Where to buy a second home/condo in Waco?

8,889 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WILLIS
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wondering where a good place would be to buy a 2nd home in the Waco area? I probably wouldn't rent it out (short-term rentals), more for my family. I looked at Behrens Lofts but they are mostly filled....
JDGorham
I hear that Lake Air Tower has 1 & 2 bedroom condos for sale. No short term rentals are allowed. Many owners are part-time & like the "lock it & leave it" ability.
Boernebear
Ghostrider said:

Wondering where a good place would be to buy a 2nd home in the Waco area? I probably wouldn't rent it out (short-term rentals), more for my family. I looked at Behrens Lofts but they are mostly filled....

We purchased a loft downtown at Kress Lofts a few years ago and we love it. Your primary options for a high end loft in downtown are Behrens, Altura, Kress and Austin Ave Flats (I think that's what it's called). There are a couple other smaller options on Austin Ave too. These units rarely trade, and when they do, it's often off market, direct sales. Altura has a 2 bed/2 bath unit on the market now but that's the only current listing I see on the MLS available.

Being downtown and walkable to restaurants, bars, etc and near campus has been great. We had also considered a single family home on the river, Castle Heights or a newer suburban area, but ultimately liked the idea of a "lock and leave" lifestyle that doesn't require much to take care of. I highly recommend it, but it's really about your needs and what you want for your family. Good luck!
Nguyen One Soon
Used to be multiple baseball parents owned properties at Bandera Ranch on South 2nd. No idea if any of them are currently available. See where at least one Lake Air Towers unit is available.
BUgolfbear
We bought a townhome on Speight- Boardwalk Townhomes. Not fancy, but 2 bed, 2 1/2 baths and close to campus. Paid $78K 3 years ago- updated unit next door just sold for $120K. Perfect for football weekends. During pandemic it was our "southern compound". We loved taking long walks through campus and crossing the river to stadium. Not new or fancy, but serves our purpose.
KEBasketball
Boernebear said:

Ghostrider said:

We purchased a loft downtown at Kress Lofts a few years ago and we love it. Your primary options for a high end loft in downtown are Behrens, Altura, Kress and Austin Ave Flats (I think that's what it's called). There are a couple other smaller options on Austin Ave too. These units rarely trade, and when they do, it's often off market, direct sales. Altura has a 2 bed/2 bath unit on the market now but that's the only current listing I see on the MLS available.

Being downtown and walkable to restaurants, bars, etc and near campus has been great. We had also considered a single family home on the river, Castle Heights or a newer suburban area, but ultimately liked the idea of a "lock and leave" lifestyle that doesn't require much to take care of. I highly recommend it, but it's really about your needs and what you want for your family. Good luck!

This is dead on - we had a home on the river for a few years, but we love the "lock and leave" aspect of being downtown in a condo again!

- KEB
Bearly Interested
We have a place on the river and it is a maintenance nightmare, but fun.
Ghostrider
KEBasketball said:

Boernebear said:

Ghostrider said:

This is dead on - we had a home on the river for a few years, but we love the "lock and leave" aspect of being downtown in a condo again!

- KEB
Which condos did you choose?
KEBasketball
Ghostrider said:

KEBasketball said:

Boernebear said:

Ghostrider said:

- KEB
Which condos did you choose?
We were early on at Behren's Lofts, left there for the river house, and upon selling that property have landed in a rental unit at Cameron Heights for now. The condo itself is nice, but we would prefer to own. The other challenge is that Cameron Heights is just a bit too far west of downtown proper for us (especially relative to our prior experience with Behren's)...

- KEB
1outawayBear
Can't you buy the patio homes right behind Cameron heights? I hear you on location though. We didn't like that aspect when we lived there in 2016.
KEBasketball
1outawayBear said:

Can't you buy the patio homes right behind Cameron heights? I hear you on location though. We didn't like that aspect when we lived there in 2016.
You can - don't want to own that far west at this point...

- KEB
SSadler
KEBasketball said:

1outawayBear said:

- KEB
Which "too far west" are you speaking of. I keep looking for something to buy, but I'm not in the price range of most of those riverfront or downtown properties.

Would be thrilled to sneak into a low end of one of those developments (which would be the high end of my retirement budget).
KEBasketball
SSadler said:

KEBasketball said:

1outawayBear said:

- KEB
Which "too far west" are you speaking of. I keep looking for something to buy, but I'm not in the price range of most of those riverfront or downtown properties.

Would be thrilled to sneak into a low end of one of those developments (which would be the high end of my retirement budget).
Prefer to be downtown. Cameron Heights is in the block between Waco Drive and Bosque bounded by 4th and 5th on the north and south. Not really in the walking footprint of downtown. The units for purchase are on the west side of Bosque...

