Quiktrip off of New Road

8,458 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pseudo3D
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

Little drink selection outside of fountain drinks and the bbq is worse than Dickey's.

Going to a gas station and expecting good BBQ may have been your first mistake. ; )

Buc-ee's is a novelty and it's Texas. It's big and friendly. I don't go out of my way to stop there; however, it has super clean and abundant restrooms when the family needs to stop. The food, other than the BBQ, is passable for a road trip.

They are expanding into many of the southeastern states: Georgia, Tenn, Florida, SC, AL, and Miss.
loanbear
Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Little drink selection outside of fountain drinks and the bbq is worse than Dickey's.

Going to a gas station and expecting good BBQ may have been your first mistake. ; )

Buc-ee's is a novelty and it's Texas. It's big and friendly. I don't go out of my way to stop there; however, it has super clean and abundant restrooms when the family needs to stop. The food, other than the BBQ, is passable for a road trip.

They are expanding into many of the southeastern states: Georgia, Tenn, Florida, SC, AL, and Miss.
Totally agree. Their BBQ is more than fine as is the rest of their food. You can't compare a gas station to a sit down BBQ restaurant. Totally different animals. For a stop and go place to get gas, quick food, and great restrooms, it is hard to beat. I would love to see their books because I promise you they are just printing money, so I think a huge number of people would agree on the quality of their offering when taken in context.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

When you're on the road and need a bite, some gas station BBQ is pretty solid. Bucee's is a no. Woody's in Centerville has better jerky, summer sausage (elk/deer/bison/etc) than Buccee's as well. Travelling 45 a ton between Dallas and Houston makes me avoid Bucee's altogether.
Funky Town Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

When you're on the road and need a bite, some gas station BBQ is pretty solid. Bucee's is a no. Woody's in Centerville has better jerky, summer sausage (elk/deer/bison/etc) than Buccee's as well. Travelling 45 a ton between Dallas and Houston makes me avoid Bucee's altogether.
Some of the best BBQ I've had has been Hill Country gas station BBQ.
Coke Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Fair enough, although I perceive Woody's, Rudy's, et al. as more a BBQ store with gas pumps than a gas station with BBQ.

WILLIS
Woodys bbq sucks. I've had a couple awful brisket sandwiches there. I'll give them the jerky nod and I enjoy stopping there for the military tribute on the way to the restroom lol. But buccees jerky certainly isn't below average by any measure. Bbq sandwich is fine too. Not bad. Not great. The madisonville store needs a big overhaul for the amount of traffic it gets. On i-10, newish praseks store near sealy is a great stop. Kolaches. Jerky. Sausage. Deer processing too. I-10 construction doesn't make it easy for them currently.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WILLIS said:

Woodys bbq sucks. I've had a couple awful brisket sandwiches there. I'll give them the jerky nod and I enjoy stopping there for the military tribute on the way to the restroom lol. But buccees jerky certainly isn't below average by any measure. Bbq sandwich is fine too. Not bad. Not great. The madisonville store needs a big overhaul for the amount of traffic it gets. On i-10, newish praseks store near sealy is a great stop. Kolaches. Jerky. Sausage. Deer processing too. I-10 construction doesn't make it easy for them currently.
I've had hit or miss at Woody's depending on the north or south side of 45. North meh, South good/decent, better than Dickey's or Bucee's.

Will hit Prasek's next time I'm through.
No Longer Gold
Brian Ethridge said:

WILLIS said:

I've had hit or miss at Woody's depending on the north or south side of 45. North meh, South good/decent, better than Dickey's or Bucee's.

Aren't they on the east and west?

West has the revolver smoker, east is the older looking one.

Right?
lrwells50
Brian Ethridge said:

fadskier said:

Ivy_Twin said:

We have arrived! Got hooked on Quiktrip when I lived in KCMO. They are the best convenience store, bar none.
Have you ever been to a Bucc-ees?
Sucks...

My only criteria for a convenience store is the restrooms, and Buccees wins hands down.
lrwells50
Swart Dra said:

Buccees is great, but it's a whip.

QT is in and out. All of the employees seem to like their job, and it's so much cheaper than most.

Give me bucees on a road trip, give me QT for weekly fill up's.
I get my gas at Krogers and use points.
lrwells50
Brian Ethridge said:

Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

I've never bought food at a convenience store, other than a bag of chips, etc.
CammoTX
lrwells50 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Blue "Plate" lunches in S Louisiana at convenience stores are some of the best eating around.
BaylorHistory
lrwells50 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Irwells50 going into QT like

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Swart Dra said:

Brian Ethridge said:

WILLIS said:

Aren't they on the east and west?

West has the revolver smoker, east is the older looking one.

