Akinjo & Sochan Doubtful Saturday Against OU

4,368 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
BUBradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was on a 3 person panel of basketball experts on CBS Sports and one said he talked to Drew today. Drew didn't know but the way he worded and sounded, it led me to believe it's doubtful. I also saw where Akinjo's malady is a lower back issue.

With OU coming of a tough loss against KU at home and Baylor coming off a big win on the road would also be a set up for a Baylor loss realistically and historically. I'll have my fingers crossed that we can pull off the magic again!
vanillabryce
BUBradleyI'll have my fingers crossed that we can pull off the magic again! [/quote said:

No 'Sooner Magic' on Saturday - only Mayer magic. The mullet thrives in that type of environment.
GruntTuff
No rush. Wait until they are fully healthy. I could care less if we lose 2 or 6 Big 12 games. The only one that matters is our last game of the season.
chorne68
GruntTuff said:

No rush. Wait until they are fully healthy. I could care less if we lose 2 or 6 Big 12 games. The only one that matters is our last game of the season.
I 100% agree. I felt bad when we lost two in a row but the games that matter are in March.
DanaDane
From what I understand, I'm not expecting either back for quite awhile. (meaning they likely won't be playing until the staff is convinced they are completely healed)
historian
Wise. Why risk aggravating things?

Besides, our guys proved they can do great things in the last game. We need another dose of the Mayer & Cryer show! It wouldn't hurt if Flagler had himself of a great day as well. We have the talent & we have depth, let's see once again what they can do for us.

Sic 'em Bears!
blueskymesa
The team has had a few weeks now to practice and play games without Akinjo and Sochan. We saw a better team against WVU without them, I think they will continue to get better and gel as time goes on. When Akinjo and Sochan return I think we'll have a better overall team.

On another note, the two loses at home being #1 would have devastated me pre-national championship years. While I was disappointed, I wasn't really "devastated" by the loses. We have proven that we can win it all and I think we will do it again and again. We are just on a different path this year and will be in years to come.
Method Man
blueskymesa said:

The team has had a few weeks now to practice and play games without Akinjo and Sochan. We saw a better team against WVU without them, I think they will continue to get better and gel as time goes on. When Akinjo and Sochan return I think we'll have a better overall team.

On another note, the two loses at home being #1 would have devastated me pre-national championship years. While I was disappointed, I wasn't really "devastated" by the loses. We have proven that we can win it all and I think we will do it again and again. We are just on a different path this year and will be in years to come.
As disappointing as the losses were.....I had us repeating as BIGXII Champs with a 14-4 conference record with losses to Tech, Okie St, Kansas, and one other random game.

This season is going about how I expected except that I thought the losses to Okie St and Tech would be on the road.

Better to get these losses out of way instead of in March/April.
Jacques Strap
Good opportunity for Bonner to step up and give us some good minutes on the road.
Married A Horn
I said it before and I'll say it again: this is a blessing in disguise. It is helping us realize we do have weaknesses. That we can't rest and sit back and read our press clippings. That we may be in an underdog position. And when those 2 get back to 100% - WATCH OUT!

Plus Bonner is getting a baptism by fire and has already shown improvements from that first deer-in-the-headlights game when Akinjo went out. This should help quite a bit come tournament time.

Blessing in disguise!
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Crawfoso1973
We are in big trouble come tournament time, if we are expecting big contributions from Bonner when said tournament arrives. No offense to him at all, but he is a year or 2 away (by design).
IowaBear
This, we really need a healthy Akinjo and Sochan sooner then later. I get the goal is to be 100% healthy come tournament time and rightfully so. But we are playing for seeding. Seeding is very important come March. Sustained winning is going to be awfully hard without them. We're vulnerable every game we play without them because we have 2 guys right now who just aren't scorers (Thamba, Bonner) and another Brown whose just struggling. Realistically right now we're playing with 4 guys who can score. That's why I said in the game thread those bonus points from Thamba and Bonner are so huge. Just a hunch but I think you'll see KB play out of his mind today
BUCANDOIT82
Would love to see KB play out of his mind. But health is far more important than seeding. If we are healthy we won't meet a team better than us in the Tournament no matter what our seed is.
Married A Horn
Crawfoso1973 said:

We are in big trouble come tournament time, if we are expecting big contributions from Bonner when said tournament arrives. No offense to him at all, but he is a year or 2 away (by design).

I'mnot saying he is going to be the MVP or even a major contributor. I am just saying he will be able to enter the game and give Akinjo more than a 1 possession rest.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
vanillabryce
Married A Horn said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

I'mnot saying he is going to be the MVP or even a major contributor. I am just saying he will be able to enter the game and give Akinjo more than a 1 posession rest.

