What would be a successful run for BU in this year's tourney?

2,969 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Robert Wilson
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just curious what you all think would be considered a successful result for this Baylor team in the tourney this year?

After losing the first 3 games at the start of conference play it was beginning to look like it might be a disappointing season. Then we got on that really nice run, Tchamwa returned, Bridges came to life, and things were definitely looking up. Then the back-to-back losses to ISU brought up some new concerns.

This is a year that seems more wide open than most where it seems 10 or more teams may have a legitimate shot at the natty.

I think BU falls somewhere in the range of being a top 8 to 16 team. So I would think our floor would by reaching the Sweet 16 and our ceiling may be the Elite 8.

Tl;dr

For me:

Disappointing = BU loses in first or second round
Satisfied = BU makes Sweet 16
Great Season = BU makes Elite 8
Wow = BU makes FF or beyond
IowaBear
S16, I've said for months now a S16 is gravy. Anything further is fantastic. However, with Zona losing the bottom side has really opened up. Need to capitalize on this. 1 game at a time
Johnny Bear
If we can just get to the Sweet 16, it gets interesting. Will get even more interesting if Alabama somehow stumbles between now and the Elite 8. Doubtful - but then again the inexplicable obviously sometimes happens in the Tournament.
BUCANDOIT82
With Arizona out at least the Elite Eight. To be a really successful season we need to return to The Final Four.

Bear8084
Sweet 16, anything after is great.
boognish_bear
Well....we checked the first box. Onward and upward hopefully.
boognish_bear
This thing looking more and more wide open....
Robert Wilson
S16 is a quality quality season

Anything beyond is gravy
bear2be2
Any season that ends in the Sweet 16 or beyond is a successful season IMO. So I agree with pretty much everyone else here.

Make it to the second weekend, and I'll be thrilled.
fredbear
Elite 8 needed to reach potential. We were often ranked in top 10. Anything less would be disappointing.
Quicksilver
Sweet 16 just means we beat teams seeded below us. Getting to the Elite 8 would be what my expectation is, esp since we've been a top 10 team most of the year. Final Four is a great season, and puts us in the elite program category.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
It depends. Losing to the eventual champion is better than losing to a round 8 team loser. Making the tournament is still an achievement in my eyes.
Oldbear83
Way too many people picking Creighton to beat Baylor.

So I really want Baylor to beat Creighton.

As long as we are the higher seed, I want us to win. Convincingly.

Shut up idiots like Seth at CBS, for one thing ...
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Calrocks94
Well, just got to take care of business tomorrow but the road to the final four got a whole lot easier for us
EvilTroyAndAbed
Oldbear83 said:

Don't take it personally. If you saw a team that had gone 3-4 over their last seven games and blown 2nd half leads in those losses, you might not be inclined to pick them either. We're good enough to win, but we often play bad enough to lose.
DanaDane
I think we've realistically entered the conversation of "major" programs with how we've performed for an extended period of time (over a decade). In my mind there about 10-15 of them. And I think all of them would define a successful season was definitely met with a Sweet 16 appearance. Anything beyond that is gravy. Maybe UK, Duke or KU would say higher, but they would be the only 3.

But, I also hear what you're saying Limited IQ -- you can't take making the tournament for granted. That is certainly an achievement, not a right.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

It depends. Losing to the eventual champion is better than losing to a round 8 team loser. Making the tournament is still an achievement in my eyes.

Yep. Virginia is a recent national champion, and their other years are out in round one three times and missing the tourney the other. Nothing is guaranteed (Outside of the Anthony Davis Kentucky team).
Oldbear83
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Oldbear83 said:

Don't take it personally. If you saw a team that had gone 3-4 over their last seven games and blown 2nd half leads in those losses, you might not be inclined to pick them either. We're good enough to win, but we often play bad enough to lose.
Baylor is two years removed from a Natty and is a 3 seed, Yeah. the guys should take it personally that media hacks like Greenberg Davis pick against them the first week.

I respect Creighton but hope we win by 20+.

