Just saw a report that SMU is targeting USC coach for vacancy.

1,367 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by GoodOleBaylorLine
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quite ambitious. If SMU gets a bigger splash hire than conference mate Louisville, that would be funny. That said the bigger splash doesn't necessarily mean better results than Louisville's hire.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Quite ambitious. If SMU gets a bigger splash hire than conference mate Louisville, that would be funny. That said the bigger splash doesn't necessarily mean better results than Louisville's hire.
The more I look at the Louisville hire the more I think they probably did alright. Kelsey was successful at both Winthrop and College of Charleston, leading the two to a combined six regular season championships, five tournament championships and four NCAA tournament appearances (would have been five if not for COVID in 2020).

He's clearly a good coach. But with the names they were throwing out at the beginning of their search, they set themselves up for disappointment.
PartyBear
Now I have seen a report that SMU has in fact poached USC's HC.
Mitch Henessey
Enfield bailed before the water around him started to boil. If he hadn't absolutely crapped the bed at USC this year, no way he makes this jump. Same thing Shaka Smart did at Texas.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

Enfield bailed before the water around him started to boil. If he hadn't absolutely crapped the bed at USC this year, no way he makes this jump. Same thing Shaka Smart did at Texas.
I know Cronin was outspoken against UCLA's move to the Big Ten. That may have played a factor for Enfield as well. That's going to be a whole lot of cross-country travel for USC going forward.
Mitch Henessey
bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I know Cronin was outspoken against UCLA's move to the Big Ten. That may have played a factor for Enfield as well. That's going to be a whole lot of cross-country travel for USC going forward.
That was probably a minor factor, I would imagine. The main one is that he had DJ Rodman, Bronny James, and Isaiah Collier, who was widely projected as the #1 pick in the NBA Draft this June, and finished 9th in a weak Pac 12 and under .500 overall.

LeBron's kid averaging 6ppg under him may have sealed the deal on any more big-time talents considering taking their talents to South Central LA for a while.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

That was probably a minor factor, I would imagine. The main one is that he had DJ Rodman, Bronny James, and Isaiah Collier, who was widely projected as the #1 pick in the NBA Draft this June, and finished 9th in a weak Pac 12 and under .500 overall.

LeBron's kid averaging 6ppg under him may have sealed the deal on any more big-time talents considering taking their talents to South Central LA for a while.
LeBron's kid also opened his career there with a cardiac event that put his career in jeopardy. Anyone judging Enfield on one season is stupid. And it's not like USC basketball has a whole lot of tradition. That program has been pretty mediocre forever.

But Enfield was successful before USC and he was successful at USC. My guess is he'll be successful after USC as well. He's been there 11 years. It may just be time for a change.
Mitch Henessey
bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

LeBron's kid also opened his career there with a cardiac event that put his career in jeopardy. Anyone judging Enfield on one season is stupid. And it's not like USC basketball has a whole lot of tradition. That program has been pretty mediocre forever.

But Enfield was successful before USC and he was successful at USC. My guess is he'll be successful after USC as well. He's been there 11 years. It may just be time for a change.
He had 5 NCAA tourney appearances and 4 sub-.500 seasons. He did have one Elite 8, but let's not act like he was John Wooden there. He's a decent coach who fielded decent results, overall.
vanillabryce
Enfield has had lots of talent come through, with mediocre results. Bronny's health had zero impact. He was overrated as a recruit due to his father. Very unfair to him, but he's also benefitted from it via NIL.

Emfield at SMU will be interesting. Most of all it's gonna be interesting to see SMU in a ravaged ACC-lite 4 years from now.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

He had 5 NCAA tourney appearances and 4 sub-.500 seasons. He did have one Elite 8, but let's not act like he was John Wooden there. He's a decent coach who fielded decent results, overall.
No one said he's John Wooden. But his winning percentage at USC (.599) is the third-highest in the 118-year history of that program and is well above the program's all-time win percentage of .577. He got off to a slow start there because he inherited a poor product, but he had turned a mid-as-hell program into a consistent tournament team, topping 20 wins in seven of his final nine seasons there, including four of the five highest win totals in that program's history.

There is no objective measure by which Enfield was anything but successful at USC. A bad year this year doesn't change that. If he was really under heat because of his performance this year, USC's administration and fans are morons. The eight-year stretch before this season was the greatest in that program's history -- and by a long shot.
PartyBear
It is one person's speculation but I just saw a little story mentioning Jamie Dixon as one of the top candidates to replace Enfield.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

It is one person's speculation but I just saw a little story mentioning Jamie Dixon as one of the top candidates to replace Enfield.
He was tabbed to take the UCLA job before Cronin was hired, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember why that fell through.
Mitch Henessey
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

He was tabbed to take the UCLA job before Cronin was hired, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember why that fell through.
UCLA couldn't afford his buyout, and TCU wouldn't budge on it, despite Dixon telling the TCU administration he wanted out.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

UCLA couldn't afford his buyout, and TCU wouldn't budge on it, despite Dixon telling the TCU administration he wanted out.
I remembered it being something like that, but I was fuzzy on the specifics. That worked out pretty well for both programs honestly.
GoodOleBaylorLine

Andy Enfield announced as SMU's new men's basketball coach - Yahoo Sports

Looks like a done deal. Just a weird situation all the way around.
boykin_spaniel
You are correct me thinks. A save face for both programs. Holgorsen to Houston also similar
GoodOleBaylorLine
Like a poor man's Shaka to Marquette
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.