Best school districts in the Waco area?

11,701 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cowboycwr
BaylorB254
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What schools in the surrounding Waco would you all recommend for a child middle school and up?

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor
Midway - although Midway just seems way too big.

Thanks!
BaylorHistory
I didn't go to either, but I would pick Midway or China Spring.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Griz
We have had a wonderful experience in Lorena.
BaylorHistory
Griz said:

I thought they were a bit lacking in academic opportunities compared to Midway & CS? Like a limited number of AP, Dual Credit, or elective opportunities?
MrGolfguy
Not Midway
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Coke Bear
BaylorHistory said:

Griz said:

I thought they were a bit lacking in academic opportunities compared to Midway & CS? Like a limited number of AP, Dual Credit, or elective opportunities?
I have one left in Lorena. He's taking the dual-credit History and Gov't. He's dyslexic so elected not to take the duel-credit English. One of his friends will graduate with 18 hours.

I would agree that Midway does have more DC opportunities. My daughter is in her first year teaching at China Spring, she stated that they have the same DC as Lorena.

After several years in 4A of doing well in all sports, Lorena dropped down to 3A last year. They will be staying down again. Volleyball made it to state this year. Football is winning in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

CS is like Midway about 30+ years ago. That area is really exploding. Good school with good athletics and great band that was 6th in state this year.

Coke Bear
BaylorB254 said:

What schools in the surrounding Waco would you all recommend for a child middle school and up?

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!
I would suggest figuring out what you want from the school.

Does your child like band, theater, music, athletics? Are they a stud athlete or do they just want to play sports?

CS has a great band. Midway has orchestra. Lorena has a good band has fun.

Crawford excels at many areas both academically and athletically. It's a great small school with amazing parental involvement.
BaylorHistory
Coke Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Griz said:

I have one left in Lorena. He's taking the dual-credit History and Gov't. He's dyslexic so elected not to take the duel-credit English. One of his friends will graduate with 18 hours.

I would agree that Midway does have more DC opportunities. My daughter is in her first year teaching at China Spring, she stated that they have the same DC as Lorena.

Thanks boss, good info here. I went to Robinson and felt that it, Lorena, and China Spring were similar then.
Griz
My Lorena kids went to BU with 18 hours, and it could've been more. I didn't feel like they lacked for anything. I am sure the high end of the intellectual curve would have more at Midway. My kids all got to excel at various sports, and make great friends. Very conservative administration.
CTbruin
Midway is still the best in the county. But very large.

Lorena and China Spring are very good.
McGregor and Crawford right behind.
Stay away from Waco ISD

Several very good privates.....Vanguard, Live Oak
Robert Wilson
Your list is a very good one - all good schools

After that just depends on personal preferences- eg size, extracurriculars, culture, etc

Different options will be better for different kids

Example - if you have a boy who loves to play all sports, look at Crawford - excellent coaching / culture / solid academics at a small school (maybe surprisingly highest average sat and act in county, though functionally even with midway CS and Lorena). If you've got a daughter whose passion is the cello, look at Midway - fine arts programs that rival any school anywhere. Etc…
MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

Stay away from Midway
fixed
BylrFan
What about Robinson
Coke Bear
BylrFan said:

What about Robinson
I'm not a fair judge. My kids went to/go to Lorena and my wife works there. Robinson is a heated rival. I want to beat them in everything, but I don't necessarily hate them. As a Little League and High School softball umpire, I've gotten to know many of those girls and their parents over the last ten years.

Having said that, they are a good, small school, but I don't know what they excel at. Lorena consistently beats them in almost every sport and competition, even though they have nearly 50% more students.

They have a nice community and some good neighborhoods that are close to Waco.
Weston Rogers
BaylorB254 said:

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!
If Midway seems too big to you(understandable) then China Spring is the top dog on that list.
91 Bear
My daughter attended Midway and enjoyed it. Top 15 in her class and captain of dance team. She felt it was a good competitive environment. She came to BU with 13 credits from high school and received a good scholarship. She says Midway prepared her well. 4 year songleader, Pi Phi and 4.0 GPA. Recently accepted to BU Law with scholarship. We are happy we moved from inner Waco to MISD.
Jackson Bear
BaylorB254 said:

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!
Do you want private recommendations as well?
BaylorHistory
BylrFan said:

What about Robinson
It was fine. You can be a city kid or a country kid and fit into a group. It'll be competitive at the top and if you are mildly athletic then you can play every sport.
BaylorHistory
Jackson Bear said:

