Oklahoma men's basketball team declined an NIT invitation

5,501 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by bear2be2
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
MrGolfguy
sore losers

bye
bear2be2
gobears20 said:

Pathetic. What a bunch of clowns.
Edmond Bear

As someone who lives in the middle of Soonerland….this is awesome!

OkieBear12
Wouldn't surprise me if they turned it down to save money on the athletic budget.

Contrary to success on the field against little brother, little brother is a better steward of its financial resources.
Task Force 2015
Kansas State and Cincy accepted invitations.
Task Force 2015
Also South Florida plays Central Florida.IMO the extra games and practices are valuable.
Robert Wilson
Weak ass. You've got players and coaches - go play.

Winning the NIT, or even a good NIT run, is a nice accomplishment and is a good springboard into the next season.
MattyIce
Baylor 2009-2010 season was helped tremendously by the 09 NIT run
IvanBear
OkieBear12 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they turned it down to save money on the athletic budget.

Contrary to success on the field against little brother, little brother is a better steward of its financial resources.
You make money playing in the NIT.

Conferences should fine members who turn down NIT invitations, it's a loss of revenue to the conference.
TWD 1974
MattyIce said:

Baylor 2009-2010 season was helped tremendously by the 09 NIT run
NIT in this era is not the same. A lot of power five teams will be minus players intent on going into the portal. Will Moser stay at OU?
BearFan33
Didn't we hang a banner for our NIT win? This is short sighted for OU IMO.
IvanBear
BearFan33 said:

Didn't we hang a banner for our NIT win? This is short sighted for OU IMO.
We used to have one for the championship (the only appropriate time to hang a NIT banner), not sure if it's in the new Arena or not.
GoldenBear007
Quite comical too considering NIT changed the rules granting more slots for the top six conferences, only for them to get slighted as OU wasn't the only one to decline. St. John's, Ole Miss, Pitt, Indiana, etc all declined too.

Johnny Bear
Would've been nice for the B12 to get nine teams into the Dance, but at the same time I can understand how you can make the case OU didn't deserve it. Furthermore, since they are one of the OUT traitors, it's fine with me. And IMO it's a classless move on their part to pout and decline the NIT.
LIB,MR BEARS
The portal date needs to change until after the first Monday in April.
gobears20
Staff
jsstewar
Is Oklahoma still in the Conference?
drahthaar
Edmond Bear said:

As someone who lives in the middle of Soonerland….this is awesome!

Looking for a safe space to heal?
TWD 1974
LIB,MR BEARS said:

The portal date needs to change until after the first Monday in April.
With expiration of said portal on the second monday.
Mitch Henessey
Number one, it is incredibly poor form to pout about missing the tourney like this. Maybe be better than 50th in the country and you wouldn't have this problem?

Number two, a reason I've seen posited as why all these teams declined NIT bids is that once your season ends, players can enter the transfer portal. It sounds like a few of these teams are anticipating getting absolutely decimated by the portal, and by ending their season now, they can get a head start on rebuilding the roster for next year.

As for OU, it couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch. I hope the move to the SEC sends them into a permanent tailspin in all sports.
vanillabryce
Moser is in what, year 3? And it looks like no NCAAs in those three years.

I don't know why they turned it down, but even if they hosted two games their fans wouldn't show up. Lloyd Noble is one of the worst arenas in major college basketball.

They absolutely need to move the portal date.

Imagine if the NBA opened free agency the day the playoffs started. And their free agency basically had no rules.
bear2be2
GoldenBear007 said:

Quite comical too considering NIT changed the rules granting more slots for the top six conferences, only for them to get slighted as OU wasn't the only one to decline. St. John's, Ole Miss, Pitt, Indiana, etc all declined too.

Yep. That was a bad move by the NIT. They took teams out that wanted to be there to offer invites to teams that don't.

