SlowRise on The Brazos

21,004 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
sipembeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opens tomorrow 4/21 at 5 PM

Edit: pending city inspection and approval…
1outawayBear
Nice!!
Yogi
Copeland also noted last weekend that Shorty's II will be going into Midway Center behind Ace Hardware and across the street from Rollo's II.

I think Trevino's used to be in that location.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
1outawayBear
Yogi said:

Copeland also noted last weekend that Shorty's II will be going into Midway Center behind Ace Hardware and across the street from Rollo's II.

Yea I'm friends with one of the co owners. There were delays due to being in the same center as a daycare and having to get approval to sell beer etc so close to a daycare facility
sipembeers
1outawayBear said:

Yogi said:

Yea I'm friends with one of the co owners. There were delays due to being in the same center as a daycare and having to get approval to sell beer etc so close to a daycare facility

Yup, they are going to be adding some outside seating too. Going to be sweet set up.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

Yogi said:

A bunch of us are...
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

Yogi said:

A bunch of us are...

Kyle is the man
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

Yogi said:

A bunch of us are...

Kyle is the man

I've got a great story about that place I've told before, but it's a lot better in person. We'll have to go grab a few slices and pitchers sometime soon.
CorsicanaBear
Slow Rise on the Brazos was open yesterday. Yuge crowd, overflowed the parking lot. We were planning on going, drove past, wound up at Barnette's. Still no parking at Slow Rise on the way home.
clcrash29
Great place, hope people go to support it, want to see this place do well.
1outawayBear
clcrash29 said:

Great place, hope people go to support it, want to see this place do well.
Well I was with some friends Saturday and we drove by the place and its parking lot reminded me of Monday dollar mason jar beers at lake steak. place was packed
Robert Wilson
1outawayBear said:

Monday dollar mason jar beers at lake steak
Pizza is great and all, but this sounds tough to beat.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

1outawayBear said:

Monday dollar mason jar beers at lake steak
Pizza is great and all, but this sounds tough to beat.
yea it was great. and they didn't card freshman like myself. Helluva time
Boernebear
Doesn't look like anyone has shared the article from the Waco Trib yet…sounds great and looking forward to trying it out!

https://wacotrib.com/business/local/slow-rise-slice-house-making-an-impression-on-brazos-river/article_44453a5e-c679-11ec-9f64-8bcf66c28b8c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
SteamedHams
We did the new Slowrise this past Friday. It was packed, the space is enormous and it was standing room only. Had to park two fields over, took almost 2 hours to get our food. Nearly walked out but held out to the bitter end. We had our 5 & 7 year old with us, so that was pretty tough. I realize its early so, there's some grace there. But I probably won't be back for a good while until I hear of the kinks being worked out.

Location is neat though, saw some ridiculous boats pulling up into their docks, made for some fun dining scenery. But two hours for a pizza is just criminal. Hopefully they get it all worked out.
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

We did the new Slowrise this past Friday. It was packed, the space is enormous and it was standing room only. Had to park two fields over, took almost 2 hours to get our food. Nearly walked out but held out to the bitter end. We had our 5 & 7 year old with us, so that was pretty tough. I realize its early so, there's some grace there. But I probably won't be back for a good while until I hear of the kinks being worked out.

Location is neat though, saw some ridiculous boats pulling up into their docks, made for some fun dining scenery. But two hours for a pizza is just criminal. Hopefully they get it all worked out.
Seems like it was the 200 pizzas in front of you that made yours take 2 hours.

Probably not as many kinks to work out as you think. Purely a function of order logjam and limitations of time constraint, i.e. the physics of the oven.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

Probably not as many kinks to work out as you think. Purely a function of order logjam and limitations of time constraint, i.e. the physics of the oven.
My post was meant as cautionary tale to others who might be interested in checking it out, coming with an expectation that their experience would be like 99.9% of the previous dining experiences. I don't know how often you typically have to wait for food, but beyond 2 hours is certainly out of my norm, even for a new restaurant.
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

My post was meant as cautionary tale to others who might be interested in checking it out, coming with an expectation that their experience would be like 99.9% of the previous dining experiences. I don't know how often you typically have to wait for food, but beyond 2 hours is certainly out of my norm, even for a new restaurant.

I typically don't wait that long. I also typically don't go places at the very busiest of times unless I'm fully expecting to wait to be seated and wait for my food.

Therein lies one of the problems. They have an enormous capacity due to the outside seating. Yes, they'll whittle that time down as the new cooks and servers get more experienced and efficient, but that may take 25% off the time with their capacity. But the capacity restraint will still exist. The oven isn't going to bake any faster. That's just the facts of the matter.

And I'm not trying to be trite or demeaning, it's just a function of seating capacity vs cooking capacity.
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

I typically don't wait that long. I also typically don't go places at the very busiest of times unless I'm fully expecting to wait to be seated and wait for my food.

Therein lies one of the problems. They have an enormous capacity due to the outside seating. Yes, they'll whittle that time down as the new cooks and servers get more experienced and efficient, but that may take 25% off the time with their capacity. But the capacity restraint will still exist. The oven isn't going to bake any faster. That's just the facts of the matter.

