at 19th and Edna..( North Waco out from the old Greenway Plaza shopping area) ...I can't remember all the details, but I think they wound up eventually changing the name..Don't know the particulars behind that.. maybe some of our posters recall the details..Actually was a popular place, and hamburgers and root beer were excellent..
PartyBear
Was this one of the "Big Boy's"? Or a coincidental name? Like the McDonald's joint mentioned earlier.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

Was this one of the "Big Boy's"? Or a coincidental name? Like the McDonald's joint mentioned earlier.
I'm unclear on that..I looked today at the "Bob's" Big Boy chain signage, and I recall it being similar..For some reason, I keep thinking there might have been some issue with the use of the name and logo, but I'm just not sure..Wish my memory on this was better..was actually hoping one of our old Waco posters might shed some light on this..
whitetrash
I don't ever recall a Kips or Bobs big Boy in Waco, but admittedly I didn't spend much time in that part of town when I was a little kid. It was always a big deal for me to go to Kips when I went to Dallas to visit my aunt, so if there had been one here I would have gone.
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

So is jack in the box essentially pulling out of the Waco market?

They closed the one by campus across from the Robinson tower and now this one. That leaves what the one in Bellmead in front of walmart, and the Valley mills one by HEB, right?

Seems if they built one elsewhere on hewitt drive and one in the fast food area across from campus those would be good locations.

I think they'll have 3 - the one in Bellmead, one on Valley Mills by HEB, and the one on Bosque near Target.

I rarely eat JITB but it does seem odd to not have a presence in the fastest growing parts of Waco.

Yes I forgot that one. But you said it. Not to have one anywhere along the 35/baylor/ marketplace area or Hewitt/woodway doesn't seem like good business smarts.
JITB locations are absolutely baffling.

The only one that makes any sense at all is the Bosque Blvd. location. It is near the fast food mecca on Valley Mills Dr. (except that it is not on Valley Mills Dr.), but it has been there since the Jackson Administration, so at least there's that.

Other than that, no Baylor fast food mecca location, no Hewitt/ Woodway location and no North Waco/ China Spring location.

Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

I don't ever recall a Kips or Bobs big Boy in Waco, but admittedly I didn't spend much time in that part of town when I was a little kid. It was always a big deal for me to go to Kips when I went to Dallas to visit my aunt, so if there had been one here I would have gone.
I don't believe the Edna spot was part of either chain, hence my referenced possible issue with name or logo..I'm just not sure about the details on that..and why it closed..I am quite clear on the food..it was great! Of course , I was a rookie and enjoyed getting to go with an older group from Waco High..Most of them football players from the great team of 1960..
PartyBear
I just looked at 19th and Edna on google earth and dont see a shopping plaza or even remnants of one at that corner. There is a Family Dollar Store in the area with a good sized parking lot. Was that a shopping center at one time?
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

I just looked at 19th and Edna on google earth and dont see a shopping plaza or even remnants of one at that corner. There is a Family Dollar Store in the area with a good sized parking lot. Was that a shopping center at one time?
Greenway stretched from just north of 19th and Alexander ( which was fishing legend Melvin Yezack's 19th Street Drive In) north to almost where 18th and 19th joined..The buildings were all painted a light green, and there were all kinds of retail stores..there was a Safeway, Jack and Etta's Gro and Grill,( which served coldest Pearl Beer in town!) Richard Thompson's Metro Drive In, a bait house, furniture stores, etc. S&H Auto Supply was adjacent to the Safeway facing 18th. Big Boys was a little past {north) of the actual Greenway establishments, very close to 18th and 19th intersecting.In later years, there was a nite spot in one of the old Greenway buildings that really caused a ruckuss with neighbors from noise, fights, etc.Can't remember the name..I'm sure i've left out some notable business that occupied space in that area..hoping an old North Waco resident can fill in some blanks! This was all in 60's. Another edit: I looked at Google Earth 19th and Edna..There is a small house that sits some distance off 19th and Edna..facing 19th are 2 double wide concrete entrances/exits..with gravel filling the space..Evidently, the old restauaurant has been torn down, but the double wide concrete ingress/egress pavement jobs are still in place..that's exactly where the old restaurant stood. That area apparently experienced a business decline over the years, never regaining it's 50's and 60's prominence.
Eleven-League Grant
Bexar Pitts said:

Here's one for the really old timers! :-) Back in the 60's, there was a Big Boy's hamburger joint at 19th and Edna..( North Waco out from the old Greenway Plaza shopping area) ...I can't remember all the details, but I think they wound up eventually changing the name..Don't know the particulars behind that.. maybe some of our posters recall the details..Actually was a popular place, and hamburgers and root beer were excellent..
I'll take a stab at this, even though I didn't live in Waco in the '60's. Forgive me if I've gotten it all wrong.

