10 Most Watched College Basketball Games Ever

3,046 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Smashmouth
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Fre3dombear
America has moved on

Still fun to watch though for us die hards

Larry Bird

Legend
historian
There's a big difference when there are only 3-4 channels to watch compared to cable TV with dozens of channels in the 1990s and hundreds in the 21st century. It's no accident all 10 are 20th century and only 3 post-1990.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Bexar Pitts
historian said:

There's a big difference when there are only 3-4 channels to watch compared to cable TV with dozens of channels in the 1990s and hundreds in the 21st century. It's no accident all 10 are 20th century and only 3 post-1990.
I agree, historian. The 3 big networks all declined to broadcast what has been called " The game of the century" on Jan. 20th, 1968..Held in the Astrodome in a prime time Sat night slot, Elvin Hayes and the Houston Cougars beat Lew Alcindor's (Kareem) 47-0 UCLA squad 71-69..Dick Einhorn's TVS network, primarily a West coast sports network, signed up over 100 stations across the country and televised it nationally..Even though it was a regular season game,the interest/viewership got the attention of the Major networks, and the next year NBC coughed up the bucks to nationally televise the Championship. It's been said this game in the Astrodome set "March Madness" in motion, and look what we have today!
historian
Thanks for the history lesson!!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUBBFAN
I watched that game. What fun.
BUBBFAN
I watched it also. Great game to watch. Elvin Hayes was special.
BUBBFAN
Bexar Pitts said:

historian said:

I agree, historian. The 3 big networks all declined to broadcast what has been called " The game of the century" on Jan. 20th, 1968..Held in the Astrodome in a prime time Sat night slot, Elvin Hayes and the Houston Cougars beat Lew Alcindor's (Kareem) 47-0 UCLA squad 71-69..Dick Einhorn's TVS network, primarily a West coast sports network, signed up over 100 stations across the country and televised it nationally..Even though it was a regular season game,the interest/viewership got the attention of the Major networks, and the next year NBC coughed up the bucks to nationally televise the Championship. It's been said this game in the Astrodome set "March Madness" in motion, and look what we have today!

Watched that game and it was great.
Married A Horn
Magic vs Bird ftw
Mitch Blood Green
Fre3dombear said:

America has moved on

Still fun to watch though for us die hards

Larry Bird

Legend

I watched at least 6 of the 10. 3 were before my family had cable. 1979 was after DePaul lost and our family was invested.
Smashmouth
I think our 2021 against undefeated Gonzaga would have been Top 10 if not for the fact our game with them in December was cancelled because of the Scamdemic and then all the games were played in Indianapolis for the Tournament
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.