Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #11 Baylor (21-8; 10-6) vs Texas (19-10; 8-8)

March 3, 2024

#11 Baylor (21-8; 10-6) takes on Texas (19-10; 8-8) in Waco at Foster Pavilion March 4 at 8pm.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 78 Texas 72

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 77 Texas 71

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 76 Texas 71

Haslametrics:  Baylor 76 Texas 69

Coaches

Texas:  Rodney Terry (55) 204-174 (41-18 at Texas); 2 NCAAs; Sweet 16; Elite 8

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 462-251 overall (442-240 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  2-1 Terry

Texas Starters

Guard:  Tyrese Hunter (JR) 5-11 175 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 4 asst; 46% FG; 35% 3pt; 66% FT

Guard:  Max Abmas (SR) 5-11 175 lbs; 17 ppg; 3 reb; 4 asst; 42% FG; 37% 3pt; 91% FT

Guard: Ithiel Horton (JR) 6-5 200 lbs; 6 ppg; 2 reb; 37% FG; 35% 3pt; 71% FT

Forward:  Dillon Mitchell (SO) 6-8 205 lbs; 10 ppg; 8 reb; 57% FG; 61% FT

Forward:  Dylan Disu (SR) 6-9 225 lbs; 17 ppg; 5 reb; 50% FG; 51% 3pt; 81% FT

Texas Bench

Guard: Brock Cunningham (SR) 6-6 210 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 40% FG; 36% 3pt; 91% FT

Forward:  Kadin Shedrick (SR) 6-11 230 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 59% FG; 38% 3pt; 73% FT

Guard:  Chendall Weaver (SO) 6-3 180 lbs; 6 ppg; 3 reb; 48% FG; 21% 3pt; 70% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst;  50% FG; 38% 3pt; 71% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 48% FG; 46% 3pt; 69% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 38% FG; 33% 3pt; 84% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst;  45% FG; 40% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 64% FG; 61% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 46% FG; 49% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 55% FG; 22% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 73% FG; 63% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 46% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #11 Baylor (21-8; 10-6) vs Texas (19-10; 8-8)

34,358 Views | 363 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Mitch Henessey
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zone helped last 2 possessions
IowaBear
We know… that's every fans excuse when we go up there at get our asses whipped in the first game
Guitarbiscuit
UT is better than Baylor. They could play us 5 times and they will win them all. We might win once. We cannot defend them. The fact we have closed it to 7 is, to me, fool's gold. That said, Baylor is a good team. But not against Texas. UT may also be the best team in the Big 12 right now.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

We're scoring at will. Just simply cannot string any stops together at all. Abmas is doing whatever he wants whenever he wants.
That heat check 3 miss is going to cool him off. He can't keep shooting like he had to that point.
whitetrash
Killing Floor said:

Cunningham looks good for a 40 year old.

He's been a relative choir boy so far. Shedrick, on the other hand, must have some compromising photos of Kip with barnyard animals. He's gone full goon with impunity all game.
GruntTuff
I like Miro's action this half.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

We know… that's every fans excuse when we go up there at get our asses whipped in the first game
I've never cared about the Big 12 tournament. And it's not an excuse if I'm telling you before it's even played that I don't care about it.

The only time the Big 12 tournament means anything is if/when we're on the bubble. If we're firmly in the NCAA field, it's meaningless.
Oldbear83
"UT is better than Baylor."

How did they do against ISU and Kansas?

We are in a gauntlet of games. UH/TCU/KU and now FartCow. We did not need to play Monday after Kansas on Saturday.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
KIA
We are 80 percent from 3, and are plus 3 in rebounds ... and are lucky to be only down by 7. Get some stops, Bears!
bear2be2
Guitarbiscuit said:

UT is better than Baylor. They could play us 5 times and they will win them all. We might win once. We cannot defend them. The fact we have closed it to 7 is, to me, fool's gold. That said, Baylor is a good team. But not against Texas. UT may also be the best team in the Big 12 right now.
It's a matchup thing. We're a better team than Texas. The full body of work of both teams tells us this. But they're a nightmare matchup for us.
IowaBear
Nobody said you have to care. I prefer winning over laying eggs. So I hope they win a few in KC for once
Killing Floor
2 rebounds in a row
IvanBear
UT is better than us. We haven't played well against them for over 3 halfs now. End of the day they're better than we are.

It sucks, it's embarrassing, and it's unacceptable.

bear2be2
GruntTuff said:

I like Miro's action this half.
He's played well. He always brings grit and effort. He just needs more production. Tonight, he's playing with confidence.
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

Nobody said you have to care. I prefer winning over laying eggs. So I hope they win a few in KC for once
There's a direct correlation between our tournament flops and how crappy we look in KC. Drew's teams just haven't been ready at the end of the year, excluding 2020 and 2021 (everyone having Covid gets them a pass).
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

I always prefer winning to losing. But I'm not going to get broken up about conference tournament losses. It's the next tournament that matters. That's all that matters in college basketball.
bear2be2
If we lose tonight, Walter will be the biggest culprit. He has been a momentum vacuum tonight. Every time we have a chance to steal momentum, he does something stupid.
CHP Bear
Would love to see this game even with 5 on the clock. Make that 8 minute mark.
KIA
bear2be2 said:

If we lose tonight, Walter will be the biggest culprit. He has been a momentum vacuum tonight. Every time we have a chance to steal momentum, he does something stupid.
I would put team defense up there on the list ...
vanillabryce
Walter has been…. Bad.
bear2be2
Dennis is heating up. He's a great second-half player.
GruntTuff
5 on 4 fast break and Walter throws it away.

As bad as Lohner is, could he be worse than Walter is tonight?
ImABearToo
The "runner" has shown up.
wgeralds
bear2be2 said:

decision-making tonight has just been awful. from d rotations to passes to picks. lot of questionable decisions that don't seem to be getting any better as the season moves on.
bear2be2
KIA said:

bear2be2 said:

As bad as our defense has been, we've had several opportunities to make our move. He's made it almost impossible with his play on the offensive end tonight.
Jayman1963
KIA said:

bear2be2 said:

Turnovers also - 11-4 no bueno!
whitetrash
There's the Thugingham we all Know and love.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Got to Question where his head is at. He's gone from rarely posting on Instagram to very active since the Houston loss. It was even more active than usual after the KU game.
bear2be2
Bridges has been absolutely huge tonight. If this is his final home game at Baylor, he's putting together a memorable performance.
wgeralds
i don't believe walter has practiced or understands the zone defense. he guards air very well though.

also...cunningham's a punk.
bear2be2
Good drive there by Ja'Kobe. Let's see more of that.
Killing Floor
In my opinion if you are dribbling and hit your foot with the basketball you are ready for a bench break.
bear2be2
This is the run I was talking about. Let's keep it going.
Killing Floor
Let's Go Bears!!!
bear2be2
Killing Floor said:

In my opinion if you are dribbling and hit your foot with the basketball you are ready for a bench break.
I like that rule.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.