OK. Is there any chance that the location you're thinking about was the earlier version of AAA Root Beer / Kim's on 18th Street? I know that 19th and Edna is practically 18th Street.

I base this on two things.

First, take a look at this showing the older Kim's logo:

You'll see that it looks VERY similar to the Big Boy mascot, in that it's a fresh-faced kid (girl in this case) with a big burger held on a plate up in the air.

Then, there's that article on Kim's history from the Trib:

Quote:

In addition to the Waco Drive location, Kim's had a number of other locations throughout the years: on 18th Street; at 33rd Street and Hillcrest Drive; on South Valley Mills Drive; and one in Woodway, which was located near the Highway 84 access road and Santa Fe Drive.

Quote:

Gene and Bill grew up in San Angelo, where they went to high school. Bill later attended what was then Abilene Christian College (now university) and opened a restaurant in Big Spring called Dairy Maid. Bill owned that restaurant when he and Gene got married in 1949.

The Stanleys moved to Sweetwater, and also had Dairy Maid locations in Brownwood and Abilene.
But they sold their restaurants and the name to Kip's Big Boy, a Dallas-based group of restaurants.

Gene said that a salesman who visited their restaurants noted that Waco didn't have many "drive-in" restaurants just one at the corner of Waco and Valley Mills drives.
After a visit to Waco, Bill decided the city was the perfect place for a new start in the restaurant business.

The Stanleys' first Waco location, on East Waco Drive, was called AAA. They could no longer use the Dairy Maid name. But AAA was a brand of root beer from Oklahoma City, Gene said. And since they owned stock in the company, they served that beverage at their Waco restaurant.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but it's an interesting coincidence that the Kim's founders had sold their previous restaurants to Kip's Big Boy.

Well, that's all I've got. Maybe someone who isn't full of speculation (as I am) will come along and set us all straight.
Bexar Pitts
I dug up that same article..I remember distinctly the "Big Boy" on the outside large sign on the Edna spot...If Mr. Stanley ( who I knew in later years from Kims on 26th and Waco Drive) did own the restaurant I'm talking about..he used the Big Boy name for a time..I just don't know for sure..If any of his girls still live in Waco, I'll try to locate them and ask.. Interesting coincidence for sure that he sold to Kips..Who knows, it was a looong time ago..you may be right..
Blackjack Bear
Played little league baseball in early 60s at northern little league. Greenway shopping center was my teams sponsor. Had green hats and green baseball socks . I think in mid 70s the night club in the shopping center was called ' The Armadillo' . Worked with a fellow who was a regular there. He was a hell raiser , and the Armadillo fit him well .
Bexar Pitts
Blackjack Bear said:

Played little league baseball in early 60s at northern little league. Greenway shopping center was my teams sponsor. Had green hats and green baseball socks . I think in mid 70s the night club in the shopping center was called ' The Armadillo' . Worked with a fellow who was a regular there. He was a hell raiser , and the Armadillo fit him well .
Cool! The whole shopping center was painted in the same green color...Do you remember the burger joint we've been discussing? Not sure how far into the 60's it was open, but I think I can peg it open in 1960..Did you play for Carlton Kilgo? Northern LL All Stars won state and went to Williamsport I believe in 1965..
Blackjack Bear
Don't remember the burger joint, but I do remember a Mexican restaurant in the shopping center. Did not play for Carlton Kilgo . Played there in 61 and 62 . Funny story… there was a about to fall down beer joint down 19th street called Mary's .. kid I grew up with's dad was a regular there. So one Saturday afternoon he drove his car up to Mary's . Tried to park , hit the gas pedal and crashed his car into the side of Mary's . Front of car is inside the place . Three or four fellow came running outside. One hollered out … " hey Benny you can't bring your car in here, you have to come in the front door like everyone else "
Bexar Pitts
Blackjack Bear said:

