Story Poster
Photo by Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #10 Baylor (9-1) vs #21 Duke (7-3)

December 18, 2023

#10 Baylor (9-1) plays #21 Duke (7-3) December 20th at 6pm CST in New York City at Madison Square Garden.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom Prediction:  Duke 81 Baylor 80

Torvik Prediction:  Duke 79 Baylor 78

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 77 Duke 76

Haslametrics:  Duke 81 Baylor 78

Coaches

Duke:  Jon Scheyer (36) 34-12; NCAA

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 451-244 overall (431-233 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  0-0

Duke Starters

Guard:  Jeremy Roach (SR) 6-2 180 lbs; 15 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 51% FG; 50% 3pt; 74% FT

Guard:  Jared McClain (FR) 6-3 200 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 42% FG; 44% 3pt; 83% FT

Guard:  Caleb Foster (FR) 6-5 200 lbs; 9 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 50% FG; 39% 3pt; 52% FT

Forward:  Mark Mitchell (SO) 6-9 230 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 45% FG; 70% FT

Forward:  Kyle Filipowski (SO) 7-0 250 lbs; 18 ppg; 9 reb; 3 asst; 51% FG; 32% 3pt; 74% FT

Duke Bench

Guard:  Jaylen Blakes (JR) 6-2 205 lbs; 3 ppg; 55% FG; 40% 3pt; 100% FT

Forward:  TJ Power (FR) 6-9 215 lbs; 3 ppg;  46% FG; 50% 3pt; 100% FT

*Guard:  Tyrese Proctor (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 5 asst; 44% FG; 32% 3pt; 87% FT

*high ankle sprain 12/2 vs Georgia Tech, status for game unknown

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst; 54% FG; 43% 3pt; 81% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 46% FG; 44% 3pt; 74% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 41% FG; 37% 3pt; 89% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 4 reb; 48% FG; 44% 3pt; 87% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 64% FG; 49% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 2 reb; 46% FG; 41% 3pt; 83% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 4 ppg; 3 reb; 58% FG; 50% 3pt; 67% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 reb; 82% FG; 53% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #10 Baylor (9-1) vs #21 Duke (7-3)

23,032 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Quinton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doesn't make much sense to me. That would be conceding the defensive coaching just isn't there.

Not overly complicated to put together a competent man defense. There are numerous guys at high D1 right now that could build a top 35 defense even with our current pieces.

It's just so strange to me. Again still think this team will be decent but extremely disappointing performances
Johnny Bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Johnny Bear said:

Failed both tests against MSU and Duke.

I guess season over then. Pack it in you *******.

The issue is you people will compare every team we have to one of the greatest teams in recent college basketball history, a team who played with each other for two years.

But this group of players is a bunch of failures because of the past two games. Merry ****ing Christmas, you miserable lot.

Lighten up Francis.

Where did I say the season is over?? Where did I compare this team to our Natty team?? I just stated the fact that we failed the MSU and Duke tests, which is disappointing.

Your classless overreactions and name calling gets really old. Why don't you go post over at Orangebloods where profanity is the norm. You'd fit right in.
Just a Bear in Frog World
Stinks to lose. No one likes losing high profile games.

MSU and Duke bodied us up on D in the lane, put us in the pick and roll on offense and worked us.

Good teams grow and learn how to adjust when they get exposed. That why you schedule these games. Learn how to play road games. This team has yet to gel and gain their identity - too much hesitation on offense. Need to be decisive and commit.

Missi and Walter will get better on both ends of the floor - still making some freshman mistakes. Swatting/ not sending the guy the right way off the pick/ overplaying.

Definitely have a higher defensive ceiling than last year. Give them some time, don't give up, but clear blueprint of things that have to change and improve.
DanaDane
Not sure what he's gonna do, but he'll have to do something. Most of the guards in this conference are fast off the dribble and we don't have a guard who can stay in front of anyone. Really disappointed in particular with one who was billed as a defensive stopper. Plus, no one other than Missi (maybe Bridges) fast enough to rotate over for help.

Izzo's post game comments about how slow footed we are is becoming more and more clear. A lot of pieces to work with so I'm sure Drew and staff are probably working on a gameplan now of what to do.
boognish_bear
It felt like in the last 6 or 7 minutes each player was looking for someone else to take control on offense
boognish_bear
rypry
Uh, you ok?
boognish_bear
#5 UConn and #10 BU go down tonight.

Still early but #7 OU down 12 to UNC. Could be a rough night for Top 10.

#4 Arizona plays Bama later tonight
Quinton
I agree big change needed, it just makes no sense. Nunn and Walter could easily be molded into solid defenders. I'm curious about our defensive drills and instruction.
DanaDane
That's an interesting question. I'm guessing that's where Drew and the staff will place the most focus over the next couple of weeks. As disjointed as the O has looked at times the past couple of games, it's still good enough to win a lot of conference games. Improvement in D is where we steal a few games, at least in my mind.
rileyroo
I was disappointed in our finish tonight, but the season is far from over. Drew schedules tough games to get us ready for conference. It also strengthens our SOS.

Moving forward:

Improvements needed:

1. We need to cut down on turnovers.
2. Our PG's need to slow down.
3. Jakobe needs to quit trying to impress BU scouts
4. Our on ball defense has to get better.
5. Quit looking at the names on the jerseys. We wilted to the blue bloods.
6. We need one more reliable big. JTT is not the same and Josh O just is not there yet.

Positives:

1. I saw much more fight in the team tonight.
2. We were toe to toe with Duke until the end.
3. We did a good job defending their 7' player
4. Missi was strong for a freshman
5. We are starting two freshman and competing against the best teams in the country.

We will grow and get better. These losses will not hurt us come tourney time. The biggest issue I had is how we folded at the end. Need to show a lot more toughness.
boognish_bear
OU loses.

So #5, #7, and #10 lost tonight. #4 Arizona currently trailing Bama.

#12 Creighton also lost tonight.
boognish_bear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Quinton said:

Struggling very badly. Has good athleticism but struggling with footwork, instinct, over pursuit, and overthinking screen coverage.
I agree with your statement. It may be impossible to coach up athleticism but good coaching can improve footwork, overthinking, over pursuit etc.

Lots of Henny Pennies ready to throw in the towel before conference even starts. All the negative vibes are irritating.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.