* correction CBS not ESPN
IowaBear
You actually believe that the players give a crap who Greenberg picks ? Good grief that's a moronic take
Oldbear83
IowaBear said:

You actually believe that the players give a crap who Greenberg picks ? Good grief that's a moronic take
Interesting choice of words from a guy who is known for quitting on the team mid-game.

DanaDane
Not trying to nitpick but are we talking about Seth DAVIS of CBS or Seth GREENBERG of ESPN? Davis picked us to get beat by UCSB but I thought Greenberg had us in the Elite 8 vs. Bama? Maybe I'm the one confused though.
IowaBear
Ahhh defer defer defer… your take is still idiotic. Only you would get your diapers in a wad when a sports anchor picks against the Bears
Oldbear83
IowaBear said:

Ahhh defer defer defer… your take is still idiotic. Only you would get your diapers in a wad when a sports anchor picks against the Bears
No, very much on point.

And you're silly if you imagine the team doesn't follow what is said about them in the media.

But Re: Diapers, you may want to consider that just because you still wear them, does not mean the rest of us do.

Go back to Iowa, you and your wads and whining.
Oldbear83
DanaDane said:

Not trying to nitpick but are we talking about Seth DAVIS of CBS or Seth GREENBERG of ESPN? Davis picked us to get beat by UCSB but I thought Greenberg had us in the Elite 8 vs. Bama? Maybe I'm the one confused though.
Thanks Dana, corrected
bear2be2
Quicksilver said:

Sweet 16 just means we beat teams seeded below us. Getting to the Elite 8 would be what my expectation is, esp since we've been a top 10 team most of the year. Final Four is a great season, and puts us in the elite program category.
We've been ranked in the top 10 in the AP poll. That doesn't mean we've been a top-10 team. KenPom has had us in the 15 range most of the year. Our defense is legitimately bad and has been all year.
historian
Yes. We list several games that we should have won, whatever that means.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
DanaDane said:

I think we've realistically entered the conversation of "major" programs with how we've performed for an extended period of time (over a decade). In my mind there about 10-15 of them. And I think all of them would define a successful season was definitely met with a Sweet 16 appearance. Anything beyond that is gravy. Maybe UK, Duke or KU would say higher, but they would be the only 3.

But, I also hear what you're saying Limited IQ -- you can't take making the tournament for granted. That is certainly an achievement, not a right.

Those are interesting examples considering last year Kentucky & Duke didn't even make the tournament & this year neither Kansas nor Duke will reach the second weekend.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

The NCAA tournament is an achievement, but it's the baseline achievement for a good program.

It's OK to view that as the expectation. All good programs do.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Oldbear83 said:

Baylor is two years removed from a Natty and is a 3 seed, Yeah. the guys should take it personally that media hacks like Greenberg Davis pick against them the first week.

I respect Creighton but hope we win by 20+.

* correction CBS not ESPN
Nonsense. Elite programs and coaches lose in the first round every year. Every bracket is going to have a few upset picks.

Only goofuses get upset when a media personality picks their team to be one of those upset.
LupinBandit
Successful would be only losing to a 1 or 2 seeded team, if at all. At this point that means EE or better.
Quinton
I can't ignore the draw right in front of us. Elite eight I would say based on how this is setting up.
BUAL
Tomorrow is going to be very challenging. I don't care about anything other tomorrow. We have the ability to bomb them out of the gym AND the ability to make Creighton look like Marquette.
Quinton
Agree, Creighton is very good and they don't beat themselves. So many teams I've seen today either can't execute or just cannot shoot. Creighton can do both, will be tough
bear2be2
Quinton said:

Agree, Creighton is very good and they don't beat themselves. So many teams I've seen today either can't execute or just cannot shoot. Creighton can do both, will be tough
Creighton was only 3-9 in Quad 1 games this year, but most of those losses were pretty close.

We've played and beaten several teams that were better. If we bring our 'A' game, I like our chances. If we don't, we're going to have trouble.
IowaBear
You have to take that in context. I'd assume several of those losses were without Kalkbrenner. They're a much much better team with him than without. They lost like 5 in a row without him
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.