Agree with you. We don't want him taking a bunch of shots. But against WV he had 4 assists, 3 boards, and only 1 TO in 25 minutes. I liked what he showed, and with extra minutes he's going to get more comfortable. He didn't look comfortable up to this point.
Louise Romano
This just makes me appreciate last years team so much more. You could not have scripted a better national championship team than last year. No explanation needed.

I said earlier for this year, for comparisons sake, that:
Flagler needed to = Butler
Cryer needed to = Mitchell
Mayer needed to = Teague
Thamba and JTT have no comparison, but keep improving.
...and nobody could ever replace Vital's unique style. A player like Vital is a once in a decade type guy.

If the guards can be consistently good and KB can find his game by getting more involved in the offense and picking up the scoring slack, we have a good chance to make at least an Elite 8 level. From there you just have to peak like last year when we really hit our stride after the Villanova game.
historian
Married A Horn said:

I said it before and I'll say it again: this is a blessing in disguise. It is helping us realize we do have weaknesses. That we can't rest and sit back and read our press clippings. That we may be in an underdog position. And when those 2 get back to 100% - WATCH OUT!

Plus Bonner is getting a baptism by fire and has already shown improvements from that first deer-in-the-headlights game when Akinjo went out. This should help quite a bit come tournament time.

Blessing in disguise!

I've been saying this for several days. And the rest of the analysis matches my thinking: having 2 major contributors out forces others to step up. We saw the "Mayer & Cryer show" in Morgantown & I hope we see more of that (although Iowa, I think, noted that' we cannot expect 45 points from the two regularly). Also, Bonner was forced to play more minutes & has done some good things. He's not going to be another Freddie Gillespie but he can contribute in a meaningful way, allowing the leaders to get more of a break & be better rested towards the end of a game. That will be good for the team.
BUBradley
Oklahoma's C.J. Noland (concussion) and Ethan Chargois (undisclosed) are both OUT for today's game against Baylor, per Porter Moser.

These are the Sooners' top two subs.

Noland averages 4.8 PPG.
Chargois averages 4.6 PPG.
OldDominionBear
Wouldn't surprise me if Sochan is out for another week. Probably be back for the Bama game.

Akinjo is worrying. I'm sure many of you have had lower back issues before and know how crippling it can be. I remember I had once had a flare up so bad I thought I was having kidney stones.
Idk how bad his is but they might've given him a cortisone shot and depending on when he got it it might not have kicked in yet.

Coach Drew, let's give Bonner more minutes AND play Loveday please. Thank you in advance.
Crawfoso1973
Loveday would only play if JTT and / or flo get injured. Please, no
WarBU
Are both out?
OldDominionBear
He's had a year in the system, with Sochan probably out, having him able to spell them for rest or god forbid foul trouble is good both now and in case we face adversity in the future.

If he isn't ready at even the smallest of what would be needed then Coach Drew should tell him his career would thrive elsewhere.
OldDominionBear
I think both are doubtful. Sochan being out until next Sat wouldn't surprise me. Lower back issues ****ing suck so who really knows with Akinjo. If they gave him cortisone and e-stim he could be back sooner rather than later; assuming it's a lumbar strain.
OldDominionBear
Here's the entire Big 12 injury report btw:

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/injury-report.php?conf=103
historian
Akinjo is playing, thankfully
Married A Horn
idk - he doesn't look 100% to me. i'd vote to sit him one more game at least. he isn't his all-American self yet.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
OldDominionBear
historian said:

Akinjo is playing, thankfully

He's definitely nowhere near 100%. That lower back is affecting his shots
historian
agreed

Might have been wiser to let him sit out another game. But he's there & I trust Drew & co. to manage things well
historian
FLAGLER!!
OldDominionBear
Flagler might be dependent on Akinjo in order to go off himself.

He's been horrid since Akinjo got hurt vs OKST.
historian
Maybe. Last year, maybe his success was off of Butler, Mitchell, and/or Teague.

But he's got ability. He needs to learn how to generate his own energy without depending on others.
OldDominionBear
Yeah, I don't want to say he plays passively cause he's a gunner but since he's an off ball player and shooter he does need a type A personality PG like Akinjo and the three horseman from last season.
historian
He'll be a better player when he learns how to play without that. And he's already very good.
OldDominionBear
With Keyonte coming in next year and Love healthy he might not have the chance to.

They need him bringing the ball up more instead of Mayer or KB to start learning that mindset
OldDominionBear
That DEEP 3 from the Akinjo drive basically shows he thrives off of type A guards creating spaces in the defense with their presence or driving ability
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.