All regular season conference champs that miss the NCAA tournament should be in the NIT. Period. Screw these spoiled P5 basketball teams that feel they're too good to play basketball.
BusyTarpDuster2017
I can't say I blame OU. When you got your heart set on dancing with Cinderella, you're not going to accept one of her ugly sisters.
drahthaar
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I can't say I blame OU. When you got your heart set on dancing with Cinderella, you're not going to accept one of her ugly sisters.
Depends on whether or not you're the ugly sister.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Then don't lose six of your last eight and get run off the floor by a middling TCU team in your conference tournament opener.

Oklahoma had no reason whatsoever to feel entitled to an NCAA tournament spot. Neither did any of these other programs that were left out of the field and decided to throw a fit about it.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Then don't lose six of your last eight and get run off the floor by a middling TCU team in your conference tournament opener.

Oklahoma had no reason whatsoever to feel entitled to an NCAA tournament spot. Neither did any of these other programs that were left out of the field and decided to throw a fit about it.
I agree they didn't deserve it, and have no right to feel entitled. But I can understand why a team in the Power 5 wouldn't want to be associated with the "Not In Tournament" and heighten their disappointment. Honestly, if Baylor went to the NIT, I really wouldn't derive any pleasure from winning it, but I'd be embarassed to lose in it. So there isn't really any incentive for a proud Power 5 program.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I agree they didn't deserve it, and have no right to feel entitled. But I can understand why a team in the Power 5 wouldn't want to be associated with the "Not In Tournament" and heighten their disappointment. Honestly, if Baylor went to the NIT, I really wouldn't derive any pleasure from winning it, but I'd be embarassed to lose in it. So there isn't really any incentive for a proud Power 5 program.
We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost by one point on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching the Bears play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, I don't think Scott Drew would ever do that.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching them play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, Scott Drew would never.
Personally, if I wasn't good enough to participate in a main tournament, I would not want to participate in a "consolation bracket" and advertise that I wasn't good enough. I wouldn't get any positive feeling about winning against the leftovers, because it'd just mean I was the best of the worst. Whoopee. But that's me.

But you do, so that's why you don't understand OU. I don't, so that's why I do. But I don't think you hold the say over what's the "proper perspective" to have.

There are risks of injury that might affect the next season to consider too. The risk/reward of the NIT may not be favorable enough for some teams and some individual players.
whitetrash
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

We've been three times in the Scott Drew era and made two runs to the title game -- losing one, winning the other. I found both to be enjoyable ends to a disappointing season, providing a positive feeling where a negative one previously existed. I even went to the game we lost by one point on a last-second shot to Mississippi State at the Ferrell Center in 2018 -- and enjoyed it until that shot rimmed in.

I don't expect others nationally to care about the NIT or what my team does in it. But when Baylor has played in it, I've enjoyed watching the Bears play the extra games and try to make some lemonade out of lemons.

I think that is the proper perspective and outlook to take on the NIT. And I would be disappointed if a coach of our program chose to opt out. Fortunately, I don't think Scott Drew would ever do that.
I recall visiting with Pat Nunley after he got back from NYC in 2013 when we won it all, and he made the comment that only 2 teams in college basketball won their final game of the season that year: us and Louisville (and Louisville eventually had to forfeit over hookers and blow).
Chamberman
The schools that declined the NIT invitations are basically giving up on their teams at this point. They are focusing on the transfer portal and finalizing recruiting and rebuilding better teams for next season. If they were really focused on making their current players better, they'd play in the NIT. Giving players the opportunity to play in post season play regardless of which tournament, would give them experience that would pay off for next season.
gobears20
Staff
What other teams declined besides OU and St John's?
IowaBear
Syracuse, Pitt, Ole Miss and a few more
FFA0329
I am not particularly a Tom Crean fan, but go watch his short rant on TV about all these teams turning down the NIT. He does NOT like it. I agree with him and some of you here. Play!!! If half your guys bail, play with the other half. Send one of your ten coaches to recruit elsewhere during the NIT, but play!!! It was good I thought and he was strong.
FFA0329
Tom Crean agreed 1,000%!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.