Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: 3 Seed Baylor (24-10) vs 6 Seed Clemson (22-11)

March 23, 2024

3 Seed Baylor (24-10) takes on 6 Seed Clemson (22-11) Sunday March 24th at 5:10pm CST at the FedEx Forum with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line.  The game will be televised on TNT.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 75 Clemson 73

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 74 Clemson 72

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 75 Clemson 73

Haslametrics:  Baylor 73 Clemson 71

Coaches

Clemson:  Brad Brownell (55) 430-273 (263-188 at Clemson); 7 NCAAs; Sweet 16

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 465-252 overall (435-241 at Baylor); 12 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  0-0

Clemson Starters

Guard:  Joe Girard (SR) 6-2 190 lbs; 15 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 43% FG; 42% 3pt; 95% FT

Guard:  Chase Hunter (SR) 6-4 200 lbs; 13 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 42% FG; 32% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward: Ian Schieffelin (JR) 6-8 240 lbs; 10 ppg; 10 reb; 57% FG; 50% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  PJ Hall (SR) 6-10 240 lbs; 19 ppg; 7 reb; 2 blocks; 49% FG; 32% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Jack Clark (SR) 6-10 210 lbs; 4 ppg; 5 reb; 38% FG; 28% 3pt; 82% FT

Clemson Bench

Forward:  RJ Godfrey (SO) 6-8 230 lbs; 6 ppg; 3 reb; 59% FG; 33% 3pt; 56% FT

Guard:  Dillon Hunter (SO) 6-4 185 lbs; 3 ppg; 40% FG; 27% pt; 44% FT

Forward:  Chauncey Wiggins (SO) 6-10 210 lbs; 6 ppg; 2 reb; 44% FG; 34% 3pt; 71% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst;  48% FG; 34% 3pt; 72% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 47% FG; 45% 3pt; 71% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 37% FG; 34% 3pt; 81% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 12 ppg; 6 reb; 46% FG; 41% 3pt; 83% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 62% FG; 62% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 57% FG; 25% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 73% FG; 63% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 43% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: 3 Seed Baylor (24-10) vs 6 Seed Clemson (22-11)

32,413 Views | 379 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CHP Bear
IvanBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearsalwayswin said:

What do y'all want scott to do tho not try to recruit freshman like cmon

I want him to recruit like he did in 2018, 2019, and 2020. I want him to recruit like UConn and North Carolina. I want him grabbing guys with obvious upside but need work, I want him to grab guys who feel disrespected and unrecognized.
Big12Fan2024
It is starting to look like Clemson's coach and others are correct. The Big 12 has figured out a way to game all of the metrics through scheduling and beating the pulp out of non-conference patsies and now is getting exposed in the tournament.
Daveisabovereproach
BaylorLit 01 said:

We're getting fringe 1-and-done players. Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Duke - they get the impact ones that can be the best player on a final four team. Walter, Missi, and George can't be your best player.

I don't expect us to be consistently as good as Kansas and Duke. I think that's a little much. But we shouldn't be getting bounced in the round of 32. It isn't about lack of talent, it's about lack of coaching. Same issue in football despite what the Aranda lovers want to say about how Dave hasn't had any talent to work with
Self Made Bear
If you look at our past NBA players do you think Walter matches their talent and importance to the team? We'll see in a couple of months.
IvanBear
Self Made Bear said:

If you look at our past NBA players do you think Walter matches their talent and importance to the team? We'll see in a couple of months.

He will get drafted but it's not because he's good, it's because NBA evaluation is broken and too based on AAU careers.
BUCANDOIT82
Self Made Bear said:

I would be surprised if Walter gets drafted. I don't see him in the NBA.

You don't understand what you're looking at. He's a top 10 pick. It's not his fault Langston Love got hurt. We had tired legs in this game.
Big12Fan2024
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Self Made Bear said:

I would be surprised if Walter gets drafted. I don't see him in the NBA.

You don't understand what you're looking at. He's a top 10 pick. It's not his fault Langston Love got hurt. We had tired legs in this game.