Don't remember the burger joint, but I do remember a Mexican restaurant in the shopping center. Did not play for Carlton Kilgo . Played there in 61 and 62 . Funny story… there was a about to fall down beer joint down 19th street called Mary's .. kid I grew up with's dad was a regular there. So one Saturday afternoon he drove his car up to Mary's . Tried to park , hit the gas pedal and crashed his car into the side of Mary's . Front of car is inside the place . Three or four fellow came running outside. One hollered out … " hey Benny you can't bring your car in here, you have to come in the front door like everyone else"
Just a normal day in a neighborhood bar! Jack and Etta's was next door to the bait house..Really cold beer and my Baylor buddies and I used to visit occasionally in the early 70's..Story goes that some pipes broke in the bait house and Jack and Ettas had water at least 6" deep on the floor..even deeper in spots..never interrupted the regulars at all..business as usual...Would have given "Cheers" a run for their money for loyal customers! BTW, the burger joint was down almost to where 18th and 19th joined..up from Greenway towards Park Lake..It was gone long before 70's..
Blackjack Bear
Y'all refreshed my memory. There was a burger joint at 19th and Edna . Little white building ? . But I don't remember the name. And used to buy minnows from melvins to crappie fish on lake Waco .
Bexar Pitts
Blackjack Bear said:

Y'all refreshed my memory. There was a burger joint at 19th and Edna . Little white building ? . But I don't remember the name. And used to buy minnows from melvins to crappie fish on lake Waco .
About everyone that fished Lake Waco stopped in at one time or another at Melvin's... at 19th and Alexander.. It was more or less HQ for signing up for tournaments, bait and tackle, and food to take out with you..There was another bait store on down in Greenway next to J&E's... 18th (19th) was one of the main streets to head out to the Lake and Airport..You may be thinking of Bill and Bob's meat market on down 19th a bit towards Park Lake..They had great ,fresh hamburgers and sold and processed about every kind of meat...They started in the 70's I believe..
Blackjack Bear
Might have been bill and bobs . Great place for a good old fashioned hamburger.
PartyBear
I didn't know Kim's had those other locations particularly a location near 84 and Santa Fe. There was nothing out there at the time you were speaking of.

What is at that location and the 33rd and Hillcrestlocation now?
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

I didn't know Kim's had those other locations particularly a location near 84 and Santa Fe. There was nothing out there at the time you were speaking of.

What is at that location and the 33rd and Hillcrestlocation now?
That Hillcrest location WAS Kim's for the Richfield crowd! Everybody made a loop through a couple of times a night to see who was there with who...Now its a Hillcrest Medical Center...I think specializing in Senior Care..Kind of Ironic!
Pseudo3D
One of the things I miss about the old BaylorFans was all the Waco history and lore, like why there's a big chunk of parking lot missing to the right of Hobby Lobby, or watching rats running around Pete's restaurant.
cowboycwr
Pseudo3D said:

One of the things I miss about the old BaylorFans was all the Waco history and lore, like why there's a big chunk of parking lot missing to the right of Hobby Lobby, or watching rats running around Pete's restaurant.

I could be wrong but I think some of the big Waco history threads came over.

Or maybe we just need to start others.
T-REX
Yogi said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

So is jack in the box essentially pulling out of the Waco market?

They closed the one by campus across from the Robinson tower and now this one. That leaves what the one in Bellmead in front of walmart, and the Valley mills one by HEB, right?

Seems if they built one elsewhere on hewitt drive and one in the fast food area across from campus those would be good locations.

I think they'll have 3 - the one in Bellmead, one on Valley Mills by HEB, and the one on Bosque near Target.

I rarely eat JITB but it does seem odd to not have a presence in the fastest growing parts of Waco.

Yes I forgot that one. But you said it. Not to have one anywhere along the 35/baylor/ marketplace area or Hewitt/woodway doesn't seem like good business smarts.
JITB locations are absolutely baffling.

The only one that makes any sense at all is the Bosque Blvd. location. It is near the fast food mecca on Valley Mills Dr. (except that it is not on Valley Mills Dr.), but it has been there since the Jackson Administration, so at least there's that.

Other than that, no Baylor fast food mecca location, no Hewitt/ Woodway location and no North Waco/ China Spring location.

bellmead location makes a ton of sense. You get i35 traffic as that spot is the first real possible stopping spot since Hillsboro unless u stop in west for few choices, you get local traffic to the Walmart, & you get la vega & Connally students assuming they can still leave for lunch. We could leave as soph and up when I was at LV. Ate tons of jack in the box in high school. Cheap and fast. Haven't been back to a jack since high school tho and don't miss it lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
PartyBear
I just saw the other night that a Rosa's Cafe is opening on Hewitt Dr. Looks to be almost complete. I had no idea about that and completely missed the news on that one. I dont drive on that part of Hewitt Dr much anymore.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

I just saw the other night that a Rosa's Cafe is opening on Hewitt Dr. Looks to be almost complete. I had no idea about that and completely missed the news on that one. I dont drive on that part of Hewitt Dr much anymore.
It's gonna make a disaster of an area a complete and utter S-Show.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.