Right?
You exit going North or South.
Pseudo3D
Is the old Luby's off Bellmead being leveled or are they going to gut it for the new QuikTrip? (A Luby's in Houston was actually turned into a modern gas station, Church's Chicken subtenant and all--without demolishing anything but the drive-up canopy).
Weston Rogers
Pseudo3D said:

Is the old Luby's off Bellmead being leveled or are they going to gut it for the new QuikTrip? (A Luby's in Houston was actually turned into a modern gas station, Church's Chicken subtenant and all--without demolishing anything but the drive-up canopy).
The Luby's has already been taken down and the new QT is being built.
Bexar Pitts
CammoTX said:

lrwells50 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Coke Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Blue "Plate" lunches in S Louisiana at convenience stores are some of the best eating around.
Absolutely! Food N Geaux in Baton Rouge is excellent!
T-REX
Weston Rogers said:

Pseudo3D said:

The Luby's has already been taken down and the new QT is being built.
as a la vega pirate, but never a bellmead resident because my family ain't trash, I'm very happy a QT is going up. I know i35 is the reason and it makes sense there but small things like that help to improve that **** hole area. Plus I would have loved going to QT on lunch breaks in high school. I still remember driving from LV to Baylor taco bell on game days for lunch. 30 mins from bell to bell. We speeded like crazy. Then they opened the bellmead one and we thought we were kings lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Mike E
Buc-cees is awesome and it sucks that Temple got the location over Waco.

But I agree their BBQ is not good. I've also had good bbq at gas stations before but not at Buc-cees.

I used to travel to the DFW area somewhat often and would always stop at a QT on the way. Love their many taquito options on the rollers. I haven't made it out to the Waco location yet but I'm glad we now have one.

Stripes has gone downhill a lot since they took over Waco a decade or so ago.
4th and Inches
Mike E said:

But I agree their BBQ is not good. I've also had good bbq at gas stations before but not at Buc-cees.

I used to travel to the DFW area somewhat often and would always stop at a QT on the way. Love their many taquito options on the rollers. I haven't made it out to the Waco location yet but I'm glad we now have one.

new QT going up in Bellmead where Lubys used to be as well
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Sampi82
Mike E said:

Sunoco which was originally Susser Petroleum no longer owns Stripes C-Stores. Owned/operated by 7-Eleven since late 2017 early 18.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
BaylorOkie
If you start going to QT get the app. There is good stuff on it.
Pseudo3D
Sampi82 said:

Mike E said:

Sunoco which was originally Susser Petroleum no longer owns Stripes C-Stores. Owned/operated by 7-Eleven since late 2017 early 18.
Are they even still branded as Stripes? Google Maps seems to report the one at Valley Mills being 7-Eleven now, and there have been a number of conversions in other markets (even the one in Fentress is a 7-Eleven), but I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it.
Sampi82
Pseudo3D said:

Sampi82 said:

Mike E said:

Are they even still branded as Stripes? Google Maps seems to report the one at Valley Mills being 7-Eleven now, and there have been a number of conversions in other markets (even the one in Fentress is a 7-Eleven), but I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it.

As part of 7-Eleven's purchase/sale agreement with Sunoco for the Stripes chain (1,100 or so locations) Sunoco has the fuel supply contract with all for 15 years. The reason most or all that were branded Sunoco at the time of the acquisition remain branded Sunoco for the fuel. Sunoco is also one of the largest fuel distributors in the country with multiple brands available in addition to the Sunoco brand - Exxon/Mobil, Chevron/Texaco, Shell, P66/Conoco, Valero, Citgo, Gulf.

7-Eleven also owns their own fuel distributorship after acquiring TETCO out of San Antonio in 2012. TETCO owned/operated their own C-stores and were also a fuel distributor with multiple brands for independent dealer sites. 7-Eleven doesn't use their own fuel distributorship to supply their company owned/operated sites or if they do it is on a limited basis. Their fuel distributorship is primary focused on supplying independent branded dealer business.

Most distributor branded contracts are for 10 years. Many 7-Eleven sites were acquisitions that included a branded fuel supply contract they had/have to honor until it expires. When that contract expires, they sometimes choose to go unbranded depending on the site/location. In some cases when they build a new site, there is a nearby branded conflict with their preferred brand for that site that prevents it and could be the reason it is unbranded.

Many factors are involved with branded sites.
Pseudo3D
Sampi82 said:

Pseudo3D said:

Sampi82 said:

Mike E said:

As part of 7-Eleven's purchase/sale agreement with Sunoco for the Stripes chain (1,100 or so locations) Sunoco has the fuel supply contract with all for 15 years. The reason most or all that were branded Sunoco at the time of the acquisition remain branded Sunoco for the fuel. Sunoco is also one of the largest fuel distributors in the country with multiple brands available in addition to the Sunoco brand - Exxon/Mobil, Chevron/Texaco, Shell, P66/Conoco, Valero, Citgo, Gulf.

7-Eleven also owns their own fuel distributorship after acquiring TETCO out of San Antonio in 2012. TETCO owned/operated their own C-stores and were also a fuel distributor with multiple brands for independent dealer sites. 7-Eleven doesn't use their own fuel distributorship to supply their company owned/operated sites or if they do it is on a limited basis. Their fuel distributorship is primary focused on supplying independent branded dealer business.

Most distributor branded contracts are for 10 years. Many 7-Eleven sites were acquisitions that included a branded fuel supply contract they had/have to honor until it expires. When that contract expires, they sometimes choose to go unbranded depending on the site/location. In some cases when they build a new site, there is a nearby branded conflict with their preferred brand for that site that prevents it and could be the reason it is unbranded.

Many factors are involved with branded sites.
Right, I know what the actual gas branding was--I remember when before Sunoco Stripes was self-branded for the gasoline part too. I'm just wondering if the actual convenience store rebranded.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.