Platform for JOY

2,023 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of the great things about Drew is the Culture of Joy he has built into the program.
I noticed this past season, during press conferences, he was always thankful for the platform provided.

Where is the better, not bigger, Platform for JOY? Is it Kentucky or Baylor?

A Baptist school provides a great platform for JOY. But, a voice in the wilderness of a blue -blood, state-run college basketball program can do that as well - especially when swimming against the current of a secular university.

Drew has made several statements over the years that boil down to sharing the gospel being bigger than wins and losses.

Tang has set a great example of how an outspoken, Christian, coach, at a state school, can change the culture.

Drew will go or stay based on his calling, based on what school will provide a better Platform for JOY.

NIL is a huge part of that platform, as is W/Ls. The paycheck, I don't think as much.

Selfishly, I want him to stay at Baylor. But, he will be where he needs to be.
LIB,MR BEARS
EvilTroyAndAbed
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Drew has made several statements over the years that boil down to sharing the gospel being bigger than wins and losses.
He says that at Kentucky, and they'll tar and feather him.
contrario
Assuming the team doesn't completely tank or have some crazy scandal, Drew is a legend and has job security for life at Baylor. He will have a building/court/practice facility/street named after him and a statue. If he goes to Kentucky, he'll probably have a job for 5-10 years at most and will age 20 years in that time from the stress. He has the potential to be very successful there because he is a great coach and he could become a legend there as well, but the margin for error is so slim there.

I understand the appeal of taking a job like Kentucky, and if he ends up taking it, I wouldn't blame him, but I just don't see him making the move based on his career at Baylor. We should know more in a day or two.
LIB,MR BEARS
contrario said:

Assuming the team doesn't completely tank or have some crazy scandal, Drew is a legend and has job security for life at Baylor. He will have a building/court/practice facility/street named after him and a statue. If he goes to Kentucky, he'll probably have a job for 5-10 years at most and will age 20 years in that time from the stress. He has the potential to be very successful there because he is a great coach and he could become a legend there as well, but the margin for error is so slim there.

I understand the appeal of taking a job like Kentucky, and if he ends up taking it, I wouldn't blame him, but I just don't see him making the move based on his career at Baylor. We should know more in a day or two.
I don't think a building, a court, a statue, a street or anything else akin to those things will have any bearing on his decision.

Listen to point 1 in the Darby Brown video.
LIB,MR BEARS
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

that would be the voice crying out in the wilderness.

Drew is not about his will but HIS will.
Fre3dombear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Maybe he believes his platform at Kentucky will be so much larger. 3,500,000 views says so

People believe he can't say those things at Kentucky but what if he can? I dint think it's Biden / Obama country is it?
EvilTroyAndAbed
Fre3dombear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Maybe he believes his platform at Kentucky will be so much larger. 3,500,000 views says so

People believe he can't say those things at Kentucky but what if he can? I dint think it's Biden / Obama country is it?

If you're gonna make this about politics, some of the most devout Christians I know are on the left side of the aisle. You think Trump is a devout Christian?

The point I'm making is those basketball fans care about winning first, second and last. They don't care about making boys into great men. They want to win, period.
Fre3dombear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Fre3dombear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

If you're gonna make this about politics, some of the most devout Christians I know are on the left side of the aisle. You think Trump is a devout Christian?

The point I'm making is those basketball fans care about winning first, second and last. They don't care about making boys into great men. They want to win, period.

Hard to be a Christian and support the slaughter of 100,000,000+ babies but we all rationalize things to one degree or another

Very few would argue a culture of JOY is a Democrat platform but point being he may 100x his megaphone there in Kentucky vs the poors at tiny baylor

I guess we'll see if he holds hands and prays after games. I bet he does with Egecrome etc

And who cares if trump is a devout Christian. You think Obama or Biden are? You know how devout any of them are? I don't I only know Obama spoke of his faith that wasn't Christian from his own words. Beyond that no clue and don't care
Daveisabovereproach
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

He could bow down and worship Allah and no one would care as long as he wins.
EvilTroyAndAbed
No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I agree.
PartyBear
No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wins by their standards. This season at Baylor would put him on the hot seat there.
IvanBear
No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yeah but Kentucky's administration will really enjoy the ACLU lawsuit when he baptizes a player on his team personally.
Jorkel
If he is the man we believe he is, he will figure out how to bring and adjust his culture of JOY to fit where he is.
texillian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

One of the great things about Drew is the Culture of Joy he has built into the program.
I noticed this past season, during press conferences, he was always thankful for the platform provided.

Where is the better, not bigger, Platform for JOY? Is it Kentucky or Baylor?

A Baptist school provides a great platform for JOY. But, a voice in the wilderness of a blue -blood, state-run college basketball program can do that as well - especially when swimming against the current of a secular university.

Tang has set a great example of how an outspoken, Christian, coach, at a state school, can change the culture.

Drew will go or stay based on his calling, based on what school will provide a better Platform for JOY.

NIL is a huge part of that platform, as is W/Ls. The paycheck, I don't think as much.

Selfishly, I want him to stay at Baylor. But, he will be where he needs to be.
I had this same sort of thought overnight.

Selfishly I definitely want him to remain at Baylor.

The Gospel and the advancement of the Kingdom is always bigger than our hobbies and pet interests.

Scott Drew seems fully onboard on with that line of thinking.

chukronos
I don't see the benefit of going to Kentucky. There's no advantage over what he is doing here.
So, IMHO, it comes down to money. If they double his salary, it'd be hard to turn that down.
Bleed Green
Jesus only took on 12 guys at a time. The idea of a larger platform is not really biblical. Paul is our main biblical example of spreading the gospel. Paul didn't look to influence 1000's at a time. He went around to small groups and taught them how to follow Christ. Scott's influence will be to the team and staff. Those things are the same no matter where he goes. And I know regardless of where he is he will be pouring into those people and pushing them deeper in their relationship with their Creator. If he goes to UK and gets run out for that, he will leave with honor and be just fine.
LIB,MR BEARS
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Fre3dombear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That sounds like a field ready for harvest
LIB,MR BEARS
It's easier to preach in Waco Texas than it is in China.

Waco Texas doesn't have a lot of missionaries. China does.

Coaching basketball provides a platform for Drew
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.