worried about a lack of transfer announcements?

7,226 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Hotsauce
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Am I worried? Ask me tomorrow.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

There's no denying though this means we're not really getting our first picks.

Not too late to get a new handle. You may have to take some time to get to veteran status but… Mack has not lost Scott Drew and if we get the guys rumored to be coming, this is the silliest post in a long while.
Nah I'll stand by it, we've missed on recruiting Carlyle twice now. Just because we land big guys doesn't mean we land every big guy we wanted, also doesn't mean we won't be happy with this portal class (something we weren't last year).

Mack doing the bare minimum his job requires of him is not a praiseworthy thing, nor is anyone walking around crediting with Mack for being the reason Drew decided to stay, we've got the life he's built in Waco to thank for that.

Top notch coping right here! Kudos man! Whatever it takes to keep your head up!
Brown nose the administration harder maybe it'll get you a better tailgate spot from the tailgate guys
This is a silly response. You jumped to an erroneous conclusion and got called on it. What does that have to do with brown nosing the administration?

If the rumors are true, and Roach and Aidoo are headed our way, we'll likely finish this cycle with a top-20 portal haul. It would appear in that case that your concerns of missing out on our top targets would be misguided.
@bear2be2

What was that about Aidoo?

What was that about it being in erroneous conclusion we're not landing our first picks?

We're not landing all our first picks, doesn't mean our chances are shot but it does mean we continue to not be as competitive as the portal as a lot of people pretend we are.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Not too late to get a new handle. You may have to take some time to get to veteran status but… Mack has not lost Scott Drew and if we get the guys rumored to be coming, this is the silliest post in a long while.
Nah I'll stand by it, we've missed on recruiting Carlyle twice now. Just because we land big guys doesn't mean we land every big guy we wanted, also doesn't mean we won't be happy with this portal class (something we weren't last year).

Mack doing the bare minimum his job requires of him is not a praiseworthy thing, nor is anyone walking around crediting with Mack for being the reason Drew decided to stay, we've got the life he's built in Waco to thank for that.

Brown nose the administration harder maybe it'll get you a better tailgate spot from the tailgate guys
This is a silly response. You jumped to an erroneous conclusion and got called on it. What does that have to do with brown nosing the administration?

If the rumors are true, and Roach and Aidoo are headed our way, we'll likely finish this cycle with a top-20 portal haul. It would appear in that case that your concerns of missing out on our top targets would be misguided.
@bear2be2

What was that about it being in erroneous conclusion we're not landing our first picks?

We're not landing all our first picks, doesn't mean our chances are shot but it does mean we continue to not be as competitive as the portal as a lot of people pretend we are.
Did you miss the "if the rumors are true" caveat? And with or without Aidoo, I still think your conclusion will end up being misguided.

We'll get a good transfer haul that will fit our needs and keep us competitive in the Big 12. I don't care about first, second or 10th choice. All I care about is fielding a team that can win, and Scott Drew has proven he can evaluate talent well enough to bring in players capable of helping us do so.

There are a ton of good, experienced players remaining in the portal. I'll bet we get a few before all is said and done.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

@bear2be2

Did you miss the "if the rumors are true" caveat? And with or without Aidoo, I still think your conclusion will end up being misguided.

We'll get a good transfer haul that will fit our needs and keep us competitive in the Big 12. I don't care about first, second or 10th choice. All I care about is fielding a that can win, and Scott Drew has proven he can evaluate talent well enough to bring in players capable of helping us do so.

There are a ton of good, experienced players remaining in the portal. I'll bet we get a few before all is said and done.
Yeah I've never thought we end up with a bad roster. You're the one ignoring plain statements and backtracking.

Everyone's in this thread is up in arms that I said what's happening, we're not landing our first picks from the portal.

Last year it meant we had to dig deeper for our transfers, it's looking like with the exception of Roach we'll do that again, unless there's still some guys who are yet to declare that want to come here.

We're Baylor we don't have the NIL money to whip people like the big public schools and this year we're recruiting the portal without the top two assistants on staff, that's got to make it harder from selling a guy what their life in our program will look like.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

@bear2be2

We'll get a good transfer haul that will fit our needs and keep us competitive in the Big 12. I don't care about first, second or 10th choice. All I care about is fielding a that can win, and Scott Drew has proven he can evaluate talent well enough to bring in players capable of helping us do so.

Yeah I've never thought we end up with a bad roster. You're the one ignoring plain statements and backtracking.

Everyone's in this thread is up in arms that I said what's happening, we're not landing our first picks from the portal.

Last year it meant we had to dig deeper for our transfers, it's looking like with the exception of Roach we'll do that again, unless there's still some guys who are yet to declare that want to come here.

We're Baylor we don't have the NIL money to whip people like the big public schools and this year we're recruiting the portal without the top two assistants on staff, that's got to make it harder from selling a guy what their life in our program will look like.
There's no way anyone can argue that Jeremy Roach wasn't one of our top choices, if not our top choice at guard. So you're already wrong about that.