Why do you make so many grandiose posts and then come back and make excuses later? Just accept the L and move on.
IowaBear
Expecting 82 to take an L ?? Haha good luck with that
CHP Bear
It is what it is. This team was built to get to the Dance, not win it. Teams playing from behind for a 28 game season can build a decent win loss record. However, March Madness is when it's peddle to the metal. Not the time to play from behind. Every kid playing basketball needs to shot 100 FTs a day. Shooting 3s all day is fun but in the end every point counts.
True Grit
Free throws… free throws… free throws
Easy Money
Coaching is good talent is great heart is small as a hummingbirds ass
Easy Money
I will never get excited over a one n done . It's obvious playing for themselves
MrGolfguy
Easy Money said:

I will never get excited over a one n done. It's obvious playing for themselves
This is true; every game is just an audition for the scouts. I'm sure they're good kids/people but all they really want is to make bank in the League.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

3 straight top 3 seeds and looking and 3 straight rd of 32 exits. We have made the 2nd weekend since 17. (Excluding our title team)
Good effort down the stretch to make a game of it, but I never question a Scott Drew team's heart, will or want-to.

Unfortunately, though, this was the only obvious outcome for this team based on its entire body of work. The only question I had is whether their many flaws would cost them in the Round of 32 or the Sweet 16. Unfortunately, it came in the first weekend for the the third consecutive year.

We've got to do some soul searching after this. You can't keep doing the exact same things and getting the exact same results.

I think roster construction and our commitment on the defensive end (or lack thereof) have to be addressed. Both are extreme ceiling-limiters IMO.
bear2be2
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Walter is going to make both free throws and the comeback is happening.'
Namtats, namtats, namtats.

Did I make it here in time?
bear2be2
BUGWBBear said:

Quinton said:

IvanBear said:

Johnny Bear said:

We may have to stop boasting about the Big 12 being the best conference. Out of 8 teams we're going to at most get a whopping 2 teams to the 2nd weekend - and that's only if UH wins what may well be a teally tough game against the aggys.

For our part, we get the best first two round draw we've had in I don't know how many years and we blow it. Three years in a row and counting of going down in round 2.

I've been saying it all year that the big 12 wasn't the best Conference in basketball this year. We weren't good, KU wasn't good, Iowa State is a fraud but disciplined, Houston is not impressive when you watch them play.

My problem is drew three years in a row has put together teams with attitude and or effort issues.

I've sensed it but haven't gone all in. The talent level definitely isn't there.

Been saying that all year long. Stefano racking up those receipts?
You said this team was making the NIT. You were as wrong as any of the optimists. You don't get to claim scoreboard because you've been an insufferable ******* all season.

Most seasons end with a loss. Congrats on predicting a loss in every game we've ever played.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

No it's not.. if you've watched BU this season you'd have known this was coming either tonight or in the S16. This team is incredibly inconsistent and cannot string hott shooting games together at all. Clemson is just better and that's sad considering they finished 5th in the ACC
Sad but true.

You can't consistently beat good teams playing well doing the things we've routinely done all season. There's a reason we haven't had a winning streak longer than three games since January.
bear2be2
ALLBEAR said:

MashedPotatoes said:

ALLBEAR said:

Are we the most overrated team in America? What has Scott Drew truly done besides assemble super over hyped teams
Win a national championship.
With an asterisk due to covid shortened season
Get out of here with that bull*****

Everyone played under the exact same circumstances, and we were by far the best team in the country that year.

And if anything, COVID impacted us more than it did most other teams, not less.
Johnny Bear
Big12Fan2024 said:

It is starting to look like Clemson's coach and others are correct. The Big 12 has figured out a way to game all of the metrics through scheduling and beating the pulp out of non-conference patsies and now is getting exposed in the tournament.

Obvious troll.
BUCANDOIT82
BaylorLit 01 said:

We're getting fringe 1-and-done players. Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Duke - they get the impact ones that can be the best player on a final four team. Walter, Missi, and George can't be your best player.

George was Big XII freshman of the year and is one of the top 5 rookies in the NBA. Walter was Big XII freshman of the year.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Obvious troll.
Not really. The Big 12 has gamed the system where the NET and KenPom ratings are concerned.

Our teams are consistently seeded higher and rated better by the computers than their play on the court warrants.

Us and Kansas are perfect examples. We actually did play solid noncon schedules, but our reputation was artificially boosted by beating teams that didn't.
Johnny Bear
bear2be2 said:

ALLBEAR said:

MashedPotatoes said:

ALLBEAR said:

Are we the most overrated team in America? What has Scott Drew truly done besides assemble super over hyped teams
The trolls are out. Just ignore.

Everyone played under the exact same circumstances, and we were by far the best team in the country that year.

bear2be2
BUCANDOIT82 said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

George was Big XII freshman of the year and is one of the top 5 rookies in the NBA. Walter was Big XII freshman of the year.

