NCAA Tournament games -3-19 thread

3,335 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jack Bauer
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sadly injuries ended our season early last year. If not for that, it's a much different tone on the body of workmen the last 5+ years
Quinton
Which is why Ku has so much success. They have the best balance and blend of both. Uk, Unc, Duke (lesser extent) on one side and Tech (w Beard), Uh on other extreme.

KU, Villanova, Bu, Gonzaga all close to the sweet spot. Villanova and Ku a little tougher with Bu and Gonzaga a little more finesse in my view. Portal obviously changes this dynamic but how I see it.
Quinton
Agree that's fair. Think they repeat with a healthy team last year. Was weak top end just like this year
bear2be2
Quinton said:

Miami is a team that plays no defense like us but they are aggressive and attack on offense. Deeply flawed team but like the intensity on one side of the ball
Assuming they hold on tonight, they're the most surprising team in the Sweet 16 IMO. That team has serious flaws.

They should have lost to Drake. Drake choked hard in the final minutes of that game.
IowaBear
Had Miami in the E8 in my bracket. Guards win in March and they have sone damm good ones! They also got an elite big who can defend multiple positions in Omier.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Had Miami in the E8 in my bracket. Guards win in March and they have sone damm good ones! They also got an elite big who can defend multiple positions in Omier.
I had them losing to Drake in the opener, and they should have.

But Jim Larranaga is one hell of a coach.
Quinton
They are. But they have some of the best combination of shot makers in the field. So extremely volatile but dangerous.

I like they don't really pretend to play D they just go out there and start looking for shots. Always looking to put pressure on the defense.

Hou is a terrible matchup for them but as I say that they probably go scorched earth on offense next game. They don't defend at all so huge contrast in styles
IowaBear
Kent St over Indiana was my big upset in that region, whiffed on that one
Quinton
Hope they do it for you. Hou is a tough matchup for them. If they get hot though they can do damage. Two most important things to me, they have size at guard and they are great shot makers. They can all create and they all shoot mid 40s and above.

If they played any defense they would be one of the favorites. Uh v Miami is a huge contrast of styles. Will be interesting to watch
Quinton
I don't know as much about the big. Sampson plays a style of ball I don't love but the big better be ready to bang and get hacked every possession. If he can hit the glass and rim protect they have a chance. They are much longer at guard so that could help
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Kent St over Indiana was my big upset in that region, whiffed on that one
Kent State played well, I thought. They just had no answer for Trayce Jackson-Davis.
bear2be2
I thought TCU-Gonzaga would be a hell of a game, and it has absolutely delivered.
DanaDane
People can despise Timme because of his showboating or other issues, but the kid is just a damn good college basketball player. I don't care whether or not he can play in the NBA. That has nothing to do with what he delivers from a college basketball standpoint. He's really good.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

People can despise Timme because of his showboating or other issues, but the kid is just a damn good college basketball player. I don't care whether or not he can play in the NBA. That has nothing to do with what he delivers from a college basketball standpoint. He's really good.
Agreed. I've never understood the Drew Timme hate here.
bear2be2
bear2be2 said:

I thought TCU-Gonzaga would be a hell of a game, and it has absolutely delivered.
I may have spoke too soon. The Frogs are melting down.
bear2be2
Good timeout for TCU. The Frogs are right back in it.
DanaDane
Year in and out, people keep throwing stones at Gonzaga.

Yet, here we are again: Zags in the Sweet 16.

8 Straight Sweet 16's.

Stop and think about that. That ain't luck.
bear2be2
What was the spread on this TCU-Gonzaga game. And did that final 3 have any impact on it? Talk about a bad beat if it did.
whitetrash
bear2be2 said:

What was the spread on this TCU-Gonzaga game. And did that final 3 have any impact on it? Talk about a bad beat if it did.

Zag -4.5

That one cost a lot of $$$$
Quinton
Too much offensive skill for Tcu. Gonzaga v Ucla is a crazy matchup. The west region is stacked with winner playing UConn or Ark
DanaDane
Not sure where it closed but Gonzaga opened 4.5. If it stayed there, that 3 point shot at the buzzer just cost some people bucks!
bear2be2
Oh my gosh, the spread was Gonzaga -4.5. That last second 3 trimmed the deficit to three.

There are going to be some pissed off bettors tonight.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Not sure where it closed but Gonzaga opened 4.5. If it stayed there, that 3 point shot at the buzzer just cost some people bucks!
This is why you don't bet on sports. Hahahaha.
Quinton
A lot of that would have disappeared if they didn't get so unlucky in 21'. Literally an ATG level team and their best ever had to face another ATG team in the final.

I maintain they win the title most other years. They destroy the field in 22' or this year with ease. Just bad timing. Ku and whoever wins this year will have great timing. That's the breaks unfortunately
bear2be2
Quinton said:

A lot of that would have disappeared if they didn't get so unlucky in 21'. Literally an ATG level team and their best ever had to face another ATG team in the final.

I maintain they win the title most other years. They destroy the field in 22' or this year with ease. Just bad timing. Ku and whoever wins this year will have great timing. That's the breaks unfortunately
Yep, that was their national championship team, and they would have won it most other years in the last 25. Unfortunately for them, they ran into another historically good team in 2021.
historian
"They ran into a buzz saw."
Rafferty after 2021 national championship game
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

I find it curious that K Stars has 5 fouls compare to zero for Kentucky.
Because Big12 teams play way to physical compared to other teams and the non-conference refs.
Jack Bauer
boognish_bear
Jack Bauer said:

That's really strange that the opposing fans weren't cheering him on
historian
Timme is talking about bulletin board material provided by Frog fans. It happens all the time & can really backfire if it motivates the other team. Frog haters are probably not surprised.

I remember after we won the natty, Mark Vital talking about how the team got word that the Zags had a case of champagne to celebrate before the game even started. That gave them additional motivation and the rest, as they say, is history. It doesn't even matter if the rumor was true.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Jack Bauer
I don't understand why opponents are "surprised" the other team's fans boards are talking smack. Sounds like fake outrage or motivation.

Did he expect TCU fans to praise Gonzaga?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.