Like I said at the very beginning of this discussion, I'll wait to see what our portal haul looks like before I pass any judgment on it. But adding one of the top three guards in this portal class is a good start by any measure.

Go find a wing who can shoot and defend and a physical big who can bang, and we'll be in really good shape. I don't care at all where they're ranked by 247. I'm far more concerned about the skill set than I am the ranking.
Big12Fan2024
Our challenge in the portal this year is that we aimed for the top recruits in a year where 3 high profile jobs opened that caused those schools to have to guarantee the coach they hired the NIL had to be expanded immensely. And the athletic directors at those schools went to their donor base and got it done. Those 3 long with someone like Alabama and Kansas who already had large NIL that is much greater than us have basically cherry picked the cream of the crop and Coach Drew was able to somehow wrestle Roach away. That won't happen every year.

I am confident Coach Drew will find some mid tier transfers and reformulate his strategy because we are never going to live at the top end of the food chain with the highest rated transfer portal candidates unless that portal person is prone to be religious or there may be an occasional one where they like the JOY culture that has been created and we can get close enough to other money offers. That is what Coach Drew has always done. He has successfully adjusted to the environment and figured out a new gameplan on recruiting whether its from the regular pool of top high school players or the transfer portal.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

@bear2be2

There's no way anyone can argue that Jeremy Roach wasn't one of our top choices, if not our top choice at guard. So you're already wrong about that.

Like I said at the very beginning of this discussion, I'll wait to see what our portal haul looks like before I pass any judgment on it. But adding one of the top three guards in this portal class is a good start by any measure.

Go find a wing who can shoot and defend and a physical big who can bang, and we'll be in really good shape. I don't care at all where they're ranked by 247. I'm far more concerned about the skill set than I am the ranking.

I love Roach I think he's an elite add, but you're insane if you think he's one of the top 3 guys in this portal class.

He was the second guard we reached out to sure he wasn't in the portal at the time we reached out to Carlyle but that doesn't change we reached out to a guard before Roach, it also doesn't mean we wouldn't have, but we didn't land Carlyle. Swing and a miss. We're 1/4 on portal adds who have made decisions that we've been legitimately linked too right now, with another yet to decide but doesn't look like he's coming our way. I'm sure the batting average is actually worse and we're just not hearing all the names but that's not concerning.

It's just weird cope on this board that some people don't want to admit we're missing on guys in the portal. It's okay, it happens to every team except KU this year apparently.

It's not passing judgment on the portal class to say we're not landing our top options. It's just fact, it is also now time to be a *little* concerned because we just put a lot of effort to get out paid by Arkansas. Doesn't mean the end of the world does mean a lot of wasted time going after a guy we didn't land, and we bet on him over the other top option at the position.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

@bear2be2

I love Roach I think he's an elite add, but you're insane if you think he's one of the top 3 guys in this portal class.

He was the second guard we reached out to sure he wasn't in the portal at the time we reached out to Carlyle but that doesn't change we reached out to a guard before Roach, it also doesn't mean we wouldn't have, but we didn't land Carlyle. Swing and a miss. We're 1/4 on portal adds who have made decisions that we've been legitimately linked too right now, with another yet to decide but doesn't look like he's coming our way. I'm sure the batting average is actually worse and we're just not hearing all the names but that's not concerning.

It's just weird cope on this board that some people don't want to admit we're missing on guys in the portal. It's okay, it happens to every team except KU this year apparently.

It's not passing judgment on the portal class to say we're not landing our top options. It's just fact, it is also now time to be a *little* concerned because we just put a lot of effort to get out paid by Arkansas. Doesn't mean the end of the world does mean a lot of wasted time going after a guy we didn't land, and we bet on him over the other top option at the position.
Name three guards you'd take over him. And if Kanaan Carlyle's on the list, I'll laugh hysterically.

The only guard ahead of him on the 247 rankings that I would actually take ahead of him is probably Johnell Davis.
IvanBear
I misread your post I thought you said all players. I would agree Roach is the best player that is going to play the point, even though he's probably best off playing a Jared Butler type role where he's about 50/50 on ball.

Roach is close but I don't think he's a top 3 guard. I do think he fills our most important need for next season thought so I'm very happy with the add.

Davis and Starr and Richmond are above him everywhere but probably On3, who's ratings seem all over the place and not well done. Kadary Richmond I understand to be a guard but some people keep listing him as a forward. But, I'll give you all 3 of those guys are not point guards and aren't going to come in to play floor general.

Carlyle would have been amazing less because of next year and more because of the following year where we'd have 2 awesome guards in our system for 2 years with him and Wright to pair with a one and done. Carlyle has a lot of upside these other guys don't because he's not a senior and it's unlikely he's going pro after next year so you get him for multiple years. Do I think he'll do great at Indiana (nah that team I think crashes and burns).

