How long is Scott Drew's leash?

11,814 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Robert Wilson
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bleed Green said:

So, if I am reading this correctly, some of our fanbase think we should fire a coach who will be in the HOF one day, has taken us to the NCAA Tournament the last 5 times it was held, takes us to the sweet 16 roughly 25% of the time, has a national championship, and is a consensus top 10 coach?

I have long defended this fanbase as better than any other. I will now have to go and apologize to my sip and aggie friends. We have just as many idiots as they do. Some of the comments are absolutely ludicrous.

If you honestly don't want Drew coaching our team then you have absolutely no clue about Baylor and its history, and have little knowledge of how good programs operate. We gave Drew an opportunity when he was young. We allowed him to learn without a whole lot of pressure, and now some of you want to allow another school to reap the benefits. Drew would be unemployed for less than 5 minutes if we let him go. Drew's leash runs out at immoral or felony acts at this point. 10 years from now if we have less than 2 Big 12 titles, 9 tournament appearances, less than 3 sweet 16's and no championships, then maybe we can shorten that leash to have some sort of performance requirement.
First off, what are you doing with Aggie and sip friends. Friend (singular) is okay. But we all know how they get in groups.

Should we now question your judgement as well?
Robert Wilson
Did someone want to fire him? Who?
historian
Drew is not going anywhere and no sane Baylor fan wants him to go anywhere. Anyone who wants him to leave is more likely a troll or delusional other fans (like the Louisville posters) than a Baylor fan.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Porteroso
All it takes is 1 natty and at a school like Baylor,you get lifetime Emeritus Maximus status.
bear2be2
Porteroso said:

All it takes is 1 natty and at a school like Baylor,you get lifetime Emeritus Maximus status.
Unless you're an unbearable megalomaniac like Kim Mulkey. As good a coach as she is -- I'd put her in the top three or four all time in her sport -- I'm glad she's someone else's problem now.

Fortunately, Scott Drew is an excellent coach and a wonderful ambassador for our university. The mere thought of pushing him out should be met with ridicule and summarily dismissed.
Shakesbear
ALLBEAR said:

Really, though. How long is it? We are the most overrated team every year.
I believe it is tethered to Voyager 1
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
EvilTroyAndAbed
Robert Wilson said:

There are a couple on here.

I understand frustration in a one-and-done tournament, but this is why message board warriors don't run athletic programs.
Bear8084
Robert Wilson said:

The OP and 5 others apparently.
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

I understand frustration in a one-and-done tournament, but this is why message board warriors don't run athletic programs.
In fairness, though, a lot of college athletic programs are run by absolute morons.
Bleed Green
Robert Wilson said:

what else happens at the end of a leash?
Robert Wilson
Bleed Green said:

Robert Wilson said:

Poor use of that metaphor
Robert Wilson
Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

I saw him express frustration with early exits. I didn't see him exactly say he wants him fired.

Unsurprising that people are frustrated with that game, and that some goobers would overstate the frustration after a few early exits.

At the same time, histrionics re: people calling for Drew's head are also over the top here. I don't see that really happening.
historian
Hopefully they don't run anything. Can you imagine someone who thinks that way trying to run a corporation? A military operation? An engineering project? Home construction? Or anything else of consequence?

The more I think about it the more I think they are probably trolls.
historian
bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

In fairness, though, a lot of college athletic programs are run by absolute morons.

True but it should be obvious to anyone paying attention that Scott Drew is not one of them.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

I saw him express frustration with early exits. I didn't see him exactly say he wants him fired.

Unsurprising that people are frustrated with that game, and that some goobers would overstate the frustration after a few early exits.

At the same time, histrionics re: people calling for Drew's head are also over the top here. I don't see that really happening.

There's a difference between expressing frustrations with early exits and titling a post "how long is Drew's leash?"

The title implies the thought of "how soon can we talk about making a change at head coach because I'd like to talk about it right now, but I'll phrase it in a way to gauge if other people agree with me."

Otherwise you'd title a thread "I'm getting frustrated with first weekend exits."
Bear8084
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

There's a difference between expressing frustrations with early exits and titling a post "how long is Drew's leash?"

The title implies the thought of "how soon can we talk about making a change at head coach because I'd like to talk about it right now, but I'll phrase it in a way to gauge if other people agree with me."

Otherwise you'd title a thread "I'm getting frustrated with first weekend exits."

*nods*
Robert Wilson
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Saying "how long is his leash" is not the same thing as saying "he should be fired." You're spinning.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Saying "how long is his leash" is not the same thing as saying "he should be fired." You're spinning.