BaylorB254 said:

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!
Do you want private recommendations as well?
Vanguard for anyone that can afford it/get in and Live Oak if you're a Christian.
Jackson Bear
BaylorB254 said:

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!
I am a teacher at a local school district, a parent of a current 15 year old sophomore at Midway who has exceled academically and athletically, and my wife used to teach there. It all depends on what you want and what your child needs. The best academics will be at Midway. No school district in the county has the number of AP classes that Midway does. Excellent education for the college prep path. I teach both AP and DC and AP prepares you much better for college if the teacher is good because ,more writing is required. Midway also has the strongest Fine Arts program (my son is also in choir). The downside is size. Some kids have no problem with it and others do. Only you can know how that will affect your child. Regarding sports, it depends on how good your child is. Midway competes at a very high level and there is a lot of competition to make the teams. All sports cut except for football. Also, football is in the middle of a rebuild job. Baseball is outstanding with a great coach.

We also know families who are very happy at CS, Lorena, and Crawford. Their size does limit some opportunities, but they are strong communities that support their school.

Check out Vanguard as far as private schools. It has the best academics in town and is a Dallas/Houston/Austin quality private school at half the price.
HarvillProfs
BaylorB254 said:

Lorena
China Spring
Crawford
McGregor

Thanks!

We moved here 13 years ago and did a lot of research into the local school districts. Midway for a very large school is the best large school. We wanted a smaller school and China Spring was the best then. Our boys are now sophomores at Baylor. We feel like we made the right decision.
The Professor(s)
SicEm!
MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

Stay away from Waco ISD
bubear20
Robinson is a complete crap show right now. Their Superintendent is waiting till his daughter (7th grade) graduates to retire and has it on complete cruise control. They have a super high turnover rate and their coaches care more about themselves than the kids. Avoid at all cost

School I would recommend in order: Lorena, Live Oak (about to jump to 11 man football), Crawford, Midway (has become very progressive), Vanguard (secular private college prep, really smart kids), and China Spring.

I've either coached, volunteered with or graduated from each of those except Crawford but know a lot of people in that community and they are good propel.
bubear20
Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
hill02
We love Live Oak. Just so many solid families. Both Coach Drew and Aranda send their kids there.

If you are interested, apply early because nearly every grade below 8th now has a waiting list.
BaylorGuy314
Midway is great but huge now. Big schools means more activities to be involved with but also far less personable. I went to a large HS in the Houston area. I didn't regret it one bit but didn't know even half of the people in my graduating class. Depends on what's important to you. Varsity sports are a challenge to make.

Lorena and China Spring seem to be the most popular of the middle sized schools. Great teacher retention at both. I feel like Robinson is fine as well but just seems less in demand compared to the others.

McGregor is trending the right direction and I think is a future area of growth in the Waco area. Has a much higher Hispanic population (>40%) than some of it's peer 3A-4A schools in the area which has a negative effect on it's reading standardized test scores, giving it a bit of an unfair reputation as an underperformer when it's really not the case.

Crawford is excellent. Smaller 2A school which is nice if your child wants to be involved in multiple sports. Even Lorena as a big 3A (almost 4A) is getting big enough that playing multiple varsity sports is challenging.

Bosqueville is also well respected small 2A school between China Spring and Waco.

cowboycwr
bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
Waco ISD is trash. They have lots of DC and AP offerings at both high schools and they push for those students to take more of those courses and graduate with an associates when they finish high school. (in something like general studies so really it is not worth much).

But the problems in the two schools outweigh the benefits of those programs. Constant fights, no discipline, high teacher turnover, etc.
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

Waco ISD is trash.
Trash? Really? That's rather harsh. For the record Midway ISD has a lot of the same problems but it all just gets swept under the rug out there. One of the biggest myths around Waco is that Midway ISD is some wonderful utopia that's all sunshine & happiness. Bullsh:t; Midway is a hellhole when you take an honest look at it.
Robert Wilson
Funny stat - more kids transfer from Midway ISD to Waco ISD than the other way around. Interesting.

Waco ISD can work really well in HS if your kids are smart and stay in all AP. Can learn a lot, graduate high in their class, and graduate with a ton of college credit. They can also learn a lot about the world and appreciating the value of certain things they might otherwise take for granted. But it is not a good fit for everyone.
bubear20
Have you worked in either district?

