Scouting our path

1,845 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by parch
parch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given the Georgia State/Yale back-to-backers we obviously can't take anything for granted, but our first two games are a study in contrasts.

KenPom reeeeally does not like UCSB. One of the worst in the country (302nd) in adjusted tempo, bad defensive efficiency even by our standards (163rd), and amazingly they have played zero Quad 1 teams. Zero. And they've only played four Quad 2 teams. They have not been tested.

What always worries me is fast, long-armed perimeter length. UCSB does not have that. They run a (good) 3-guard set with a rangy wing who can fill from deep (Miles Norris) and a solid if somewhat cumbersome 6-9 post (Andre Kelly). Their entire rotation is an 8-man, and they run five guards through it. They have some talented slasher guards, but it's a pretty decent matchup for us. Of course our shooting has to show up, but at least on paper if we shoot our averages and play any perimeter defense at all, we will advance.

If they win, Creighton is probably the worst matchup we could've asked for from a 3/6 game. They're a 6-seed in name only - in quality they're probably more of a 3 of a 4. They have a lot of quick length and they're extremely fast on switches on the perimeter. If you watch their tape, pick-and-pop teams rarely get clean looks. Kalkbrenner is a nightmare matchup for Flo, who will probably flirt with foul trouble defensively and be atomized on the boards. Scheierman and Kaluma are board-crashers who can stick with ball-handlers deep. They'll probably stick Scheierman on whoever has the hot hand, and at 6-6 he'll stick with you and contest everything. The fact that his name is Baylor is an ironic twist.

They've also played a lot of heavy hitters and either beat them or were within a possession or two at the buzzer. They could've held their own in the Big 12 this year. Assuming we do what we're supposed to against UCSB, I have never been a bigger NC State fan in my life. That's a much, much better matchup for us, obviously. NC State would be a track meet backcourt battle, but I feel OK about that.

Beyond that, who knows. But I honestly don't see us getting past Creighton so long as they win game one. I think they're a dark horse pick to see Alabama in the Elite 8, and then roll the dice.
JP1037
I think we are better than Creighton... but just by a hair. Going to come down to making shots or not. That is most of our game... we hit jump shots we win. We don't we lose. Horribly risky formula.

Anyone know what time that game should be on Sunday? I don't see it posted. How are we supposed to make flight reservations with no announced times?

IowaBear
NC St has 2 stud guards and a really good big in a burns. Don't count them out against Creighton. If Burns can get Kalkbrenner in foul trouble they have a shot
Team America
Going further, Arizona is an even worse matchup. Ballo and Toubelis will be very tough to guard.
Griz
Deuce Ballo?
cleverbearname
I weirdly dont think opponent matters that much. We are in our own head and struggling to put together a complete game of basketball. If we play consistently at our highest level (which has been rare) there isn't a team that can stop us until weekend 2. We keep laying eggs for a half or full game, we are a streaky shooter or team away from going home early. Hoping rest, rather than playing good basketball, is what this team needed end of season before tournament.
parch
cleverbearname said:

I weirdly dont think opponent matters that much. We are in our own head and struggling to put together a complete game of basketball. If we play consistently at our highest level (which has been rare) there isn't a team that can stop us until weekend 2.
Matchup is a determinant of that, though. Creighton gives off major ISU vibes - nobody elite offensively but lots of varied, effective scoring threats, very long on the perimeter, icy defensively from 1-5, mondo big-game experience, with the added threat of a legit big man who can blow us up in the paint in the midst of a miserable run of rebounding.

All things being equal, yeah we have more talent, but it ain't equal. To beat a team like Creighton (or NC State/Arizona for that matter), we need to essentially hit a couple lotto numbers at once as a team so reliant on long range bombs - get a couple good bounces off the rim to help us with boards we're not strong enough to get ourselves, hit some low-percentage contested deep balls, not get Flo/JTT in foul trouble at the same time, and hope some of those mid-range bunnies are falling.

