Hawk's Hot Chicken

8,777 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FirmBear24
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any good?
BaylorHistory
I mentioned wanting to try it in another thread as I'm a huge Nashville Hot Chicken fan, but that line has been intense everyday so far. I'll try and give it a shot one night this week.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
254alum
I was driving by the other day around 5:00p and there wasn't a line so I went for it. I thought it was excellent.

Food was a 9/10. Value was a 10/10.
FirmBear24
CammoTX said:

Any good?

Drove by on Friday at 5:30 and it was lined up into Speight. Looking forward to trying.
FirmBear24
Follow-up: tried Hawk's today. Food was great. I got the #2 tender basket Hawk's Hot with the New York butter sauce. Great heat. Drive thru went pretty quick. Will go back.
Grimm
Actually went last night and got the deluxe everything box thing. The tenders were a little dry but the chicken leg things were great... We had like a 20 minute drive home because they are still take out only so the bread and fries got soggy. Seems promising.
trey3216
Had a #2 Box yesterday, Nashville Hot. 15 minute drive to the house, so it wasn't perfect, but was still damn tasty. Also got me a Karbach Crawford Bock to go. Nice touch.

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Illinois Bear
Tried it this afternoon. Huge wait line in the drive thru. Great to see the support.

Had the #1 box with the New York Buffalo sauce. Very very tasty. Due to the comments about things getting a bit soggy we chose to find the nearest parking lot and eat in the car.

This place did not disappoint. Will definitely be back again.
FirmBear24
Believe the inside may be open now. Have been 3x. Consistently good.
1outawayBear
FirmBear24 said:

Inside not open.

Tried it for lunch today.

6 tender combo Nashville hot and holy **** it's way hotter than most Nashville hot. Great food though
BaylorHistory
1outawayBear said:

FirmBear24 said:

Inside not open.

Tried it for lunch today.

6 tender combo Nashville hot and holy **** it's way hotter than most Nashville hot. Great food though
I've been meaning to go back and try the "hot" flavor after getting Nashville hot last time. I think taking it home was a bit of a mistake.
baylrballa
was delicious.

open one in hewitt and it would run raising cane's into the ground.
hill02
I love Hawks as well. A Hewitt Drive location is an interesting idea. Btw - Hawk's is owned and operated by a Baylor football lettermen and huge Baylor fan.
Yogi
A Chick-Fil-A store in Hewitt would easily pay for itself.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
I hope Hawk's survives road construction.
Ludwig von Missi
Wife and I had it tonight. Pretty dang good.
Boernebear
Went for the first time tonight around 8:30, and there was no line at that time. Got two #2's (6 tenders box) - one Hawk's Hot and the other Nashville Hot. Great spice, although the Nashville Hot is best reserved for those who like very spicy foods - I loved it and thought it paired nicely with their ranch sauce.

Great, friendly service, solid food, it's pretty cheap, they have nugget (chewable) ice and it's open until midnight - great new option in Waco and can't wait for the construction to be complete around there!
dougl999
Saw some sort of fries,cheese,gravy thing that kinda looks like poutine.
4th and Inches
dougl999 said:

Saw some sort of fries,cheese,gravy thing that kinda looks like poutine.

who doesnt like poutine?!
dr_marvin
Dining room is now open! Go support a fellow Bear!
hodedofome
I remember the owner talking about playing football at Baylor. It was when Baylor was awful and UT was #1. He was a tight end on a bad team and was bound and determined to successfully block UT's star LB. He went low to give himself a chance and the LB, without even taking his eyes off the ball, just jumped over him and made the tackle anyways. Lol.
Bexar Pitts
hodedofome said:

I remember the owner talking about playing football at Baylor. It was when Baylor was awful and UT was #1. He was a tight end on a bad team and was bound and determined to successfully block UT's star LB. He went low to give himself a chance and the LB, without even taking his eyes off the ball, just jumped over him and made the tackle anyways. Lol.
Sounds like circa 69-70....The infamous Beall years!
hodedofome
Bexar Pitts said:

hodedofome said:

No more like circa 2002.
Bexar Pitts
hodedofome said:

Bexar Pitts said:

hodedofome said:

No more like circa 2002.
Don't know the owner, but either era could probably apply! :-)
Michibear
Have gone twice. May not go back.

Inside just wasn't clean. Lots and lots of flies buzzing around. Trash on the floor. Stuff that a good manager could probably fix.

The chicken was soggy both times, limp and just not appealing, like it had been sitting under a heat lamp.

Hope they can turn it around.
ChefGeoff
Michibear said:

Have gone twice. May not go back.

Inside just wasn't clean. Lots and lots of flies buzzing around. Trash on the floor. Stuff that a good manager could probably fix.

The chicken was soggy both times, limp and just not appealing, like it had been sitting under a heat lamp.

Hope they can turn it around.

That was my experience, too. It just wasn't very good at all. I was really looking forward to having hot chicken in Waco. This place does not serve that.
FirmBear24
I have not been to Hawk's in a few months, so I am discouraged to hear that it is trending downwards. If you like Nashville Hot Chicken, hop over to Waco Ale or Olive Branch. Both have a pretty good NHC sandwich, albeit without the heat that you would normally expect.
Yogi
Man, if you're going to have the nutsack to open a new concept on the wrong side of interstate highway construction, then you'd better have a product that will make people navigate that crap.
NashvilleBear
My family members that tried it said it wasn't terrible but not special. But we aren't good sources, probably.........almost can't go to a single restaurant here without a hot chicken menu item offered
It's hard to measure up to Hattie B's or Prince's
BaylorHistory
NashvilleBear said:

My family members that tried it said it wasn't terrible but not special. But we aren't good sources, probably.........almost can't go to a single restaurant here without a hot chicken menu item offered
It's hard to measure up to Hattie B's or Prince's
You have me checking Southwest prices.
joseywales
Nothing special
BaylorHistory
joseywales said:

Nothing special
I waited in line 2 hours for the downtown Hattie B's location a couple years back. It was really stinking good.
T-REX
Is it still trending downward? I want to try new places when I come to to town for meet the bears on the 28th
BaylorHistory
T-REX said:

Is it still trending downward? I want to try new places when I come to to town for meet the bears on the 28th
I'll give it a shot on my lunch break tomorrow and let you know.
BaylorHistory
BaylorHistory said:

T-REX said:

I'll give it a shot on my lunch break tomorrow and let you know.
Sorry Bellmead traffic is gonna Bellmead traffic today (Who ever said that before the 35 construction?) . I'll get to it next week for you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.