None of that matters if you don't win in March. And we haven't since the title.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

Dennis going out on a horrible decision with the ball is very appropriate for his career here
Dennis single-handedly playing us back into that game in the final five minutes is more indicative of the season he had for us. Anyone trashing him doesn't know ball. Period.

He was asked to do more than any point guard in the country, and he consistently gave us chances to win games we had no business even being in.
Johnny Bear
bear2be2 said:

ALLBEAR said:

MashedPotatoes said:

ALLBEAR said:

Yep if not for Covid, we probably would've been a wire to wire undefeated team that season.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Game set match. You're defined by March success right or wrong. Season was a failure and I'm fully prepared for the sunshine pumpers to come at this post
I've been a Baylor basketball fan too long to call a season like this one a failure, but given the circumstances, it can't objectively considered anything more than a moderate success IMO.

And we do need to reframe the way we talk about our program based on the last three years. This is a really good, really consistent program. It's not an elite one. Elite programs win in March.
Heisman25g
bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Obvious troll.
Not really. The Big 12 has gamed the system where the NET and KenPom ratings are concerned.

Our teams are consistently seeded higher and rated better by the computers than their play on the court warrants.

Us and Kansas are perfect examples. We actually did play solid noncon schedules, but our reputation was artificially boosted by beating teams that didn't.

Both us and Kansas got hamstrung by injuries to key players late in the year lol. This was the exact game where we desperately needed Langston love, losing him hurt more than ppl realize
bear2be2
tomiathon said:

Not sure how the computers measure efficiency, but their metrics are clearly wrong for this team when the offense stinks out loud for all but about 8 mins per game waaaaaaay too often. Those 8 minutes are admittedly exhilarating, but the other 32 minutes are pure torture.
That's just the way you remember it because we've had a few games where it was legitimately bad. But our offense has been pretty consistently good this season. The problem is we have a defense that requires it to be virtually perfect, and nobody's offense is perfect.

There aren't a lot of teams in college basketball that can score the way we do. All of these games that turned out close at the end that we had no business being in did so precisely because we are capable of elite offense for extended stretches. If we weren't, we'd have been blown out seven or eight times instead of twice.
Easy Money
Just pray he doesn't transfer
bear2be2
Bearsalwayswin said:

What do y'all want scott to do tho not try to recruit freshman like cmon
Yes. I do.

Freshman that demand the type of usage one-and-dones do don't win in March. Give those minutes and field gaol attempts to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Virtually all championship teams are.
bear2be2
BaylorLit 01 said:

Using Kentucky (or Kansas and Arizona) as an example here is certainly a choice. Kentucky and Arizona are consistent tournament underachievers, too, and Kansas has had two or three impact one-and-dones in the last decade.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Expecting 82 to take an L ?? Haha good luck with that
He's about winless where predictions and analysis is concerned but remains as confident as ever.
BUCANDOIT82
Heisman25g said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Obvious troll.

Both us and Kansas got hamstrung by injuries to key players late in the year lol. This was the exact game where we desperately needed Langston love, losing him hurt more than ppl realize

Finally a common sense post from someone who understands sports.
tomiathon
bear2be2 said:

tomiathon said:

Not sure how the computers measure efficiency, but their metrics are clearly wrong for this team when the offense stinks out loud for all but about 8 mins per game waaaaaaay too often. Those 8 minutes are admittedly exhilarating, but the other 32 minutes are pure torture.
That's just the way you remember it because we've had a few games where it was legitimately bad. But our offense has been pretty consistently good this season. The problem is we have a defense that requires it to be virtually perfect, and nobody's offense is perfect.

There aren't a lot of teams in college basketball that can score the way we do. All of these games that turned out close at the end that we had no business being in did so precisely because we are capable of elite offense for extended stretches. If we weren't, we'd have been blown out seven or eight times instead of twice.

No, it's the way I remember it because it has been exactly the way its been in literally every single game I've watched this season except maybe 2. The numbers can lie all they want, but the eye tells a different story, and it's that this offense has been incredibly inconsistent all season long. Again, yes, it will play incredibly for a short duration each game, but that does NOT in ANY way make up for the MUCH lengthier periods of absolute garbage where we throw up stupid contested threes or drive straight into an opponent's chest and throw up a shot that has no chance of going in and pray for a bailout call that we don't deserve because we're out of control. To say nothing of the missed FTs and mindless TOs. I don't care what the metric says. It's wrong.
bear2be2
Heisman25g said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

Obvious troll.

If you think those were the only reasons those teams made early exits, you didn't watch either enough when they were healthy. Injuries exacerbated previously existing issues for both. It didn't create any.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.