The 2021 team was like a Subaru rally car. Fast enough to win, extremely reliable, great in all conditions but even better taking corners in the mud than on pavement. This team is a Porsche coupe - if it can hit top speed you won't catch it, but you need a lot of extremely specific variables in place for that to happen. And the engine just kind of falls out the bottom of the chassis a few times a year.
Stefano DiMera
You don't get game times until all sessions done. That's how it's always been done for TV purposes..so you'll know Sundays game time at the end of the last game Friday which is the TCU game I believe.
Team America
Griz said:

Deuce Ballo?

Oumar Ballo
TXBEAR_bf
Wife went to Arizona so I watch them quite a bit, they would be a matchup nightmare for our team. They are pretty strong 1-5 and have capable back ups in the 4-5 spot. I am not sure what to think of the Creighton matchup. They are pretty solid across all positions, but I do wonder if Flo can mitigate their big guy. He is not overly athletic and doesn't scare me from an offensive stand point; however, he can certainly rebound better than Flo…not saying much there. Baylor for Creighton is really good and a solid scorer and passer, that said Jalen could stick on him and make life difficult.
You are usually going to play a tough opponent in the second round. We will hopefully get to see this team surprise us and play with a level of urgency we haven't seen in awhile. I bet other fan bases look at KG, Flag, and Lj and think "crap, there is a lot of guard talent there, plus a 3-4 that's just had 28 points"
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
TXBEAR_bf
Guy almost came to Baylor before he committed to Gonzaga.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
Crawfoso1973
Great analysis and thread, parch. And good insights from everyone else. I didn't know anything about these teams before opening this thread, so much appreciated.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Griz said:

Deuce Ballo?

I think he still has three years of eligibility left.
parch
parch said:

Of course our shooting has to show up, but at least on paper if we shoot our averages and play any perimeter defense at all, we will advance.

Editor's note: We did, and we did.

If they win, Creighton is probably the worst matchup we could've asked for from a 3/6 game.

Editor's note: We certainly hurt ourselves enough, but I don't think another 6 seed in the field would've done that to us. Creighton was just built to run us out of the gym. Horrible matchup.

They're a 6-seed in name only - in quality they're probably more of a 3 of a 4. They have a lot of quick length and they're extremely fast on switches on the perimeter. If you watch their tape, pick-and-pop teams rarely get clean looks.

Editor's note: 22.7% from 3. On switches we maybe got two or three clean looks from deep all game. Creighton defenders just beat us there, like we knew they would. And for a team that has to hit 3's to win, the gameplan was just set up to fail unless we hit a bunch of contested shots.

Kalkbrenner is a nightmare matchup for Flo, who will probably flirt with foul trouble defensively and be atomized on the boards. Scheierman and Kaluma are board-crashers who can stick with ball-handlers deep. They'll probably stick Scheierman on whoever has the hot hand, and at 6-6 he'll stick with you and contest everything. The fact that his name is Baylor is an ironic twist.

Editor's note: Flo picked up three fast fouls as anticipated before ceding much of the second half to JTT/Oji/Lohner, and Kalkbrenner went a modest if notable 10/7. Kaluma/Scheiermann pulled 7 and 6 and we were predictably blown off the ball on the boards. We were allergic to the paint. Again, terrible matchup.

They've also played a lot of heavy hitters and either beat them or were within a possession or two at the buzzer. They could've held their own in the Big 12 this year. Assuming we do what we're supposed to against UCSB, I have never been a bigger NC State fan in my life. That's a much, much better matchup for us, obviously. NC State would be a track meet backcourt battle, but I feel OK about that.

Beyond that, who knows. But I honestly don't see us getting past Creighton so long as they win game one. I think they're a dark horse pick to see Alabama in the Elite 8, and then roll the dice.

Editor's note: I was dumb and did my usual "pick Baylor to win it all" bit just because, but I do think Creighton has Final 4 potential. Bama is the best team in the field but this Creighton team is defensively built to win tournaments. I was bummed after this one but perhaps not as much as past losses because it was so blindingly obvious Creighton deserved to advance and we were never really in it tactically or strategically. Unfortunately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.