Is there a difference between saying "how long is his leash" and "how hot is his seat?" What would the difference be?
historian
I'm not saying that it's the case here but some people like to go for drama.
Shakesbear
Bleed Green said:

Robert Wilson said:

Technically, you are violently pulled back from whence you came
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Robert Wilson
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Is there a difference between saying "how long is his leash" and "how hot is his seat?" What would the difference be?

Hot seat metaphor makes a lot more sense than leash, but neither one is the same thing as saying I want him fired.
FLBear5630
Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Hot seat metaphor makes a lot more sense than leash, but neither one is the same thing as saying I want him fired.
I would say in Drew's case, it is not hot seat or leash. It is more about his legacy than his job security. Losing too many entry level rounds will tarnish his reputation or his ability to be a diva (don't mean in a negative, but ability to do what he wants, how he wants), but I can't see Baylor getting rid of him.
LIB,MR BEARS
FLBear5630 said:

Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear8084 said:

Robert Wilson said:

I would say in Drew's case, it is not hot seat or leash. It is more about his legacy than his job security. Losing too many entry level rounds will tarnish his reputation or his ability to be a diva (don't mean in a negative, but ability to do what he wants, how he wants), but I can't see Baylor getting rid of him, EVER.

FIFY
Yogi
Dude is going to have his statue on the Brazos forever.
Yogi
Short of some coeds making some uncorroborated allegations of sexual assault by the basketball team, he should be fine.
Robert Wilson
Yogi said:

Concur.
LIB,MR BEARS
Yogi said:

Trophy in one hand and a hat in the other
TWD 1974
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yogi said:

Trophy in one hand and a hat in the other
Not if there is more than one, trophy...
Task Force 2015
There is no leash.
DallasBear9902
Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim each won a single national championship. Izzo hasn't been a legit threat at a Final Four championship in 15 years. Each got to dictate his own exit.

There is no leash. Unless your name is Kentucky, you simply don't run national championship winning coaches out of the program.

ETA: Also, given what a perfect cultural fit CSD is for Baylor, it is just wild to think this is even a topic.
BusyTarpDuster2017
For a team where NONE of the 5 starters played with each other before this season, and 4 out of the 5 weren't even at Baylor, and 2 were freshmen - it was going to be a big challenge for SD and staff. I don't think the coaches did too bad of a job considering that, though I understand why SD is held to a higher standard and why people expect more from him. Regardless, it speaks to the benefit of continuity within the program as opposed to high turnover from the portal and immature one and dones.
TWD 1974
DallasBear9902 said:

Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim each won a single national championship. Izzo hasn't been a legit threat at a Final Four championship in 15 years. Each got to dictate his own exit.

There is no leash. Unless your name is Kentucky, you simply don't run national championship winning coaches out of the program.

ETA: Also, given what a perfect cultural fit CSD is for Baylor, it is just wild to think this is even a topic.
It's only an issue for folks who registered on this site 2 months ago. Any actual Baylor Basketball fan who has been a sentient being the past 10-20 years would agree that Scott Drew has his job for as long as he wants it.
I will add, I in no way think he is done. He will be cutting down nets again in the future. Bank on it.
Stefano DiMera
I'm just glad Mulkey and her historonics didn't win out because I can see a not too alternate universe where Drew would have bolted for Indiana Michigan or Louisville if he had to deal with her long term
TexasScientist
No Quarterback said:

Winning a national championship gets you an infinite leash at Baylor. Look at Dave Aranda. One good season out of four, and we're still keeping him even though everyone and their dog knows that he's toast. Drew is an upbeat, positive guy that fits the "Baylor vibe" or whatever you wanna call it. He is a good marketing tool for Baylor, and that's good for donations. Private schools need donations. Ergo, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

not advocating that he get fired, because he would be very difficult to replace.
I don't want to fire him either, but winning national championships didn't save CKM.
Bear8084
TexasScientist said:

No Quarterback said:

Winning a national championship gets you an infinite leash at Baylor. Look at Dave Aranda. One good season out of four, and we're still keeping him even though everyone and their dog knows that he's toast. Drew is an upbeat, positive guy that fits the "Baylor vibe" or whatever you wanna call it. He is a good marketing tool for Baylor, and that's good for donations. Private schools need donations. Ergo, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

not advocating that he get fired, because he would be very difficult to replace.
I don't want to fire him either, but winning national championships didn't save CKM.

I doubt CSD is going to stomp his feet and demand where arenas go and want basketball courts named after him either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.