Pope to UK supposedly

3,767 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by historian
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shouldn't they just try to get Calipari back?
Chuckroast
I wonder if they could have gotten Bruce Pearl, he would knock it out of the park at UK.
GoodOleBaylorLine
PartyBear said:

His record at BYU is not bad at all. 3 of his seasons were in 23-25 win range his other two were 19 and 20 win seasons.
This. I like Pope. He will likely do well there if he can bring in recruiters (which should not be hard). It is just not a sexy hire.
Johnny Bear
So - who does BYU target (as the chain reaction SMU started rolls on)?
ScottS
Johnny Bear said:

Maybe they will buy out the new SMU coach
Stefano DiMera
Johnny Bear said:

I think they like to keep their football and basketball hires to be Mormons so that limits the pool.

Former Lakers assistant and player and current Cal coach Mark Madsen.

And I think Kelvin Sampson top assistant at UH is Mormon K.C. Beard
TeamPlayer
Seems like a good hire for Kentucky. Lots of gnashing of teeth in Lexington - that's silly.

As we all know, the head coach is really important. But the assistant coaches are equally important.
Stefano DiMera
I guess one of his five wives didn't say no.
PartyBear
BYU is different from most religious schools in that it is more than affiliated with a denomination or church. It is owned and operated by the church. That said and I just checked, you do not have to be a Mormon to be a HC there but as it turns out they have never had one who isn't and from everything I have seen they are zeroing in on the Cal coach who I assume happens to be and LDS member in good standing.
JP1037
Kentucky fans throwing a fit about a proven but not yet national champion level coach like Pope and some of our fans were pushing Jakus who may one day be good but he has about 10 minutes as head coach and not ready to head a major program.

They expect too much. We expect to little.

bear2be2
JP1037 said:

Kentucky fans throwing a fit about a proven but not yet national champion level coach like Pope and some of our fans were pushing Jakus who may one day be good but he has about 10 minutes as head coach and not ready to head a major program.

They expect too much. We expect to little.

I think Pope is a good coach who could do really well with the recruiting bump he's about to get. But I don't blame Kentucky fans for being underwhelmed by that hire. He's never won a tournament game and coaches a style of play that is very dependent on 3-point shots falling.
historian
bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

IowaBear said:

One of our posters had him as a dark horse for the UK job (can't recall who) Appears it's becoming reality

Me.
Unfortunately, I predicted Pope's reception from Kentucky's insane fan base. If Drew wasn't good enough for those clowns, Pope was never going to be.

I think Pope's a good coach, who would benefit greatly from the upgrade he would get in recruiting going from BYU to Kentucky. But his track record was never going to satisfy those fans.

I thought Kentucky fans were drooling at the prospect of snagging Drew. He was probably their best hope since Self & Hurley were both beyond reach.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
He lives in Dallas and focuses on the Big 12. It's understandable, even for a sports media personality.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.