Walter

6,108 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Guitarbiscuit
Bearsalwayswin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those who want Walter gone please go watch his postgame last night. That man is a bear through and through
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
This one is rough
I feel for him

IvanBear
Would be amazing if he realized he's not going to get opportunities at the next level right now unless he elevates his game. If he came back it would be awesome. I know he won't though.
boognish_bear
I haven't seen anyone here saying they want to see him gone. I've seen the opposite....wanting him back.
GoodOleBaylorLine
There have been comments in game threads. Chalk it up to frustration. No one actually wants him gone or questions his commitment to the team
IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

I haven't seen anyone here saying they want to see him gone. I've seen the opposite....wanting him back.
Yeah the peak frustration with him is, he's only here one year. If he was a multi year player it would be hard to criticize this season of his, the fact this is his only season with us is what is causing the frustration.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Same. I think everyone respects what Ja'Kobe brought as a teammate and competitor. The frustration was always with where in his development process we were getting him and the inconsistency that comes with that.

There's not a Baylor fan here who wouldn't be thrilled if he announced today he was coming back for a sophomore season. That's not going to happen, but everyone would welcome him back with open arms.
Robert Wilson
I really enjoyed watching that kid ratchet up his energy / effort / hustle as the season went on. In some early games, I thought he had a little too much AAU ball in his system. By mid-season, he was throwing his body around, diving on loose balls, taking charges - just flat getting after it. Lots of kids who hear that much of their own press wouldn't give you that. Was fun to watch. Hate it that we are losing him so soon, but it is what it is.
BigGameBaylorBear
boognish_bear said:

I think most people on these boards have a better understanding of the sport

I can't tell you how many casuals I follow on instagram that were bashing him
boognish_bear
BigGameBaylorBear said:

boognish_bear said:

That's really disappointing....but not surprising with social media I guess.
IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

boognish_bear said:

It's a little hard to blame a causal though, he's an overhyped player. He hardly ever lived up to his billing, and while he was key in keeping us in some big games it's hard to point to a performance of his that pushed us over the top in a big game. Only Auburn comes to mind. Instead casuals tune in see Fran talk about how he's a top ten draft pick and see a guy shooting sub 30% from 3.

I can't remember the last time the best freshman in the big twelve was shut out of the all conference roster.

His attitude should never be called into doubt but anyone thinking he lived to to his billing is crazy. I think that's where some of the online hate on say Instagram comes for. And he deserves a lot of flack for his defense and shot decision making but not him personally, personally he seems like one of the greats it sucks one of our highest character teams ever was one of our most disappointing teams.
LIB,MR BEARS
IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

boognish_bear said:

It's a little hard to blame a causal though, he's an overhyped player. He hardly ever lived up to his billing, and while he was key in keeping us in some big games it's hard to point to a performance of his that pushed us over the top in a big game. Only Auburn comes to mind. Instead casuals tune in see Fran talk about how he's a top ten draft pick and see a guy shooting sub 30% from 3.

I can't remember the last time the best freshman in the big twelve was shut out of the all conference roster.

His attitude should never be called into doubt but anyone thinking he lived to to his billing is crazy. I think that's where some of the online hate on say Instagram comes for. And he deserves a lot of flack for his defense and shot decision making but not him personally, personally he seems like one of the greats it sucks one of our highest character teams ever was one of our most disappointing teams.
anyone expecting a freshman to not have freshman moments is a fool
Crawfoso1973
He never took bad shots, they just didn't drop for him. Never once did he try to force anything or play hero ball.
Johnny Bear
IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Yeah the peak frustration with him is, he's only here one year. If he was a multi year player it would be hard to criticize this season of his, the fact this is his only season with us is what is causing the frustration.

There is that and given we've now had 3 straight seasons of being a 3 seed or higher and not surviving the first weekend of The Tournament, there is cumulative mounting frustration with the one and dones we've had not fully living up to the hype and expectation levels for their one season with us. Granted the expectation level is probably unrealistic and unfair for the most part as Kevin Durant type one and dones are extremely rare to say the least, but it's hard as a fan to not put a lot of hope that these guys will be a consistent star for the one season we have them.
True Grit
Just an observation because I agree with you, but even Durant lost in the 2nd Round to USC back in 2007.
bear2be2
True Grit said:

Just an observation because I agree with you, but even Durant lost in the 2nd Round to USC back in 2007.
Durant, Michael Beasley and Cade Cunningham all lost in the Round of 32, and Trae Young didn't even make it out of the first round.

None of the Big 12's best one-and-done freshmen have done much in March.
parch
Every mock draft I've seen as of today has him floating somewhere between pick 8-15 in the 2024 draft. As much as I think he could use another year of development, in terms of his future he would be a moron to stay.