And I'm not trying to be trite or demeaning, it's just a function of seating capacity vs cooking capacity.

Maybe they should have pizza delivered from their other locations. A good Tech grad could figure this out in a jiffy.

Robert Wilson
Interesting. I'm still excited about the place. But I've driven by their a number of times and not stopped. No way I'm going in while it is that busy.
Bearly Interested
How is the pizza itself?

(I am super excited to go there in a boat and take in the scene.)
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Bearly Interested said:

How is the pizza itself?

Two different neighbors went via land last week. One just cruised through out of curiosity and the other ate. The report was the pizza was good and that there were several interesting options on the menu.

We hope to launch, cruise and eat there this week.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

I'm not trying to be trite or demeaning

SteamedHams
Bearly Interested said:

How is the pizza itself?

Pizza itself was fine, exact same as the Woodway location if you've been there before. We go to that one fairly regularly because of the play area for the kids which the river doesn't have. I think the Woodway spot has now become the de facto post-season team banquet restaurant at this point. Also tons of seating
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

Ok. Seems like you are misunderstanding me, or lacking knowledge of logistics/operations based upon this response. I was trying to explain the situation without having to dive into a huge explanation. Perhaps I'll get into that when I have 10 minutes to type.
ursamajor
They've done a great job in setting up shop in places where there are very few other sit down options. In the fast food Mecca of Hewitt/Woodway, it's pretty much fine dining. I love seeing local places succeed. But I personally don't even like the wait at the Woodway location. Lots and lots of folks don't mind, but my kids have never locked in with the play at a restaurant vibe.

It seems pretty clear that a two hour wait time is a kink to be worked out, though. I can't imagine that's what they want/intend, since suburban families are a big part of the demographic. Even with their business model that's a scare-off-customers kind of wait, as Hams attests.

Waco is weird for its crazy crowds at restaurant openings, though. I remember when Fat Ho burgers opened and had like an hour and a half wait time for about a week. Waco's still a small enough place that a new restaurant is a big deal to everyone in town.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

Ok. Seems like you are misunderstanding me, or lacking knowledge of logistics/operations based upon this response. I was trying to explain the situation without having to dive into a huge explanation. Perhaps I'll get into that when I have 10 minutes to type.

I get it, huge place, tons of pizza, physical limits of how quickly a pizza can cook.

But how they use their servers, how you prioritize slice orders vs whole pie orders, everyone being funneled into one register to order when they have four conceivable spaces to check people out, all of which is at the bar so you have to wait in a massive line to get a drink, etc, would qualify as kinks to me. All of which I assume will be worked out in time.

Again, my original post was to share my experience with others looking to try it out and bring the appropriate expectation that they, at this early stage, might have to wait multiple hours for their pizza.

That's it. Nothing more complicated than that. Don't make a mountain out of my molehill comment.
BUbearinARK
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

I get it, huge place, tons of pizza, physical limits of how quickly a pizza can cook.

But how they use their servers, how you prioritize slice orders vs whole pie orders, everyone being funneled into one register to order when they have four conceivable spaces to check people out, all of which is at the bar so you have to wait in a massive line to get a drink, etc, would qualify as kinks to me. All of which I assume will be worked out in time.

Again, my original post was to share my experience with others looking to try it out and bring the appropriate expectation that they, at this early stage, might have to wait multiple hours for their pizza.

That's it. Nothing more complicated than that. Don't make a mountain out of my molehill comment.
tl;dr
SteamedHams
BUbearinARK said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

tl;dr

Illiteracy is one of the biggest problems facing our country. There's still hope for you yet. Don't give up.
BUbearinARK
SteamedHams said:

BUbearinARK said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

tl;dr

Illiteracy is one of the biggest problems facing our country. There's still hope for you yet. Don't give up.
Ur smart

trey3216
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

SteamedHams said:

No doubt. I'm not disagreeing that there will be some operational efficiencies wheee they improve. But getting absolutely bombarded like they are is akin to trying to fast serve long meals at the packed ballpark. Can't go between innings and think it's gonna be quick.

As someone else said, Waco is a weird place when it comes to new openings. Hopefully things will improve both operationally and spread out arrival by patrons soon. I've discussed some things with the guys already. Primarily with food runner efficiency and order placement area. The thing about having one cashier area for food orders is it actually paces the order entry well, and limits the possibility of lost orders in their service model. Works at the other locale just fine. They need to distribute the food in a better way at the new locale. I bet they waste 5 minutes per order just hunting people down.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Went last night, there around 6pm. Two deep to order so that went quick. New bar staff who couldn't tell hubs what type the beers on tap were, but it's on the large menu though you can't see it from end of bar where you order. Pizzas was good, came out in reasonable amount of time. So much $ being lost right now by not having pier bar open but assume they will get to it. Overall it was a great experience even taking into account that boat wouldn't start when we headed home (starter?) Neighbor came to rescue and ended towing us home for a lovely sunset cruise.
baylrballa
went, it was fine. biggest hope is it lessens some of the traffic at the other location.
CorsicanaBear
Slow Rise was way past packed when I drove past about 30 minutes ago on the way to Alpha/Omega. Ribeye gyro is legit.
Illinois Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

Ribeye gyro is legit.

Amen! Solid fries too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.