Court Storming

2,366 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by GoodOleBaylorLine
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already after this weekend. All the talk seems to be on court storming after Duke's loss and the injury to a player. This could have been a major impact on their tournament if it had been a serious injury. This is twice this season we have seen a player get knocked down while fans rushed the court. All the talking heads and coaches are talking about how it needs to be banned and end.

My question is how do you do that?

Just like with football the fans will not care about a fine to the school and will still do it.

A suspension for the coach is unfair when he/she has no control over it. Same for a post season ban for the team. It punishes the wrong people. And in some cases the team making the upset may not even make the tournament. NIT maybe. but a ban only hurts the players and won't stop some fans.

Making it a crime/fine for the fans only works if you can have enough security and police to stop several hundred fans (or thousands like in football).

Barriers don't seem like they would work because it would cause major redesigns to basketball arenas or mean a fence at courtside/behind the benches and as European or South American Soccer has shown even that doesn't work at times if everyone decides to knock it down or climb it.

So how does the joke of the NCAA put an end to this?
BearlyBeloved
Simple.

Just put a fence around the court.

We might even get Mexico to pay for it.
Stefano DiMera
Get rid of handshake line ..we saw what happened there in the A&M Commerce brawl.

Teams leave court immediately.

Then fans storm court once teams leaves

Problem solved.
IowaBear
It was discussed on ESPN. Can't remember by who. But they suggested allowing it after all officials, coaches, players of opposing team are off the court safely.
EatMoreSalmon
Court Storm Troopers
LIB,MR BEARS
I'm guessing court storming is 90% students.

Penalize the students that can be identified.

Option 2 would be snipers
TWD 1974
cowboycwr said:

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already after this weekend. All the talk seems to be on court storming after Duke's loss and the injury to a player. This could have been a major impact on their tournament if it had been a serious injury. This is twice this season we have seen a player get knocked down while fans rushed the court. All the talking heads and coaches are talking about how it needs to be banned and end.

Just like with football the fans will not care about a fine to the school and will still do it.

A suspension for the coach is unfair when he/she has no control over it. Same for a post season ban for the team. It punishes the wrong people. And in some cases the team making the upset may not even make the tournament. NIT maybe. but a ban only hurts the players and won't stop some fans.

Making it a crime/fine for the fans only works if you can have enough security and police to stop several hundred fans (or thousands like in football).

Barriers don't seem like they would work because it would cause major redesigns to basketball arenas or mean a fence at courtside/behind the benches and as European or South American Soccer has shown even that doesn't work at times if everyone decides to knock it down or climb it.

Back a few decades, there was a problem with fans throwing stuff on the court. Fans figured out pretty quickly that giving the other side foul shots and a possible forfeiture if the incidents continued, pretty much ended the problem. If you rush on the court and make any physical contact with opposing players or coaches, home team may be subjected to a forfeiture.
T-REX
If a team doesn't want the fans to storm on them, don't lose
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Hotsauce
If you want to:

BAN court storming - the punishment should be to ban the student section from the next home game. Logistically, I think it would work as far ticket distribution goes, and it's a good deterrent.

or

INCREASE SAFETY - creating human chains of security/stadium personnel seems to be the most effective and practical method. You won't completely stop huge swaths of students from pouring onto the court, and you can't politely walk up to them and say "Hey students, would you mind waiting just a little bit while the other team gets off the court, kthx!". But you can funnel them away from opposing players and staff which, in turn, can also slow them down enough to where players can get off the court.
Chamberman
T-REX said:

If a team doesn't want the fans to storm on them, don't lose
Not very often does the visiting team's fans storm the court.
ImABearToo
My wife and I were part of the field storming a few years at McLayne after beating OU. We were very careful not to injure any of our 350 lb linemen.
Robert Wilson
Stefano DiMera said:

Get rid of handshake line ..we saw what happened there in the A&M Commerce brawl.

Problem solved.
Eh, the handshake line is important. Encourages respect for the opponent and humanizes your opponent at the end of the game.

Recent brawl is the exception that proves the rule. All who participated should get a nice, long suspension.
Chamberman
ImABearToo said:

at McLayne
It's on the side of the stadium. SMH

cowboycwr
IowaBear said:

It was discussed on ESPN. Can't remember by who. But they suggested allowing it after all officials, coaches, players of opposing team are off the court safely.
Good idea but as we have seen in football or basketball there has to be a solution that can create a way to give them this time to clear off, especially when even after an upset opposing players often talk with players they know on the other team. In both football and basketball.
cowboycwr
TWD 1974 said:

cowboycwr said:

Back a few decades, there was a problem with fans throwing stuff on the court. Fans figured out pretty quickly that giving the other side foul shots and a possible forfeiture if the incidents continued, pretty much ended the problem. If you rush on the court and make any physical contact with opposing players or coaches, home team may be subjected to a forfeiture.
Good connection.