I feel the opposite about Missi. He's a late first round projection right now, but he's still only 19 and extremely raw. If he keeps developing at pace and stuck around another year, he could get lottery pick $ in 2025. I'm sure he'll go too, but he shouldn't.
IvanBear
Crawfoso1973 said:

He never took bad shots, they just didn't drop for him. Never once did he try to force anything or play hero ball.
He shot 29% from three in conference play. Early on I would agree he didnt' try to force things, and only a handful of games he really tried to force shots when he shouldn't have. His real problem was he was dreadful at shot selection, which meant he took a lot of bad shots. Many times he passed on taking the assisted 3 attempt instead of catching the ball dribbling around and then taking a contested three.

It also got to the point near the end of the season people stopped respecting him as a 3 point shooter. Which is why he got a lot of open looks, his shot wasn't falling bait him into taking a shot he is most likely going to miss. He took a lot of 3's he should have been driving to the basket instead to try and draw contact or developing a mid range jumper.

I appreciate he wasn't a ball hog like George, but he unfortunately became the same kind of player a volume shooter, but with a worse shooting percentage. Less of his shots were forced, but also less of his shots went down, so it's hard to argue it was better.

And here's the problem with all of this, the script was 100% different when he was not playing a power conference team. He was a significantly worse player when real defensive pressure was applied to him as opposed to mid major level pressure. So it's hard to argue that his shooting woes were his shot just turning bad. Because it sure didn't look bad against Colgate at the end of the season, the level of competition really played a factor in his ability to shoot.

I do appreciate he largely avoided playing hero ball. He is very much a team player.
Space Cutter
Jakobe Walter's doesn't deserve this hate. He's been an absolute beast on the court. His play all year has been amazing. His intensity in every game was outstanding. Baylor would be more than blessed if he stayed.

Thank you Ja'Kobe for a great season!
Guitarbiscuit
I don't think anyone hates Walter. What I don't like is continually recruiting players who leave after one year. This type of situation very rarely produces deep tournament runs, regardless of who the freshman is. If anyone is to blame, it is Hall Of Fame coach Scott Drew for not being more developmentally focused. As long as he relies on 2 freshman starters every year, there is a huge probability of no deep runs.
TWD 1974
True Grit said:

My point exactly. Kevin Durant was far and away the best offensive player I ever saw as a Freshman (actually before that year--watch his McDonalds Game out of HS). He is about the same defensively now as then. The problem isn't the Freshman players, it is teams relying way too much on the Freshman to carry them. Texas relied on Durant so much I thought some of his teammates should have paid admission.
bear2be2
Space Cutter said:

Jakobe Walter's doesn't deserve this hate. He's been an absolute beast on the court. His play all year has been amazing. His intensity in every game was outstanding. Baylor would be more than blessed if he stayed.

Thank you Ja'Kobe for a great season!
I grow weary of the hyperbole on both sides. Crawfoso saying he never took a bad shot, you calling his play all year amazing. You're overstating your case just as badly as those who do nothing but trash the kid.

Ja'Kobe was a good, solid, team-first player for us this year who always played with effort and heart. But he also shot under 34 percent from the field and 29 percent from 3 through Big 12 play and was woeful at times on defense. There is no objective measure by which his performance warrants such effusive praise.

I would love to have Walter back because he would be a much better player in Year 2 than he was in Year 1. But that's not going to happen. So we can only judge him by what he gave us, which was a solid, but frustrating freshman season that resulted in a another early tournament exit.

It's OK to be objective. Neither hate nor boundless praise are necessary or warranted in this case -- or most others, for that matter.
Johnny Bear
TWD 1974 said:

True Grit said:

My point exactly. Kevin Durant was far and away the best offensive player I ever saw as a Freshman (actually before that year--watch his McDonalds Game out of HS). He is about the same defensively now as then. The problem isn't the Freshman players, it is teams relying way too much on the Freshman to carry them. Texas relied on Durant so much I thought some of his teammates should have paid admission.

Perhaps his weakest half of basketball that season was the first half of the big 12 tourney quarterfinal game we played against the Longhorns. He was a virtual no-show for that half and we went to the locker room with a big lead - almost to the point of appearing to have the game already wrapped up at that point. Boy, did he ever flip the switch in the second half, however, and he ended up virtually single-handedly winning the game for the whorns in the end.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

TWD 1974 said:

True Grit said:

Perhaps his weakest half of basketball that season was the first half of the big 12 tourney quarterfinal game we played against the Longhorns. He was a virtual no-show for that half and we went to the locker room with a big lead - almost to the point of appearing to have the game already wrapped up at that point. Boy, did he ever flip the switch in the second half, however, and he ended up virtually single-handedly winning the game for the whorns in the end.

I remember that game. Mamadou went nuts, finishing with 14 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks. It was the best game he played in his life.

I was hoping it would be a sign of things to come. But unfortunately, it was just a fun flash in the pan.
boognish_bear
parch said:

Every mock draft I've seen as of today has him floating somewhere between pick 8-15 in the 2024 draft. As much as I think he could use another year of development, in terms of his future he would be a moron to stay.

