How long is Scott Drew's leash?

11,480 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Robert Wilson
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mulkey left because she wanted to. This is not a legitimate comparison.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Robert Wilson
Stefano DiMera said:

I'm just glad Mulkey and her historonics didn't win out because I can see a not too alternate universe where Drew would have bolted for Indiana Michigan or Louisville if he had to deal with her long term

Is that why we let her go without a counter offer?

Scott not a fan?

I would have thought being a national power in men's and women's simultaneously would've been quite a draw and a brand enhancer.
TWD 1974
Robert Wilson said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I'm just glad Mulkey and her historonics didn't win out because I can see a not too alternate universe where Drew would have bolted for Indiana Michigan or Louisville if he had to deal with her long term

Scott not a fan?

I would have thought being a national power in men's and women's simultaneously would've been quite a draw and a brand enhancer.
Please cite any point in time where Drew expressed dissatisfaction with Mulkey or Baylor? If you can't live with Scott Drew as a colleague that's probably more on you. That said, I am relieved the Washington Post article did not have any quotes coming out of KSU...

While the LSU contract was a big deal, it should be noted that according to reports, she made close to $3mm in salary and bonus in 2019--2 years before she left Waco.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Robert Wilson said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Scott not a fan?

There's no way we could have offered more than LSU, and they and Kim knew it. Unlike the Louisville rumors where people thought we might just need to give Drew a raise but not more than Louisville's hypothetical offer, Kim only was going to stay if we offered more than LSU. We weren't able to do it, so she left.

Also, I'm sure she's not too broken up that the LSU men are struggling right now. Keeps the spotlight on her program alone during basketball season.
Stefano DiMera
Drew's too classy and would never say anything but Tang didn't dance around the fact that there was a much better environment when Mulkey left.

Tang was on a SicEm365 interview when he said so.
Stefano DiMera
Mitch Blood Green
ALLBEAR said:

Really, though. How long is it? We are the most overrated team every year.

Ray Meyer Joey Meyer long.
57Bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Scott not a fan?

There's no way we could have offered more than LSU, and they and Kim knew it. Unlike the Louisville rumors where people thought we might just need to give Drew a raise but not more than Louisville's hypothetical offer, Kim only was going to stay if we offered more than LSU. We weren't able to do it, so she left.

Also, I'm sure she's not too broken up that the LSU men are struggling right now. Keeps the spotlight on her program alone during basketball season.
Didn't Kim's expected retirement from Louisiana increase significantly when she started drawing the LSU salary?
EvilTroyAndAbed
57Bear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Scott not a fan?

Didn't Kim's expected retirement from Louisiana increase significantly when she started drawing the LSU salary?

That was a floating theory. It makes sense.
TWD 1974
Stefano DiMera said:

Drew's too classy and would never say anything but Tang didn't dance around the fact that there was a much better environment when Mulkey left.

Tang was on a SicEm365 interview when he said so.
I very much appreciated Kim Mulkey's accomplishments at Baylor and respect her as one of the great WBB coaches ever. But she is wound up tighter than a certain Hollywood star's 7th face-lift. She needed to be the big kahuna and get everything her way. When it became apparent that she wasn't going to get exactly that, she was gone. From her history, when She breaks up, she breaks hard, closes the door and never looks back. This was always going to happen sooner or later.
Robert Wilson
Gracias. I had missed that.
C. Jordan
ALLBEAR said:

LibertyBear
I'm not sure which is more shocking...the fact that this was posted or the fact that there are 4 pages of responses...
bularry
ZachTay said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He just needs a great defensive coach. We have done absolutely nothing to build on since our championship team. And i'm in agreement with those who posted the Big 12 is overrated. Anytime one team dominates (KU) you have an imbalance.
Coach Tang says "Hi".

