Pope to UK supposedly

3,772 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by historian
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of our posters had him as a dark horse for the UK job (can't recall who) Appears it's becoming reality
OkieBear12
Looks that way according to Thamel:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1778597639384150350%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
IvanBear
The thread names on this Kentucky meltdown are *chef's kiss*

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/forums/rupp-rafters-basketball-forum.26/
gobears20
Staff
Classic lol

jsstewar
For his sanity sake and for the good of the Big 12 I hope he stays at BYU. The UK boards want Pope fired at UK before he is hired.
pilgrim
I know a lot of good anglers in Kentucky. They had more than one hook in the water up there in Lexington. Pope would be a good hire for them at this time. They love their own. They may eat him alive eventually, but he'll have the resources and a good chance to do well.
Fre3dombear
That was me. Maybe others
jdrs
Interesting that a "blue blood" basketball school is having difficulty getting a coach their fans are excited about. Or difficulty hiring a coach.
Hotsauce
IvanBear said:

The thread names on this Kentucky meltdown are *chef's kiss*

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/forums/rupp-rafters-basketball-forum.26/
It's a completely unhinged fanbase. CSD made the right decision.
Fre3dombear
It's like Being hired by aggies except there's no winning tradition there
jdrs
BYU is having a terrible day. Softball loses. Baseball loses to our Bears! And they are losing their basketball coach.
EvilTroyAndAbed
jdrs said:

Interesting that a "blue blood" basketball school is having difficulty getting a coach their fans are excited about. Or difficulty hiring a coach.

As I have learned through this process, both Pitino and Calipari were their third choices, and they got a couple of championships out of it.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera
IowaBear said:

One of our posters had him as a dark horse for the UK job (can't recall who) Appears it's becoming reality

Me.
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

Me.
Unfortunately, I predicted Pope's reception from Kentucky's insane fan base. If Drew wasn't good enough for those clowns, Pope was never going to be.

I think Pope's a good coach, who would benefit greatly from the upgrade he would get in recruiting going from BYU to Kentucky. But his track record was never going to satisfy those fans.
IowaBear
That was my guess, but I wasn't 100% sure it was you
Stefano DiMera
Yeah..I think Pope could get them where they want to be if they just give him a chance.
Stefano DiMera
They're lucky he's saying yes... because if he doesn't..I don't know where they'd go..

DeMarcus Cousins is pushing Rajon Rondo for the job for Christs sake.
IowaBear
I thought they'd look at Todd Golden I think he's gonna be a good one in the very near future
OurOurs
gobears20 said:

Classic lol

Daaaaaaaaaaaayum, that breathy "I love you guys" at the end made me shudder.
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera
Not sure what rock Fran has been under.
EatMoreSalmon
IowaBear said:

Dark horseman of the apocalypse.
boognish_bear
jikespingleton
boognish_bear said:

Yeah it's fairly clear to most fans that this is a poor hire.
For some reason UK's AD doesn't see it that way.
boognish_bear
IvanBear
Fran used to be great, but around 2020 or 2021 he just stopped caring. I don't think he does half the prep he used to and he seems somewhat checked out. Repeats the same 2 or 3 stories for every team all season and usually they're only about half true if you're familiar with the program.
gobears20
Staff
They seem excited
william
CSD made the right choice.....

Inbreeding run amok.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating cinnamon toast }
Go Bears!
PartyBear
I know he is going to be paid 8-11 mil a year range so this sounds stupid, but I feel bad for Pope those UK folks are being viscious this am. He is a UK Wildcat for God's sake. But on the other hand, he is one of them so he knows or knew what he is getting into.
boognish_bear
Johnny Bear
PartyBear said:

I know he is going to be paid 8-11 mil a year range so this sounds stupid, but I feel bad for Pope those UK folks are being viscious this am. He is a UK Wildcat for God's sake. But on the other hand, he is one of them so he knows or knew what he is getting into.

I get your point, but for $8M-$11M per year, I think my tolerance level for taking crap from fans would be quite high. Just sayin…..
Porteroso
He will apparently average 5m/year. Seems to be a bad hire. I don't know much about him but his record is just plain not good. Seems to not be very intelligent in the videos posted.

I don't blame KU fans for being mad. Drew looks like a titan of accomplishment next to Mark Pope. Well, because he is.
PartyBear
His record at BYU is not bad at all. 3 of his seasons were in 23-25 win range his other two were 19 and 20 win seasons.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.