Oklahoma men's basketball team declined an NIT invitation

5,498 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by bear2be2
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I can't say I blame OU. When you got your heart set on dancing with Cinderella, you're not going to accept one of her ugly sisters.
Then don't lose six of your last eight and get run off the floor by a middling TCU team in your conference tournament opener.

Oklahoma had no reason whatsoever to feel entitled to an NCAA tournament spot. Neither did any of these other programs that were left out of the field and decided to throw a fit about it.
I agree they didn't deserve it, and have no right to feel entitled. But I can understand why a team in the Power 5 wouldn't want to be associated with the "Not In Tournament" and heighten their disappointment. Honestly, if Baylor went to the NIT, I really wouldn't derive any pleasure from winning it, but I'd be embarassed to lose in it. So there isn't really any incentive for a proud Power 5 program.
We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching them play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, Scott Drew would never.
Personally, if I wasn't good enough to participate in a main tournament, I would not want to participate in a "consolation bracket" and advertise that I wasn't good enough. I wouldn't get any positive feeling about winning against the leftovers, because it'd just mean I was the best of the worst. Whoopee. But that's me.

But you do, so that's why you don't understand OU. I don't, so that's why I do. But I don't think you hold the say over what's the "proper perspective" to have.

There are risks of injury that might affect the next season to consider too. The risk/reward of the NIT may not be favorable enough for some teams and some individual players.

I certainly hold the say over my opinion, which is why I said, "I think that is the proper perspective ..."

And when it comes to sports and competition, I very much subscribe to the Matt Rhule perspective. I have little respect for "competitors" who don't want to compete and "players" who don't want to play.

The opportunity to do both at a competitive level is fleeting. And when these kids reach an age where they can no longer do it, I doubt any of them will be saying, "I sure am glad I opted out of those games and an extra chance to play and compete with my teammates."
IvanBear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I can't say I blame OU. When you got your heart set on dancing with Cinderella, you're not going to accept one of her ugly sisters.
Then don't lose six of your last eight and get run off the floor by a middling TCU team in your conference tournament opener.

Oklahoma had no reason whatsoever to feel entitled to an NCAA tournament spot. Neither did any of these other programs that were left out of the field and decided to throw a fit about it.
I agree they didn't deserve it, and have no right to feel entitled. But I can understand why a team in the Power 5 wouldn't want to be associated with the "Not In Tournament" and heighten their disappointment. Honestly, if Baylor went to the NIT, I really wouldn't derive any pleasure from winning it, but I'd be embarassed to lose in it. So there isn't really any incentive for a proud Power 5 program.
Other than Syracuse, none of these are proud basketball programs, if they really think they are their delusion is extremely high levels.
cowboycwr
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching them play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, Scott Drew would never.
Personally, if I wasn't good enough to participate in a main tournament, I would not want to participate in a "consolation bracket" and advertise that I wasn't good enough. I wouldn't get any positive feeling about winning against the leftovers, because it'd just mean I was the best of the worst. Whoopee. But that's me.

But you do, so that's why you don't understand OU. I don't, so that's why I do. But I don't think you hold the say over what's the "proper perspective" to have.

There are risks of injury that might affect the next season to consider too. The risk/reward of the NIT may not be favorable enough for some teams and some individual players.

Your argument sounds a lot like the ones for bowl participation.

I would counter with the fact that many NIT champions use it to spring into next season. Take Baylor for example. We win the NIT one year and then next season go the sweet 16.