It is unfair to the team and at least with throwing items it was an immediate penalty that would not punish players/coaches long term.

This might be the only route to get it to end. Some sort of penalty to the team like forfeiting the game or a post season ban. Fans would probably learn really quickly if their actions cause their team to not be able to participate in the conference tournament or march madness.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Problem solved.
Eh, the handshake line is important. Encourages respect for the opponent and humanizes your opponent at the end of the game.

Recent brawl is the exception that proves the rule. All who participated should get a nice, long suspension.
100 percent. I see it suggested all the time that we should do away with the handshake line, and I always think it's silly. If we want to do away with something, do away with players and coaches who are incapable of controlling their emotions for the two minutes it takes to complete a simple and time-honored ritual of respect for the game their playing, their opponent and their teammates.

If youth and high school players, whose brains aren't even fully developed yet, can be expected to go through a handshake line without acting a fool, I think it's fair to ask the same of adult players and coaches who are being compensated very well to represent their universities in a positive/non-embarrassing light.
bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

IowaBear said:

Good idea but as we have seen in football or basketball there has to be a solution that can create a way to give them this time to clear off, especially when even after an upset opposing players often talk with players they know on the other team. In both football and basketball.
Hire enough security to hold the students off the floor in a game's immediate aftermath and guide them with a rope (a la the Baylor line) to a designated rushing spot. You can tell long before a game is over that a court-storming might be coming. Send all the security to the floor in the game's final minutes and rope off the court.

Like anything else, this just requires planning and manpower. Stay ready so you never have to get ready.
Jorkel
Plexiglass around the court like Hockey. Any fans storming the court is subject to Security, batons, pepper spray, and tasers. Let the madness begin. Would be great second entertainment to watch post game.
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

IowaBear said:

Hire enough security to hold the students off the floor in a game's immediate aftermath and guide them with a rope (a la the Baylor line) to a designated rushing spot. You can tell long before a game is over that a court-storming might be coming. Send all the security to the floor in the game's final minutes and rope off the court.

Like anything else, this just requires planning and manpower. Stay ready so you never have to get ready.
This sounds good but I see several problems.

1. Cost- it would be extremely expensive as that many security people would mean well over 100. Especially when you think about events that have happened where it often takes 2, 3 or even 4 security or police to control one person.

2. This of course would increase ticket prices for schools. which then could hurt attendance, etc.

3. A rope is not going to stop a college kid. Step over it or under. Just like they do hedges, the walls at football stadiums, etc. It holds the Baylor line back because it is a signal not to go any further and no one is trying to go further at that moment.

4. sending them to the floor is not possible at 99.9% of venues. The court side seats are a few inches to feet away from the court. Now if you have security personnel standing there they are in the way of the fans who paid big bucks for courtside for the deciding part of the game.

5. now they have to unroll the rope but make sure to do so in those few inches or feet without getting in the way of players trying to run after a lose ball or just cutting close to the sideline/baseline.

6. the baseline is often full of cheerleaders, reporters/photographers.

7. even if you had enough security to form a human chain around the court once it is broken in one spot it is like a flood that cannot be stopped.

I just don't think it would be possible due to the above.
bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

IowaBear said:

1. Cost- it would be extremely expensive as that many security people would mean well over 100. Especially when you think about events that have happened where it often takes 2, 3 or even 4 security or police to control one person.

2. This of course would increase ticket prices for schools. which then could hurt attendance, etc.

3. A rope is not going to stop a college kid. Step over it or under. Just like they do hedges, the walls at football stadiums, etc. It holds the Baylor line back because it is a signal not to go any further and no one is trying to go further at that moment.

4. sending them to the floor is not possible at 99.9% of venues. The court side seats are a few inches to feet away from the court. Now if you have security personnel standing there they are in the way of the fans who paid big bucks for courtside for the deciding part of the game.

5. now they have to unroll the rope but make sure to do so in those few inches or feet without getting in the way of players trying to run after a lose ball or just cutting close to the sideline/baseline.

7. even if you had enough security to form a human chain around the court once it is broken in one spot it is like a flood that cannot be stopped.

There's only one section you have to hold off in a court storming -- the students. You don't need a perimeter because adults courtside aren't going to rush the floor. Get security where you need it and create a protocol. Those who violate it get punished -- either academically or legally.

