Clemson's coach

2,622 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Hotsauce
Right argument. Wrong league.

SEC! SEC!
boognish_bear
historian
Is he eating humble pie or is it just coach speak?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
historian said:

Is he eating humble pie or is it just coach speak?
I don't think he was talking about Baylor when he made that comment. He was talking about programs like BYU, Iowa State and Texas Tech -- two of which have already been eliminated by double-digit seeds.

The Big 12 does have a nonconference scheduling problem. Kansas and Baylor don't participate in that nonsense, but there are too many teams in our league who load up patsies in November and December.
historian
True. But he was also talking about the conference in general. I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if some ACC teams had weak non conference schedules too.

I imagine teams in the other conferences were getting tired of hearing over & over again that the Big 12 was the best, even if it's objectively true over the past few years.

For the record, there is no question that some of our conference mates had terrible ooc schedules. We have had some discussions of that very topic on these boards.
Mitch Henessey
Jeff Capel, Pitt's coach, got in on the nonsense and his team played the 340th non-conference schedule. It's ridiculous. The ACC needs to worry about their own fences before they go trying to mend other people's.
Porteroso
It is these coaches' job to advocate for their league. No reason to pay any attention to it at all.
Big12Bear
Mitch Henessey said:

Jeff Capel, Pitt's coach, got in on the nonsense and his team played the 340th non-conference schedule. It's ridiculous. The ACC needs to worry about their own fences before they go trying to mend other people's.
Capel's comments were even more galling for that reason.

But in the end his joke non con scheduling caused Pitt to miss the dance. Beautiful.
historian
Clemson's own non conference schedule was nothing to shout about: Bama, South Carolina, TCU, & Memphis are the most consequential. It's not terrible & their record was pretty good. It's better than many of the Big 12 teams' schedules but not on the level of Baylor or Kansas. It's not exactly a schedule to brag about.
Quinton
historian said:

Clemsons own non conference schedule was nothing to shout about: Bama, South Carolina, TCU, & Memphis are the most consequential. It's not terrible & their record was pretty good. It's better than many of the Big 12 teams' schedules but not on the level of Baylor or Kansas. It's not exactly a schedule to brag about.

I don't fully agree with their coach but that list is way better than anyone's but Bu and Ku.. by a significant margin. Probably part of the frustration.

I agree with bear2. Bu and Ku are not thought of when he and the rest of the country make comments like this.

Part of the perception is both of those teams weren't great in conference so folks automatically perceive it as weaker. They look at the junk OOC every other team put together and draw conclusions.
historian
Agreed.

In reality, it seems like such criticism of the Big 12 is lazy. They don't completely understand the dynamics of the conference and are frustrated of national perceptions promoted by media, who themselves are often lazy because they don't always explain things well in detail or with great accuracy.
historian
I should add: my point about Clemson's schedule is that it wasn't a whole lot better than the Big 12 teams he was complaining about. Maybe it's rather common across the country for teams to load up on lighter opponents. Only the more elite schools, regardless of conference, do otherwise. Given the rigors of conference play, especially in the Big 12, and the tournament , it would seem that those teams with soft schedules are not doing themselves any favor. Their regular season records aren't as good because they lose too many conference games (& sometimes to the ooc patsies).

Also, those schools tend to be the ones who lose early in the tournament. K State lost their first NIT game. BYU, Tech & TCU lost in the first round. None had much of an ooc schedule. The same is true of the teams with no post season.
boognish_bear
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

Clemson's own non conference schedule was nothing to shout about: Bama, South Carolina, TCU, & Memphis are the most consequential. It's not terrible & their record was pretty good. It's better than many of the Big 12 teams' schedules but not on the level of Baylor or Kansas. It's not exactly a schedule to brag about.

That's a good non conference schedule.
historian
Yes it was a good schedule & better than some Big 12. Others were similar. If the teams I listed, only Bama was ranked. Then again, IIRC Baylor didn't have any ranked wins until conference play.

Emoji was accidental
boognish_bear
Big12Fan2024
It sure looks like Clemson's coach may be on to something here. A lower ranked ACC team takes out a higher ranked Big 12 team that was a 4.5 point favorite.
ZachTay
Big12Fan2024 said:

It sure looks like Clemson's coach may be on to something here. A lower ranked ACC team takes out a higher ranked Big 12 team that was a 4.5 point favorite.
Rankings mean nothing when you hit the tournament. The Bears were doomed from the start to ultimately face better, more solid and experienced bigs and the demise of their poor free throw shooting. It was just a matter of time.

Baylor was NEVER a Final 4 caliber team this year.
Big12Fan2024
That was his point. Not necessarily Baylor's metrics but other Big 12 team metrics were artificially high through gaming the efficiency numbers in mop up wins in the non-conference.
boognish_bear
Guitarbiscuit
historian said:

Agreed.

In reality, it seems like such criticism of the Big 12 is lazy. They don't completely understand the dynamics of the conference and are frustrated of national perceptions promoted by media, who themselves are often lazy because they don't always explain things well in detail or with great accuracy.

I am one who thinks the Big 12 is overrated and has been for some time now. Perhaps it is the metrics that are being used are failing to fully gauge how good a team really is. But it was pretty obvious that when Baylor lost this year and their ranking only went down 2 spots--that much more credibility was being given to the Big 12 than it deserved.

It's almost as if there is some sort of "Coattail Effect" happening too often, to borrow from political terminology.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

After NC State knocked off Tech in the first round.

The Big 12's record head-to-head against the ACC this year is atrocious.
burg0047
bear2be2 said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

After NC State knocked off Tech in the first round.

The Big 12's record head-to-head against the ACC this year is atrocious embarrassing.
FIFY

So much early- and mid-season hype about Big XII being the elite hoops league with a large gap between it and the next contender...

Possibilities:

It was hype and the conference was "average".

It was true but the conference teams beat each other to a pulp during the season and entered the tournament 'spent'.

It was true but the inter-conference style of play and style of refs translated into poor performance when it mattered most against outside competition.

It was true and the entire conference needs a bus load of sports psychologists.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility, but combined with the second... I don't think B12 is the "best" conference, but it's one of the most difficult in which to play and survive strongly.
historian
I think it was partly true but the gap wasn't very wide. The conference did beat up on each other over the past two months.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.