Just like with bowl season it is more time to practice and more game experience.
cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost by one point on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching the Bears play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, I don't think Scott Drew would ever do that.
I recall visiting with Pat Nunley after he got back from NYC in 2013 when we won it all, and he made the comment that only 2 teams in college basketball won their final game of the season that year: us and Louisville (and Louisville eventually had to forfeit over hookers and blow).
Technically isn't it 3 because of the CBI?
EvilTroyAndAbed
What happened the year Perry Jones got suspended? If I recall, we were on the NCAA bubble, and if we had beaten OU in the Big 12 tourney, we'd be in (maybe). Then he got suspended, and we lost and were out of the NCAA, but we didn't go to the NIT either. Did we not get invited that year? How does one go from on the bubble to the NCAA to not getting in the NIT? Or did we turn it down (which is weird since we've accepted other times)?
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

whitetrash said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost by one point on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching the Bears play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, I don't think Scott Drew would ever do that.
I recall visiting with Pat Nunley after he got back from NYC in 2013 when we won it all, and he made the comment that only 2 teams in college basketball won their final game of the season that year: us and Louisville (and Louisville eventually had to forfeit over hookers and blow).
Technically isn't it 3 because of the CBI?
I guess so, considering the 2013 CBI included 2 of this year's 1 seeds (Purdue and UH) along with other 3 other teams in this year's NCAAs (UT, Vermont and Charleston). So add Santa Clara to the list of schools that won their final game that year.
cowboycwr
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

What happened the year Perry Jones got suspended? If I recall, we were on the NCAA bubble, and if we had beaten OU in the Big 12 tourney, we'd be in (maybe). Then he got suspended, and we lost and were out of the NCAA, but we didn't go to the NIT either. Did we not get invited that year? How does one go from on the bubble to the NCAA to not getting in the NIT? Or did we turn it down (which is weird since we've accepted other times)?
Wasn't it more of we were going to get an auto bid as tournament winner versus being left out of both?
EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Wasn't it more of we were going to get an auto bid as tournament winner versus being left out of both?
Maybe. I thought for some reason we were one of the last teams on the bubble and we really needed to win that first game to solidify ourselves. I don't think we were in a situation where we were the 97th best team. Our record easily would have put us in the NIT.

EDIT: We were 18-13 (yikes), but we were 7th in the Big 12. I thought it might have had something to do with Perry Jones not being available.
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

We were ranked 80th in KenPom that year and went 7-9 in league play in a time where no Big 12 team had ever made the tournament with a losing conference record. So we pretty much had to win the Big 12 tournament that season to get into the NCAA tournament. And if I remember correctly, the NIT used the Perry Jones suspension as an excuse to pass on us.

We finished that year on a 2-6 run and playing pretty terrible basketball. I didn't think anyone was terribly broken up to see that season end.
EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

And if I remember correctly, the NIT used the Perry Jones suspension as an excuse to pass on us.
I think that's what was in my head. We didn't turn them down. They didn't invite mainly because of PJ3.
Stefano DiMera
Technically it's 4.... CollegeInsider.com Tournament has been around since 2009.
historian
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/19/porter-moser-says-oklahoma-was-given-15-minutes-to-decide-on-playing-in-the-nit/
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I certainly hold the say over my opinion, which is why I said, "I think that is the proper perspective ..."

And when it comes to sports and competition, I very much subscribe to the Matt Rhule perspective. I have little respect for "competitors" who don't want to compete and "players" who don't want to play.

The opportunity to do both at a competitive level is fleeting. And when these kids reach an age where they can no longer do it, I doubt any of them will be saying, "I sure am glad I opted out of those games and an extra chance to play and compete with my teammates."
I have a lot of respect for the decision of competitors and players to compete only in games and events that go towards determining who's the best and not in consolation competitions that advertise your failure to make the main tournament and go towards determining who's the best of the worst. I get it. If they do want to play in it, I respect that too.

I also respect players' decisions to opt out of non-playoff or non-championship bowl games in order to avoid an injury that might hurt their draft stock. If we went to the NIT this year, I would respect Missi and Walter not wanting to play for the same reason. You're saying you wouldn't?

I highly doubt these kids will look back and really regret missing the meaningless NIT and having a chance at being the best of the worst. Come on. We're talking about the NIT for pete's sake.
cowboycwr
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

And if I remember correctly, the NIT used the Perry Jones suspension as an excuse to pass on us.
I think that's what was in my head. We didn't turn them down. They didn't invite mainly because of PJ3.
As a side... does anyone remember the arguments on here (well really the old site) about PJ3 being the best NBA ready talent we had, he was destined to be a star, he wasn't ready, needed to stay, etc?

EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

As a side... does anyone remember the arguments on here (well really the old site) about PJ3 being the best NBA ready talent we had, he was destined to be a star, he wasn't ready, needed to stay, etc?

He was a massive talent. But it seems like he just didn't care about basketball that much.
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

He was a massive talent. But it seems like he just didn't care about basketball that much.
I don't think it was that he didn't care about basketball. I think he had the same problem Kendall Brown has. He was a gentle, reserved, introverted individual who struggled to develop the alpha gene needed to excel at the highest level of the sport. Jalen Bridges has some of the same issues.

Some guys' motors just don't run as hot as others'. And it's not an effort or care thing so much as personality thing IMO. Some guys are more deferential by nature, and it's hard for them to step out of their comfort zone.
IvanBear
historian said:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/19/porter-moser-says-oklahoma-was-given-15-minutes-to-decide-on-playing-in-the-nit/
I don't read this article and think wow what a good coach. I read this and think wow does he just totally let the locker room emotions run everything? No wonder OU has been bad under him.
TWD 1974
bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

I don't think it was that he didn't care about basketball. I think he had the same problem Kendall Brown has. He was a gentle, reserved, introverted individual who struggled to develop the alpha gene needed to excel at the highest level of the sport. Jalen Bridges has some of the same issues.

Some guys motors just don't run as hot as others. And it's not an effort or care thing so much as personality thing IMO. Some guys are more deferential by nature, and it's hard for them to step out of their comfort zone.
I remember watching a wretched High School basketball game on ESPN--solely because PJ3 was in it. I remember thinking, this kid has not been coached, at all... Over the years, after a ton of criticism of Drew and company about failing with PJ, and then watching him in the NBA, the lesson I have come to is this: you can have all the talent for a certain job, you can have all the training for that job, but is doesn't matter if you (deep down) want a different job. Perry Jones was much more comfortable playing the point than the post.
bear2be2
TWD 1974 said:

bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

Some guys motors just don't run as hot as others. And it's not an effort or care thing so much as personality thing IMO. Some guys are more deferential by nature, and it's hard for them to step out of their comfort zone.
I remember watching a wretched High School basketball game on ESPN--solely because PJ3 was in it. I remember thinking, this kid has not been coached, at all... Over the years, after a ton of criticism of Drew and company about failing with PJ, and then watching him in the NBA, the lesson I have come to is this: you can have all the talent for a certain job, you can have all the training for that job, but is doesn't matter if you (deep down) want a different job. Perry Jones was much more comfortable playing the point than the post.
Jones was a good player for us. He was the best or second-best player on one of the three most successful teams we've had in the modern era.

If Jones' career had ended after his first year, I would have considered him a disappointment strictly based on how that team's season went. But he came back, put up good numbers and played a pivotal role on a team that set our single-season school record for wins (only 30-win team we've ever had) and went all the way to the Elite Eight.

He was a success for Baylor regardless of what happened to him in the NBA.
historian
Interesting take. I'm not sure what I think. To be honest, I don't think about OU very much at all. I'm disappointed they didn't get into the tournament but I'm already over it. They are halfway out the door anyway.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TWD 1974
bear2be2 said:

TWD 1974 said:

bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

Jones was a good player for us. He was the best or second-best player on one of the three most successful teams we've had in the modern era.

If Jones' career had ended after his first year, I would have considered him a disappointment strictly based on how that team's season went. But he came back, put up good numbers and played a pivotal role on a team that set our single-season school record for wins (only 30-win team we've ever had) and went all the way to the Elite Eight.