- KEB
Bexar Pitts
I can certainly foresee a developer buying the Uptown Motel property on North 5th (close to downtown), tearing it down, and putting condos/townhouses in there. Surprised that it hasn't already happened. Might be a deal like the Oak Lodge on 11th and Austin. Who knows..
Moondoggie
Sorry, but please stay away so that those of us who actually live in Waco can find and actually BUY A FREAKING HOME!
BellCountyBear
We own a home near MCC that grosses >$3,000 month as a short term rental. Waco real estate is crazy!
beerman
We just bought in Indian Creek, it's as far west Waco as you can get but location is ideal for everything you need.
4th and Inches
BellCountyBear said:

We own a home near MCC that grosses >$3,000 month as a short term rental. Waco real estate is crazy!
yes, it is..
Yogi
Ghostrider said:

Looking to get rid of a wife?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
forza orsi
This won't work if you're in a hurry, but this condo project is still planned. As far as his ability to complete, the hotel that is adjacent is already substantially complete and far nicer than anything else in town, the brewery is complete and making beer, and the restaurant and bakery are also substantially complete. The bar is beautiful and the beers are very good. Everything in all of them is top of the line.
https://wacotrib.com/business/czech-developer-plans-skyline-shaping-project-next-to-magnolia-silos/article_818930cc-07c3-5190-bcc2-2fc862108c4c.html
BUbearinARK
forza orsi said:

This won't work if you're in a hurry, but this condo project is still planned. As far as his ability to complete, the hotel that is adjacent is already substantially complete and far nicer than anything else in town, the brewery is complete and making beer, and the restaurant and bakery are also substantially complete. The bar is beautiful and the beers are very good. Everything in all of them is top of the line.
https://wacotrib.com/business/czech-developer-plans-skyline-shaping-project-next-to-magnolia-silos/article_818930cc-07c3-5190-bcc2-2fc862108c4c.html
I'm not looking for a place in Waco, but this is the real deal. How do I contact??
GoBearsGo
Do all of these lofts limit short term rentals?
FrankFallonCalling
Any intel on the boutique hotel that was slated to go into the old Geyser Ice Co spot?
Boernebear
GoBearsGo said:

I know we do at Kress; not sure about the other loft buildings downtown, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are all like that.
GoBearsGo
Boernebear said:

GoBearsGo said:

I know we do at Kress; not sure about the other loft buildings downtown, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are all like that.

That's what I thought. I'll be interested in another year or two and that timeline could be moved up if I could rent it while. It in use.
whitetrash
FrankFallonCalling said:

Any intel on the boutique hotel that was slated to go into the old Geyser Ice Co spot?

Dead in the water.
cowboycwr
FrankFallonCalling said:

Speaking of hotels,

What ever happened to the hotel that was going to be built in the deal with Baylor somewhere along the river? I forget where exactly but it has been over 2 years since it was announced with no progress happening.
Griz
The Grant? That will not be happening. The location was not great, and perhaps other issues.
cowboycwr
Griz said:

The Grant? That will not be happening. The location was not great, and perhaps other issues.
I think that was the one. Wasn't it supposed to be across the river from the FC? In a very random spot that many said would not be good as it was near nothing. Not surprised that fell apart.
Bear Doc
Griz said:

Website still exists:

https://granthotelwaco.com/

I guess no one will be able to hop aboard the Lady Donell after all...
cowboycwr
Bear Doc said:

Griz said:

Website still exists:

With no details at all.

I found the old thread on it.

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/49427/1

It was supposed to go across from the new basketball arena (when it was to be built by the FC.

I guess moving it downtown has hurt the possibility of this hotel happening.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

Bear Doc said:

Griz said:

Website still exists:

With no details at all.

It was supposed to go across from the new basketball arena (when it was to be built by the FC.

The capital raising for this "investment" was never going to allow it to be built to begin with. This thing was never going to get off the ground. Even if the arena had been built near the FC, this thing would not have been built.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Bear Doc said:

Griz said:

Website still exists:

With no details at all.

The capital raising for this "investment" was never going to allow it to be built to begin with. This thing was never going to get off the ground. Even if the arena had been built near the FC, this thing would not have been built.
Oh I figured that back when it was announced. Building a hotel that is not near another single building, on a side of a road that is not a major one, just never seemed like a good idea to me.
Griz
......and near the county jail, and a gravel pit, and with a view of the log jammed Lake Brazos dam. Location, location, location.
Lawbear
KEBasketball said:

Boernebear said:

Ghostrider said:

- KEB
We've had a place on the River for 2 years and it has been fantastic. Part of the allure is that it is an only an hour twenty minutes from our house in Dallas - maybe 1.5 hours with traffic. No doubt that there is maintenance to do, but for some reason I don't mind doing it at the River as opposed to doing it in Dallas. Wouldn't mind the River not flooding for a couple of years though. Feels like the country and still 10 minutes from Downtown.

I certainly also get the appeal of the lofts though. They would just get better and better as more development occurs downtown and The Foster Pavilion gets built.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.