Upcoming showings of "An Ode To Joy" in Round Rock and Irvine, CA

March 11, 2022

Austin Area - Central Baptist Church (Round Rock, Texas)

Friday, March 11
6:00 p.m. – Doors Open
7:00 p.m. – Premiere Begins

Los Angeles Area - Newport Church (Irvine, CA)

Saturday, March 19
5:00 p.m. – Doors Open
6:00 p.m. – Premiere Begins

AN ODE TO JOY, THE DEFINITIVE DOCUMENTARY OF THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF BAYLOR BASKETBALL

WACO, Texas — Some of the most iconic stories in sports are
 those of the underdog. This January, director Chris Charles Scott III and SicEm365.com, the leading Baylor sports, recruiting, and fan engagement site, invite sports fans from across the country to watch the greatest rebound in the history of basketball.

An Ode to Joy is the new three-part documentary from filmmaker Chris
 Charles Scott III. An Ode to Joy follows the Baylor University Men’s Basketball team
through eighteen years of the greatest rebuild in college sports—from the death of 
Patrick Dennehy at the hands of another player in 2003 through the 2021 NCAA 
National Championship.

“This story is more than rags to riches, more than the underdog, more than tragedy 
turned to joy,” said Scott, who directed Class Action Park, which debuted in the No. 1
spot on HBO Max in the summer of 2020. “I was at Baylor in the summer of 2003 and
 watched the tragedy of Dennehy’s murder play out. I remember when Scott Drew was 
hired to the seemingly impossible task of coaching what was left of Baylor Basketball.
To see that and then see this year’s championship was so unbelievable. As a 
documentarian, I knew this was a story that had to be told.”

SicEm365.com has built up a passionate fan community centered around Baylor sports,
and the site’s owners—Brian Ethridge, Colt Barber, and Ashley Hodge—wanted to
 commemorate the championship. By teaming up with fellow Baylor graduate Scott, the
project evolved into a chronicle of the journey of a lifetime.

“Day in and day out, SicEm365 brings together the most passionate and engaged
 Baylor fans around the nation and the world. We wanted to do something to preserve
the unreal feelings our community had during March Madness. By working with Chris,
 we were able to take that vision and turn it into a three-part documentary telling the
story of the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. Scott Drew and the rebuild of Baylor
 basketball—centered around the Jesus-Others-Yourself culture of JOY—is one of the
 greatest stories ever told, and we’re honored to be a part of it,” said Brian Ethridge, co-
owner of SicEm365.com.

Featuring more than twenty interviews with fans, journalists, players, and Coach Drew
 himself, An Ode to Joy weaves a tale of death and resurrection set on a national stage.

“The script was written,” Scott said. “We just needed to tell the story. Coach Drew wrote
 this incredible story himself with the vision he set when he came to Baylor and said in
 his first press conference that this was a David and Goliath situation, but he came to win
 championships. No one believed him at the time. But his unwavering commitment to his
vision of JOY and the culture of his program ensured Scott Drew achieved exactly what he set out to do. This story has staying power—if you are a sports fan of any kind, this is a can’t miss story for the ages. I believe it will be counted among other iconic sports stories like Rudy, The Blind Side, Remember the Titans and more.”

Discussion from...

Upcoming showings of "An Ode To Joy" in Round Rock and Irvine, CA

8,269 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm surprised the Round Rock showing is at a time to conflict with the Big 12 tournament.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

I'm surprised the Round Rock showing is at a time to conflict with the Big 12 tournament.
That is the date available.
Bear2014
i am so glad that Irvine is on the list! I cannot wait to see this!! Sic'em Orange County

also, can tickets be purchased onsite or do we need to purchase them via eventbrite?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bear2014 said:

i am so glad that Irvine is on the list! I cannot wait to see this!! Sic'em Orange County

also, can tickets be purchased onsite or do we need to purchase them via eventbrite?
Eventbrite link
historian
Looks like tomorrow night not as much of an issue
MashedPotatoes
Really enjoyed the showing in Round Rock last night. Loved the Tweety Carter interview. Curious about what he is up to these days.
historian
Wish I could have been there.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Brian Ethridge
Staff
MashedPotatoes said:

Really enjoyed the showing in Round Rock last night. Loved the Tweety Carter interview. Curious about what he is up to these days.

Living in Waco.

AustinHomeGirl
Attended the Round Rock showing, and am so glad I did. I learned a great deal and gained insight into what makes this program so special. The Waco events that led to CSD ending up at Baylor were not sugarcoated, and I felt the loss and sadness of that time all over again. However, by the end of the video it was pure JOY. Loved the bits of humor and inside stories sprinkled throughout. Just a blessing for everything Baylor that this is indeed OUR story. So appreciate those who had the vision and determination to bring Ode to reality. Encourage everyone to see it when you can.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
AustinHomeGirl said:

Attended the Round Rock showing, and am so glad I did. I learned a great deal and gained insight into what makes this program so special. The Waco events that led to CSD ending up at Baylor were not sugarcoated, and I felt the loss and sadness of that time all over again. However, by the end of the video it was pure JOY. Loved the bits of humor and inside stories sprinkled throughout. Just a blessing for everything Baylor that this is indeed OUR story. So appreciate those who had the vision and determination to bring Ode to reality. Encourage everyone to see it when you can.

Thank you for coming out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.