He was a success for Baylor regardless of what happened to him in the NBA.
Apologies if I wrote too harshly. Perry Jones was a good player on a very good team that made the elite 8. He may have been second in scoring but that team had Pierre Jackson, Quincy Acy, Cory Jefferson, Quincy Miller, Brady Heslip. With 5 guys avg in double figures it was hard to say who was second in contribution (Acy was the core tho!). I guess the frustration I had, and everyone I think, was we could all see how gifted Perry was, he would show moments of what he could do and then, not... He seemed to be a fine young man and I hope he is doing well. One factor (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this), his Momma was in bad health, and he was concerned about her in his second season when he delayed the NBA to stay at Baylor, and then was suspended the end of the first year and the first part of the second because a family friend who helped get him to Baylor had tried to help the Family. The world has changed since then, and for players in Perry's situation, it is hopefully better.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
pOUt
BusyTarpDuster2017
cowboycwr said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I would counter with the fact that many NIT champions use it to spring into next season. Take Baylor for example. We win the NIT one year and then next season go the sweet 16.

Just like with bowl season it is more time to practice and more game experience.
Yes, it's similar to declining bowl participation.

Yes, the NIT may be useful for the next season, but then again, with the portal and one and done players leading to so much turnover, it may not. I don't have a problem with a team deciding that the risk/reward of the NIT isn't worth it.

Not always does postseason play "spring" a team into the next season. The Armed Forces Bowl for us comes to mind. If anything, it did nothing but embarass us and start us on a demise.
IvanBear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, the NIT may be useful for the next season, but then again, with the portal and one and done players leading to so much turnover, it may not. I don't have a problem with a team deciding that the risk/reward of the NIT isn't worth it.

Not always does postseason play "spring" a team into the next season. The Armed Forces Bowl for us comes to mind. If anything, it did nothing but embarass us and start us on a demise.
That says more about the coaching staff's ability to use extra practice than it does the concept of the extra practice though. It was coaches turning down bids not people above them.
cowboycwr
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Another counter....

How many teams that play in the NIT/get an invite have one and done players? Or even NBA talent that is a sure lock and not a bubble player?

I would think for them it would be like the players on all the G5 and none blue blood teams that want the bowl game to showcase their pro talent one more time.

As to our bowl game the demise started before that when we lost several games in a row....
BusyTarpDuster2017
cowboycwr said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Another counter....

How many teams that play in the NIT/get an invite have one and done players? Or even NBA talent that is a sure lock and not a bubble player?

I would think for them it would be like the players on all the G5 and none blue blood teams that want the bowl game to showcase their pro talent one more time.

As to our bowl game the demise started before that when we lost several games in a row....
I don't know how many one and done players have been on NIT teams. But I do seem to recall Isaiah Austin was set to leave for the NBA draft after his freshman year when we won the NIT, but had to come back for another year after he injured himself in an NBA scouting practice. But the point wasn't just about one and dones, there's also the portal and graduating seniors that can disrupt continuity for the next year. And that's only part of the overall risk/reward calculation a team makes for the NIT.

Sure, if players and a team wants to showcase their talent in the NIT and feel they have nothing to lose by it, then good for them, go for it. But what is so wrong about a team or its players who feel they have something to lose, so they don't? You can also damage your showcase if you don't perform well, kinda like Baylor in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Yes, our demise started before the bowl game. But that game sure didn't help matters, and probably contributed to even a worse demise, especially in fan support.
Hotsauce
St. Bonaventure AD abruptly resigned possibly over rejecting an NIT bid before even talking to players.
cowboycwr
I guess they won't participate in the new tournament by fox sports next year either.......

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39868485/fox-aeg-launch-new-postseason-basketball-tournament
contrario
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You probably aren't a big fan of any of the bowls outside of the CFP bowls then are you?
bear2be2
contrario said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You probably aren't a big fan of any of the bowls outside of the CFP bowls then are you?
I'm not, but I would be interested in a secondary football tournament, a la the NIT. I like extra opportunities for teams to compete with win-or-go-home stakes on the line. It shows who actually enjoys competition.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.