I'm glad, and impressed, you recognize the program's major turning point. Drew is the rah rah guy....the other coaches run the team. Tang was THAT much of a difference.
No he wasn't....
ALLBEAR
LibertyBear said:

I'm not sure which is more shocking...the fact that this was posted or the fact that there are 4 pages of responses...
Stay on the pay side where it is puppies, and rainbows all day
ALLBEAR
C. Jordan said:

ALLBEAR said:

The pay side is more of your safe space
LIB,MR BEARS
ALLBEAR said:

C. Jordan said:

ALLBEAR said:

The pay side is more of your safe space
Why are you still here
mickeyjoe
Another troll, don't waste your time
TexasScientist
historian said:

Mulkey left because she wanted to. Thus is not a legitimate comparison.
It didn't start out that way. Sometimes an environment is created to force someone to leave.
TexasScientist
Bear8084 said:

TexasScientist said:

No Quarterback said:

Winning a national championship gets you an infinite leash at Baylor. Look at Dave Aranda. One good season out of four, and we're still keeping him even though everyone and their dog knows that he's toast. Drew is an upbeat, positive guy that fits the "Baylor vibe" or whatever you wanna call it. He is a good marketing tool for Baylor, and that's good for donations. Private schools need donations. Ergo, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

not advocating that he get fired, because he would be very difficult to replace.
I don't want to fire him either, but winning national championships didn't save CKM.

I doubt CSD is going to stomp his feet and demand where arenas go and want basketball courts named after him either.
We don't know she did that, but whether she did or didn't, winning championships still didn't save her. It didn't save Art Briles. If any coach gets on the wrong side of the administration, right or wrong, they're not going to fair well. I don't think Drew will end up in that situation. I think he does have a long leash. It's more likely he'll leave on his own volition for a better gig.
Bear8084
TexasScientist said:

Bear8084 said:

TexasScientist said:

No Quarterback said:

Winning a national championship gets you an infinite leash at Baylor. Look at Dave Aranda. One good season out of four, and we're still keeping him even though everyone and their dog knows that he's toast. Drew is an upbeat, positive guy that fits the "Baylor vibe" or whatever you wanna call it. He is a good marketing tool for Baylor, and that's good for donations. Private schools need donations. Ergo, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

not advocating that he get fired, because he would be very difficult to replace.
I don't want to fire him either, but winning national championships didn't save CKM.

I doubt CSD is going to stomp his feet and demand where arenas go and want basketball courts named after him either.
We don't know she did that, but whether she did or didn't, winning championships still didn't save her. It didn't save Art Briles. If any coach gets on the wrong side of the administration, right or wrong, they're not going to fair well. I don't think Drew will end up in that situation. I think he does have a long leash. It's more likely he'll leave on his own volition for a better gig.

Insiders have said otherwise.

And there's not many gigs better than ours outside of blue bloods, and he's given no indication he wants to leave at all. It's more likely he will retire here.
Bear8084
TexasScientist said:

historian said:

It didn't start out that way. Sometimes an environment is created to force someone to leave.

It didn't start out that way because we were in the pits basketball-wise. The environment created was mostly of her own doing.
TWD 1974
TexasScientist said:

Bear8084 said:

TexasScientist said:

No Quarterback said:

It is true, no matter the past success a head coach today is only one ill-considered e-mail from termination, or one DWI where you can't remember what state your were in, or one set of bite marks on a girlfriend...any of these...
bear2be2
TexasScientist said:

historian said:

And sometimes, people (even successful ones) wear out their welcome. While one of the best ever to coach women's basketball, Mulkey is a corrosive force. There's only so much you can take before it starts causing damage.
Porteroso
bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

All it takes is 1 natty and at a school like Baylor,you get lifetime Emeritus Maximus status.
Unless you're an unbearable megalomaniac like Kim Mulkey. As good a coach as she is -- I'd put her in the top three or four all time in her sport -- I'm glad she's someone else's problem now.

Fortunately, Scott Drew is an excellent coach and a wonderful ambassador for our university. The mere thought of pushing him out should be met with ridicule and summarily dismissed.

She didn't get fired though. She wasn't gonna get fired.
Robert Wilson
Porteroso said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

All it takes is 1 natty and at a school like Baylor,you get lifetime Emeritus Maximus status.
Unless you're an unbearable megalomaniac like Kim Mulkey. As good a coach as she is -- I'd put her in the top three or four all time in her sport -- I'm glad she's someone else's problem now.

