Sweet 16 Friday night games

4,912 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by historian
Quinton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big12Fan2024
During the Purdue broadcast they said Purdue's coach attributed their improvement in 3 point shooting to attending a coaching clinic and getting advice from Baylor's coaching staff on how much time, drills, etc. should be spent on 3 point shooting, which is pretty high praise. Is there any way we could get our coaching staff to attend a coaching clinic on defense led by Houston's staff this off season?
Quinton
Quinton
They are a borderline tournament team without Shead. The mentality is strong but eventually Duke will open up. They'll have to find a way to generate offense without him.

Outside of Purdue, they are the most reliant on one player per the metrics this board loves.
Quinton
bear2be2
Quinton said:

They are a borderline tournament team without Shead. The mentality is strong but eventually Duke will open up. They'll have to find a way to generate offense without him.

Outside of Purdue, they are the most reliant on one player per the metrics this board loves.

Like I said when he went down, I think Houston is cooked without Shead. Their only hope is that Cryer and/or Sharp go nuts.

It will help their offense to get Roberts back on the floor in the second half, though. Francis, God bless him, plays really hard, but he is devoid of offensive skill.
historian
Yes. Cryer's struggled in this game reminds me of some of the struggles he had at Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Quinton
They can still win. They play hard but they are a clear underdog now. Duke still has to find offense. If they do that's game.

Fortunately they would get NC State if they pulled it off. Only remaining team in the field they could beat without him.
historian
Houston must make free throws, rebound, and play cleanly (no fouls).
historian
Tied at 23
historian
I think that was the first three pointer of the night
bear2be2
Quinton said:

They can still win. They play hard but they are a clear underdog now. Duke still has to find offense. If they do that's game.

Fortunately they would get NC State if they pulled it off. Only remaining team in the field they could beat without him.
Without Shead, they have no point guard. Literally every possession is a battle.

They're still excellent defensively, so they have a chance, but they're way too isolation dependent on the offensive end now, and Cryer's not up to that task.
bear2be2
Cryer has scored five straight, though. He and Sharp need to be really good for them to win.
bear2be2
Francis is so bad offensively.
Quinton
Cryer carrying them right now. See if it can last
historian
That does not seem likely. Its a big deal every time Houston does something. Everything seems to be easy for Duke now. They have all the momentum.
Mitch Henessey
bear2be2 said:

Most of UH's players are very one-dimensional on offense. Francis's one dimension is offensive rebounding.

Shead being a transcendent college player has papered over a lot of their flaws.
historian
Too much ball movement is causing some of these turnovers
historian
If Houston is not careful Duke is just gonna run away with this
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

Most of UH's players are very one-dimensional on offense. Francis's one dimension is offensive rebounding.

Shead being a transcendent college player has papered over a lot of their flaws.
They've got some weapons. Roberts is a solid offensive big, and Cryer and Sharp are good.

But Shead, like RayJ for us, is their only creator. Without him, their offensive flow disappears.
Quinton
historian said:

That does not seem likely. Its a big deal every time Houston does something. Everything seems to be easy for Duke now. They have all the momentum.

That 3 by whoever that was saved them. It was over had he missed that. Still probably too much but possible. If the leads gets to 7+ it's over. They've held it off so far
TechDawgMc
Jorkel said:

Jack Bauer said:

boognish_bear said:

What an unbelievable run NC St is on.
8 straight wins!

5-0 in ACC Tournament
3-0 in NCAA tournament

Reminds me of a certain Uconn team that wasn't going to make the tournament but then won 5 straight in the big east tourney, got a bid then won the whole damn thing
There was a certain NC State team that did that as well, just a bit longer ago. Even beat Houston in the final. That would be some interesting Deja vu
bear2be2
Roberts is eating Filipowski up on these high post isolations.

But that was a huge shot by Filipowski on the other end. He was well guarded and hit nothing but net.
historian
Houston is playing tough and Duke players may get into some foul trouble. That could haul out the Cougars some.
bear2be2
historian said:

Houston is playing tough and Duke players may get into some foul trouble. That could haul out the Cougars some.
I love how they're attacking Duke's bigs. They just picked up the fourth on Young and the third on Filipowski.

They're doing what we so often fail/refuse to do -- going straight at and attacking vulnerable defenders.
historian
Exactly. They still have a chance to win this game because of it.
bear2be2
historian said:

Exactly. They still have a chance to win this game because of it.
They're a different offensive team with Roberts on the floor. He's just so much more skilled and capable on that end than Francis.
historian
I would love to see this guy foul out
Big12Fan2024
UH just got Baylored. By the very definition that is an offensive charge on Filipowski by lowering his shoulder into the defender. It would have been his 4th. Instead he gets the basket and a FT.
bear2be2
historian said:

I would love to see this guy foul out
Filipowski is carrying Duke right now. They need to draw his fourth foul and take away some of his aggression.
historian
Cryer!!
bear2be2
I really like this Houston team. It's a likeable group that's easy to root for.

You may not like their style, but they play with tremendous effort and heart.
bear2be2
Bad turnover there by Cryer.

He does too much dribbling into crowds.
Big12Fan2024
If Shead, Roberts and Cryer all decide to come back for Year 5 then UH basically gets back this entire starting 5 next year don't they?
Quinton
Duke choking, that would have been game. 6 is literally all it would take and just foolish mistakes on every possession. Cryer and Roberts still have an outside shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.