How powerful is it to tell recruits "come play for the guy that turned down Kentucky"

2,865 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by historian
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hmmmmm
IvanBear
It means less these days, NIL talks way more.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I don't think players care about that.
whitetrash
Kentucky will say "we never offered"
gobears20
Staff
whitetrash said:

lol Going full Aggy
GoodOleBaylorLine
Not very. Why do they care
ABC BEAR
gobears20 said:

whitetrash said:

lol Going full Aggy
Aggy got a coach from Kentucky once...before losing him to Alabama.
drahthaar
Not as powerful as saying, "Come play for me at Kentucky."
Jorkel
With a big enough NIL package…Kentucky who?

That being said..high profile players at Kentucky are celebs and the amount of support and NIL endorsement deals are probably hot.
Big12Fan2024
My cousin was a Top 50 recruit less than a decade ago and he continually tells me recruits don't think the way most fans do. I think this is a good example of that. Recruits don't care about that kind of stuff. Most have managers now and want to know how they can make bank.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Big12Fan2024 said:

My cousin was a Top 50 recruit less than a decade ago and he continually tells me recruits don't think the way most fans do. I think this is a good example of that. Recruits don't care about that kind of stuff. Most have managers now and want to know how they can make bank.

And get to the Association.
PartyBear
We hired a coach HC away from UK about 9 months before we hired Drew.
cowboycwr
These days things like that, academic ratings, campus life, location and even amount the program is winning is not as meaningful if the NIL deal is enough.
ScottS
We're about to find out
bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

These days things like that, academic ratings, campus life, location and even amount the program is winning is not as meaningful if the NIL deal is NOT enough.
Fixed it for you.

Those are nice perks that could help sway a player if the NIL offer is good. They mean nothing if it's not.
BaylorLit 01
Drew wants a school that gives him free rein to treat the basketball team like a Sunday school class. A public school isn't going to cool with faculty led Bible studies, prayer, and team chaplains pushing Christianity.
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

These days things like that, academic ratings, campus life, location and even amount the program is winning is not as meaningful if the NIL deal is NOT enough.
Fixed it for you.

Those are nice perks that could help sway a player if the NIL offer is good. They mean nothing if it's not.
No it was right the first time.

Your second sentence is repeating what I just said.

If the NIL offer is enough at _____ school then they will go there. NO matter the ranking of academics, campus life, etc.

If you have two schools competting for a player and one school is selling academics, location, campus life, last years success, history, etc. and the other school is holding a bunch of money in front of the player the player is going to see $$$$$$ and choose that school.

bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

Fixed it for you.

No it was right the first time.

Your second sentence is repeating what I just said.

If the NIL offer is enough at _____ school then they will go there. NO matter the ranking of academics, campus life, etc.

If you have two schools competting for a player and one school is selling academics, location, campus life, last years success, history, etc. and the other school is holding a bunch of money in front of the player the player is going to see $$$$$$ and choose that school.

The NIL offer will usually be enough at more than one place. It's like any other professional contract negotiation. Once the money part is an acceptable range, you start looking at other factors to make your decision.

If the money part is not in an acceptable range, none of the other factors matter.

But we're both essentially saying the same thing in different ways. Money will always be the first consideration now. You have to get that part right for any of the other traditional perks to have any influence at all.
thales
i doubt recruits think the way fans do, especially in the nil era
historian
BaylorLit 01 said:

Drew wants a school that gives him free rein to treat the basketball team like a Sunday school class. A public school isn't going to cool with faculty led Bible studies, prayer, and team chaplains pushing Christianity.

That's a very harsh, narrow minded way to look at it and I doubt it's a viewpoint shared by players like Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague, Mark Vital, Adam Flagler, Everyday Jon, or almost any others. This looks like it came from someone who really hates God.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BaylorLit 01
historian said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

That's a very harsh, narrow minded way to look at it and I doubt it's a viewpoint shared by players like Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague, Mark Vital, Adam Flagler, Everyday Jon, or almost any others. This looks like it came from someone who really hates God.

Quite the leap. Believing religion is private and not something to push on ppl, especially subordinates, makes me a God hater. Now, which one of us is narrow minded, again?!
ScottS
I think it will help alot
Edmond Bear
BaylorLit 01 said:

historian said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

Quite the leap. Believing religion is private and not something to push on ppl, especially subordinates, makes me a God hater. Now, which one of us is narrow minded, again?!

What is your source for believing that religion should be private?
ScottS
BaylorLit 01 said:

historian said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

Question, are missionaries crossing the line by trying to bring people to Christ?
historian
Why are you assuming that Drew is pushing his faith on anybody? Faith cannot be achieved through force. Either one believes or one doesn't.

That's a huge insult on Coach Drew & on Christian's in general. Yes, it's very narrow minded.
BaylorLit 01
historian said:

Why are you assuming that Drew is pushing his faith on anybody? Faith cannot be achieved through force. Either one believes or one doesn't.

That's a huge insult on Coach Drew & on Christian's in general. Yes, it's very narrow minded.

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered," he told CBN News. "The great thing is we can prepare champions for life. And that's a spiritual, academic, and character formation in athletics. So for us to be able to incorporate the spiritual part has been so key and paramount to all our success and He's blessed us."

"Seeing the spiritual growth guys. Players who accept Christ, players who maybe prayed for the first time with the team, players who get baptized, players who come back and get Bible studies and go to church and you know that's what really exciting," he expressed.

"Sometimes those victories are not written and talked about in the newspapers or TV, but again, those are the ones that really matter," he added.

When asked about the importance of religious freedom in America, Drew said he is glad to be at a Christian university where he can openly share his faith.

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't," he explained. "I am a much better husband, father, spiritually I have grown from the staff that we have because we will do coach's bible studies together and we start every meeting in prayer."

Drew adds that it is the culture of "joy, Jesus, others, and yourself" that will continue to propel the program forward.

"We have also been a Christ-centered program and that is our foundation," he said.

If you're an evangelical Christian, all of that sounds great. But my point is a coach can't do that at a public school so I don't see Scott Drew ever going to one.
ZachTay
Just keep that Snake Oil salesman Mack Rhoades out of the way.

That guy would just slime up the opportunity........
Edmond Bear
Pretty sure everyone understood that part of your statement. But, they were questioning you suggesting that faith should be private and not shared with others.

historian
Since a very important part of Coach Drew's recruiting strategy is looking for young men of character I think the two are compatible. The character traits he's looking for are compatible with Christianity. I guess it depends on what one's means but "pushing". I prefer the term "promoting" because it has a more positive connotation. Regardless of terminology, the players in the program are open to his methods and one cannot argue with the results. We have the trophies & banners to prove it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.