There's a way to keep court storming without endangering players, coaches and officials.
historian

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
Just a couple weeks ago (I think) one school prepared in advance. I think it was the TangCats in Manhattan. As soon as the game ended, security moved out onto the court with rope barriers to control crowds & allow the visiting team safe egress. On top of that Tang himself went into the student section to celebrate with them. They pulled it off without a hitch. I see no reason something similar could not be replicated everywhere.

Ironically, I don't remember ever seeing Baylor students storming the court even after a big win (Kansas, Texas, Nova, WBB v UConn, etc). Maybe it has happened but I don't recall and I've watched a lot of games including personally attending the examples above from 2018 on.
bear2be2
historian said:

Just a couple weeks ago (I think) one school prepared in advance. I think it was the TangCats in Manhattan. As soon as the game ended, security moved out onto the court with rope barriers to control crowds & allow the visiting team safe egress. On top of that Tang himself went into the student section to celebrate with them. They pulled it off without a hitch. I see no reason something similar could not be replicated everywhere.

Ironically, I don't remember ever seeing Baylor students storming the court even after a big win (Kansas, Texas, Nova, WBB v UConn, etc). Maybe it has happened but I don't recall and I've watched a lot of games including personally attending the examples above from 2018 on.
Our program has reached a point where we're either a favorite or narrow dog in every game, so we'll never have a court-storming worthy upset.
historian
I wasn't talking about this year but to the past few years when we had several such games:

MBB beat Kansas 80-64 in 2018 (after multiple losses)
WBB beat #1 UConn in 2019
MBB beat #6 Villanova in 2021
MBB beat #5 Kansas in 2022
MBB beat #9 Kansas in 2023
MBB beat #8 Texas in 2023

I did not include the natty COVID year with decreased crowds.

In any of these games storming the court would have been justified, arguably. But Baylor students did not. I attended each of them except the last one & I would gave remembered it. I remember some football games that ended with fans storming McLane (TCU 2014, K State 2014, OU 2021) so it's not a Baylor thing. Maybe it's a Baylor basketball thing.

In 2021 at the natty watch party at McLane Stadium, those students not on the field watching the broadcast on the big screen stormed the field after MBB won the natty.
historian

BearlyBeloved
ImABearToo said:

My wife and I were part of the field storming a few years at McLane after beating OU. We were very careful not to injure any of our 350 lb linemen.

So I guess this isn't the two of you??

ImABearToo
Dang voice dictation.
ImABearToo
Busted!
BearlyBeloved
ImABearToo said:

Busted!
LOL
bear2be2
historian said:

I wasn't talking about this year but to the past few years when we had several such games:

MBB beat Kansas 80-64 in 2018 (after multiple losses)
WBB beat #1 UConn in 2019
MBB beat #6 Villanova in 2021
MBB beat #5 Kansas in 2022
MBB beat #9 Kansas in 2023
MBB beat #8 Texas in 2023

I did not include the natty COVID year with decreased crowds.

In any of these games storming the court would have been justified, arguably. But Baylor students did not. I attended each of them except the last one & I would gave remembered it. I remember some football games that ended with fans storming McLane (TCU 2014, K State 2014, OU 2021) so it's not a Baylor thing. Maybe it's a Baylor basketball thing.

In 2021 at the natty watch party at McLane Stadium, those students not on the field watching the broadcast on the big screen stormed the field after MBB won the natty.
We've been in this same position since probably 2013 -- our second Elite Eight run. So I wasn't talking about this year either. There aren't many teams in the Big 12 that we don't beat regularly. And that's been the case for a decade now.
Method Man
This is all much ado about nothing.

Unless you hire 10-15 NBA/NFL type security professionals to guard the court it would almost impossible to stop a mob of a 1,000 plus students from rushing the court.

At that point you have to really wonder if the added expense of professional security guards is really worth it.
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

IowaBear said:

There's only one section you have to hold off in a court storming -- the students. You don't need a perimeter because adults courtside aren't going to rush the floor. Get security where you need it and create a protocol. Those who violate it get punished -- either academically or legally.

There's a way to keep court storming without endangering players, coaches and officials.
Yeah so you block off one section of a rectangle and they just go to the other 3 sides.

Watch the video from the Wake Forest game. The fans come from both ends the fastest but they also come off the two sides (just not as fast).

You have to block all 4 sides.
cowboycwr
historian said:

I think fans did go onto the court after beating Kansas once at home way back in the day. I think even before Drew like in 2000 or so. I don't remember if it was a rush though.
historian
It makes sense. I was going off of my limited knowledge and experience.
texillian
TWD 1974 said:

cowboycwr said:

Threatening the home team with forfeiture is the most straightforward route.

It's kind of a killjoy approach to something thats mostly innocuous, but there have been enough close calls lately that a more stringent tactic is needed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.