I feel the opposite about Missi. He's a late first round projection right now, but he's still only 19 and extremely raw. If he keeps developing at pace and stuck around another year, he could get lottery pick $ in 2025. I'm sure he'll go too, but he shouldn't.

FWIW

ScottS
I hope they all stay
bexar country
Anyone who wants him gone needs to be gone from this board. Great kid and a hard worker, Bear for life. Come to the Spurs so I can see you play 40 games
Big12Fan2024
Great kid, time to move on. VJ Edgecombe is next and he'll be just like Keyonte and Jakobe meaning he'll have a productive year but nowhere near what everyone expects of him because they will see the 5 star and think that means he's a polished product. None of these 5 stars is ever gonna be finished products so anyone who thinks getting a 5 star is the single factor that will propel Baylor to any championship conference or otherwise doesn't understand the difference between potential and ability now. They all may be great for an NBA team in 4 years but the 1 year they have with us will be nothing above good, which is fine as long as you set your expectations for that and/or Drew surrounds them with mature productive players who can cover for the erratic production you can expect from a 1 year 5 star.

I liked Jakobe and I liked Keyonte. I'm sure I will feel the same about VJ because Drew mainly recruits not only good basketball players but also high quality kids. I'll be cheering for all of them wherever they end up in professional basketball.
Fre3dombear
IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Likely it's just people venting frustration that a guy were renting for a year when, in the 8 or so games we lost by 5 or less points, went 4/15 or so from the floor give or take

Sure it can't be blamed jist on him and he did many things amazingly well. His stats for a freshman weren't bad but few freshman are gonna get that many shots off just because of potential and he benefitted from chucking up a ton of shots.

I'd have never guessed he'd have bricked us out of a sweet 16 basically just from the free throw line (not that that the only reason but if he makes 83% of his shots when it mattered most from the line, likely Clemson buckles and we win.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Likely it's just people venting frustration that a guy were renting for a year when, in the 8 or so games we lost by 5 or less points, went 4/15 or so from the floor give or take

Sure it can't be blamed jist on him and he did many things amazingly well. His stats for a freshman weren't bad but few freshman are gonna get that many shots off just because of potential and he benefitted from chucking up a ton of shots.

I'd have never guessed he'd have bricked us out of a sweet 16 basically just from the free throw line (not that that the only reason but if he makes 83% of his shots when it mattered most from the line, likely Clemson buckles and we win.
If we could have gotten it to overtime, Clemson was serious foul trouble. It's a shame we shot free throws as poorly as we did, but pressure free throws were an issue for this team all year.
BusyTarpDuster2017
A kid just like Jakobe who maybe isn't projected as highly thus he stays four years, is EXACTLY who I want at Baylor. I really would have loved to watch him develop and progress into something great while he plays for us, rather than while he's a pro somewhere else. That's one of the joys of watching your college basketball team, and the one and done system takes it away. So does the portal for one year transfer players, for that matter.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

A kid just like Jakobe who maybe isn't projected as highly thus he stays four years, is EXACTLY who I want at Baylor. I really would have loved to watch him develop and progress into something great while he plays for us, rather than while he's a pro somewhere else. That's one of the joys of watching your college basketball team, and the one and done system takes it away. So does the portal for one year transfer players, for that matter.

We had that with T. Prince and we lost in the first round to Yale and Georgia State. Just getting 4-year players doesn't automatically mean we go to the Final Four.
Crawfoso1973
Exactly. And to piggyback off of this point, we are not in 2015 anymore but some posters on here seem to feel we still are. Really not possible to build rosters through redshirts and developmental players like we built our Natty team, due to the transfer portal and NIL. Those players will simply leave. Hell, we couldn't even get Grimes to finish off the current year. And even if we do keep developmental players from leaving, the bust rate on them is still high and they end up wasting roster spots the entire time they are here (e.g. Turner, Jordan and Loveday, Zach).
Crawfoso1973
Big12Fan2024 said:

Great kid, time to move on. VJ Edgecombe is next and he'll be just like Keyonte and Jakobe meaning he'll have a productive year but nowhere near what everyone expects of him because they will see the 5 star and think that means he's a polished product. None of these 5 stars is ever gonna be finished products so anyone who thinks getting a 5 star is the single factor that will propel Baylor to any championship conference or otherwise doesn't understand the difference between potential and ability now. They all may be great for an NBA team in 4 years but the 1 year they have with us will be nothing above good, which is fine as long as you set your expectations for that and/or Drew surrounds them with mature productive players who can cover for the erratic production you can expect from a 1 year 5 star.

I liked Jakobe and I liked Keyonte. I'm sure I will feel the same about VJ because Drew mainly recruits not only good basketball players but also high quality kids. I'll be cheering for all of them wherever they end up in professional basketball.
Expectations are key. Anyone expecting one of these freshmen to carry the team have their expectations way out of wack. The fault is not with the kids but the unrealistic expectations placed upon them. I don't expect Edge to come in next year and dominate college basketball, but many people will demand perfection from him and will bash him when he falls short of their wildly unrealistic expectations.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.