#BBN Turned down by 4 premier coaches...what has happened?

1,707 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by historian
Chamberman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoodOleBaylorLine
This actually happened last time UK was in the market for a coach. Cal was their 3rd choice, at least
Johnny Bear
In a way this kind of reminds me of when UT axed Mack Brown and came after CAB, thinking all they had to do was snap their fingers and any coach they wanted would come running. Similar to Drew he mulled it over and ultimately rejected them - as did at least 3 other HC's that were at the top of their list. They ultimately settled for Charlie Strong who couldn't have been higher than about fifth on their list at the time. Looks like mighty UK is similarly going to end up settling for a down the list candidate as well before they're done with their search.
EvilTroyAndAbed
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

This actually happened last time UK was in the market for a coach. Cal was their 3rd choice, at least

Who were their first two?
EvilTroyAndAbed
Johnny Bear said:

In a way this kind of reminds me of when UT axed Mack Brown and came after CAB, thinking all they had to do was snap their fingers and any coach they wanted would come running. Similar to Drew he mulled it over and ultimately rejected them - as did at least 3 other HC's that were at the top of their list. They ultimately settled for Charlie Strong who couldn't have been higher than about fifth on their list at the time. Looks like mighty UK is similarly going to end up settling for a down the list candidate as well before they're done with their search.

I think they might bring back Pitino for a 4-year run.
jikespingleton
I wish Jerry Tarkanian coached in this era. He would own it.
ScottS
Turned down for what?
GoodOleBaylorLine
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

Who were their first two?

I don't remember exactly. but Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino (yes retread), Tom Izzo and Jay Wright were all in the mix. Thad Matta too, now that I think about it. He may have been high on the list.

Sort of like now, they didn't make an offer that was rejected, but it did take UK several days to get a coach and there was a string of coaches saying not interested. And they fired Gillespie, so knew there were going to be in the market.
Stefano DiMera
Yep...all those names plus Travis Ford at OkState and Sean Miller at Xavier.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Now I'm learning that Pitino was the third choice when he was hired. I guess when you have success, the other stuff just gets forgotten.
Hotsauce
I completely forgot about the BCG era at Kentucky. lol.
Stefano DiMera
As I predicted over a week ago before Scott's name even came up

historian
At least we know BYU will not be trying to get Drew!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.