Fortunately, Scott Drew is an excellent coach and a wonderful ambassador for our university. The mere thought of pushing him out should be met with ridicule and summarily dismissed.

True. I think her relationship with Baylor began to sour when we hung her out to dry during the Briles fiasco. Given the personality of our BoR/Admin following the Briles fiasco, it was bound to keep deteriorating. She appears to be an incredibly difficult person to deal with, especially once she is cross with you. I sure wouldn't want to have to manage a relationship with her, especially an employer/employee relationship.

But she was so good we wouldn't fire her. Both parties likely saw the Baton Rouge maneuver as a great opportunity to end what had become a bad relationship.

But all that said, I think our leadership made the same mistake we made with Briles - not properly evaluating the cost. We believed we could more or less "plug and play" with a new coach. That's not ever true. When you part with Mulkey, you should just assume the cost is that you are no longer going to be a WBB blue blood. And that's a sport where if you aren't in the top 3-4, you are not visible to the country as a whole.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

True. I think her relationship with Baylor began to sour when we hung her out to dry during the Briles fiasco. Given the personality of our BoR/Admin following the Briles fiasco, it was bound to keep deteriorating. She appears to be an incredibly difficult person to deal with, especially once she is cross with you. I sure wouldn't want to have to manage a relationship with her, especially an employer/employee relationship.

But she was so good we wouldn't fire her. Both parties likely saw the Baton Rouge maneuver as a great opportunity to end what had become a bad relationship.

But all that said, I think our leadership made the same mistake we made with Briles - not properly evaluating the cost. We believed we could more or less "plug and play" with a new coach. That's not ever true. When you part with Mulkey, you should just assume the cost is that you are no longer going to be a WBB blue blood. And that's a sport where if you aren't in the top 3-4, you are not visible to the country as a whole.
I don't think your last paragraph is accurate. I think Mack decided to prioritize football and men's basketball in the new college athletics landscape and viewed the Mulkey replacement as an opportunity to right size our salary structure in women's basketball.

I think Mack is perfectly content with our current level of women's basketball success, which means consistent NCAA tournament appearances and semi-regular opportunities at conference championships and second-weekend runs in the tournament.

I'm sure Mack would love to see Collen match Mulkey's success, but I don't think that's the expectation. I think he's content to a have a good coach that's paid well but not exorbitantly who's not a threat to embarrass the university and openly challenge her bosses every time someone puts a microphone in front of her.
BUbearinARK
The correct question isn't how long is Baylors leash on Scott Drew, rather how long is Scott Drew's leash on Baylor
bear2be2
BUbearinARK said:

The correct question isn't how long is Baylors leash on Scott Drew, rather how long is Scott Drew's leash on Baylor
Twenty-one years is a long time. If he doesn't leave now for Kentucky, I don't see him leaving for anywhere.
Bleed Green
bear2be2 said:

BUbearinARK said:

Twenty-one years is a long time. If he doesn't leave now for Kentucky, I don't see him leaving for anywhere.
Agreed! When he didn't leave for Indiana I felt pretty good that he is probably here for good. If he doesn't go to UK then I can't see any other possible move he would make unless he gets sideways with admin or boosters. And the possibility he gets sideways with anyone at Baylor is as close to nil as possible.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

I don't think your last paragraph is accurate. I think Mack decided to prioritize football and men's basketball in the new college athletics landscape and viewed the Mulkey replacement as an opportunity to right size our salary structure in women's basketball.

I think Mack is perfectly content with our current level of women's basketball success, which means consistent NCAA tournament appearances and semi-regular opportunities at conference championships and second-weekend runs in the tournament.

I'm sure Mack would love to see Collen match Mulkey's success, but I don't think that's the expectation. I think he's content to a have a good coach that's paid well but not exorbitantly who's not a threat to embarrass the university and openly challenge her bosses every time someone puts a microphone in front of her.
I think it's nuanced. Mack probably is fine with WBB being less than elite and spending less money on it. I doubt that's what he told his WBB boosters, but it's probably true. I also doubt LSU would trade WBB coaching bargains with us. So everyone probably ended up where they belong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.