Also these days with college prices where they're at going in with two years knocked out of the way and an associates degree is a really positive thing, not to mention at Waco you don't have to pay for DC classes, whereas at Midway you do.
BaylorHistory
bubear20 said:

Robinson is a complete crap show right now. Their Superintendent is waiting till his daughter (7th grade) graduates to retire and has it on complete cruise control. They have a super high turnover rate and their coaches care more about themselves than the kids. Avoid at all cost
My brother is an alum and a current HC out there and I can tell you that is not the case as he left a higher paying job to take the Robinson job. Of course I wouldn't pick an education for my kid based on coaches anyway.

I do agree a ton with your thoughts on getting an associates out of high school. It's a great thing to get that out of the way for cheap and often it means that your kid can get the traditional 4 year college experience if they want it and leave with a master's degree.
BaylorHistory
Robert Wilson said:

Waco ISD can work really well in HS if your kids are smart and stay in all AP.
At both high schools the AP kids all stick together pretty closely and end up doing well.
SteamedHams
I taught at UHS and at MHS, both within the last few years, and I would prefer my kids attend a small vocational welding school on the darkside of the moon then allow them to attend University High. I can't speak to Waco High personally, although I know we had a ton of WHS ex-pats at UHS who were elated to get out of there and over to UHS, so I can't even imagine, but having then taught at Midway, it was a dream in comparison. Waco ISD, at least in the older grades, is much more a survive-and-move-along attitude. "Hey, 53% is like passing, and they only missed 17 classes this semester, so a 53 is pretty good considering, we don't have space if they don't get this credit, so pass 'em and just move along". That was the case over...and over...and over.

There was zero recourse or discipline in WISD. Think about it, you are in a class and you tell your teacher to F-off, or steal a computer, or get in a fight. Or all of the above. In-school suspension? Likely don't have the space for it. Call parents? Good luck getting ahold of them, most of the numbers I called ended up just being the phone for Marshalls or Home Depot or City of Waco, totally bogus. And even if you do, it changes nothing. Out of school suspension? Great, no school! Alternative school? Sorry, can't, beyond capacity. And then there is zero hope to make up work if they are suspended.

So, you are told "dude, I know that kid just broke that girl's jaw and also left his weed in the art room, but we don't have anywhere to put him and we can't expel him because we need the state funding per enrolled student...so...just deal it, ok?" -- and then imagine having 6-7 classes of 35+ kids in that environment, with zero administrative support. I dealt with zero of that at Midway. Sure, it's not perfect, but Waco ISD is an absolute nightmarish affair. I can't speak to the elementary levels, but anything from Middle School and up, good luck.
Coke Bear
Robert Wilson said:

Funny stat - more kids transfer from Midway ISD to Waco ISD than the other way around. Interesting.

Waco ISD can work really well in HS if your kids are smart and stay in all AP. Can learn a lot, graduate high in their class, and graduate with a ton of college credit. They can also learn a lot about the world and appreciating the value of certain things they might otherwise take for granted. But it is not a good fit for everyone.
One reason why many transfer is to jump up to the 1st quarter at WISD. For instance, a 93-average at Midway might be mid-2nd quarter. At WISD, that's most likely 1st quarter. Scholarship money and college acceptance play a role there. A girl in my Midway class of '88 did that.

I do agree with you about the smart, hard-working kids at WISD. They are good kids that will do well when they get out.
Robert Wilson
I would not send a kid to Waco ISD middle school (where they are all in gen pop) or high school if your kid is a gen pop kid. If they can take all AP classes and dual credit classes at MCC and pick their extracurriculars, it can work out very well. Lots of college credit, direct entrance to UT or A&M (or wherever), and a more well rounded view of the world. But, as I said, your kid better be smart, self driven, and independent. The right kids come out of there and kill it. The mass of lower socio economic and kids who don't care outside of AP would upset or de-rail some kids.

My point is different things work for different kids. Some kids really need the smaller environment of a China Spring or Lorena or would love the smaller environment and very active extracurriculars of a Crawford (great community and highest average test scores in the county). Some kids would love the big time fine arts at Midway and not mind the big # of students. McLennan County has 17 public school districts - the most per capita in the state of Texas. It's a good situation with a lot of variety. You just need to pick what works best for you. There isn't one answer.

Same goes for Live Oak and Vanguard. I won't give all the positives and negatives, but at the HS level it really depends on the kid and what they want/need out of academics and extracurriculars. Do they want a place they know they can play? Do they need a place they can play at a higher level? Do they need to be pushed academically? Do they need to be tended to in ways a private school can't? Are they so smart it just doesn't matter either way? On and on...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.