But landing one guy we really wanted doesn't mean we haven't failed to land others we really wanted. All I'm saying is longer this drags out the more it means we're not landing all our first picks.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

Bleed Green said:

IvanBear said:

@bear2be2

Everyone misses on guys in the portal. That's how it works.

Fishing in the portal requires a cast net, not a rod and reel.

It's silly to think we have a ranked list and should be crying in our soup each time a target goes elsewhere. We've likely contacted dozens of players to gauge interest. There's a Plan A through Q for every hole we're trying to fill. And the truth is the gap between the first five to 10 players on each of those lists isn't particularly wide in a lot of cases.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

I misread your post I thought you said all players. I would agree Roach is the best player that is going to play the point, even though he's probably best off playing a Jared Butler type role where he's about 50/50 on ball.

Roach is close but I don't think he's a top 3 guard. I do think he fills our most important need for next season thought so I'm very happy with the add.

Davis and Starr and Richmond are above him everywhere but probably On3, who's ratings seem all over the place and not well done. Kadary Richmond I understand to be a guard but some people keep listing him as a forward. But, I'll give you all 3 of those guys are not point guards and aren't going to come in to play floor general.

Carlyle would have been amazing less because of next year and more because of the following year where we'd have 2 awesome guards in our system for 2 years with him and Wright to pair with a one and done. Carlyle has a lot of upside these other guys don't because he's not a senior and it's unlikely he's going pro after next year so you get him for multiple years. Do I think he'll do great at Indiana (nah that team I think crashes and burns).

But landing one guy we really wanted doesn't mean we haven't failed to land others we really wanted. All I'm saying is longer this drags out the more it means we're not landing all our first picks.
We're not finished.

Freaking out at this stage is silly.

We'll address our needs before this process is over. At least wait until you see what our class looks like to start griping about the way we went about it.
Quinton
Concerning but still guys out there.

I like the UncW kid that announced but haven't seen anything on that. Think there is a ton of upside there. Mix him with a high level big and still think could be a strong season.
IvanBear

Encouraging news but still meaningless at this point news on that front.
IowaBear
Definitely not meaningless. But I get your point. Until he commits it doesn't matter. But we're competing with 2 schools whose NIL I'm sure we can match. And from a pure BB perspective BU is a MUCH bigger brand
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

Definitely not meaningless. But I get your point. Until he commits it doesn't matter. But we're competing with 2 schools whose NIL I'm sure we can match. And from a pure BB perspective BU is a MUCH bigger brand
He's already turned down some pretty big brands to get to this list of 3, I don't think brand is driving his decision. Hopefully we can snag him.
Quinton
IvanBear said:

Encouraging news but still meaningless at this point news on that front.

I like this a lot. I was saying it but I didn't know he was this closely associated to BU. I did the same with Roach before I knew there was a chance. I like his game more than the Charlotte transfer we missed
Quinton
Was told by another fan there would be a significant addition soon so checked here and nothing yet. Aidoo was a blow but sounded positive. Still remain optimistic
IowaBear
Was told yesterday by a very reliable poster via DM that we would be getting a commit soon (few days) poster is rarely wrong. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up but won't be shocked if it happens
Quinton
IowaBear said:

Was told yesterday by a very reliable poster via DM that we would be getting a commit soon (few days) poster is rarely wrong. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up but won't be shocked if it happens

Interesting, that makes two. Sounds like a little smoke
IvanBear
Seams reasonable to believe this is the Mansfield forward who is a big get but not an Aidoo level get.
TWD 1974
IvanBear said:

Seams reasonable to believe this is the Mansfield forward who is a big get but not an Aidoo level g
Would be a great get, and in case any UK fans are snooping on this site, the guys name is Mansfield...
IvanBear
Seems like it ended up being meaningless.

Any news on your source Iowabear?

Feels like we need to land someone soon, the best players remaining list is dwindling.
Quinton
IvanBear said:

Feels like we need to land someone soon, the best players remaining list is dwindling.
From a few days ago, didn't sound like the UNCW transfer. Sounded like a more notable player so this isn't as big a disappointment to me. Tbf, did like the guy as a mid major call up. Im not going to pivot just bc he isn't coming.

Moving to a different 3 actually makes me think the smoke is real and a commit is coming fairly soon.
Big12Fan2024
It is becoming evident we blew the entire budget on 1 player and left the front court barren and to be replaced by some dudes who could not start at their current school so they went in the portal. The $1.5 million and higher numbers thrown out on Roach must have been accurate.
Bleed Green
Oooooof! Some of yall got some crow to eat.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

It is becoming evident we blew the entire budget on 1 player and left the front court barren and to be replaced by some dudes who could not start at their current school so they went in the portal. The $1.5 million and higher numbers thrown out on Roach must have been accurate.
Is it, though?
Mitch Henessey
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
Quinton
Quinton said:

IvanBear said:

From a few days ago, didn't sound like the UNCW transfer. Sounded like a more notable player so this isn't as big a disappointment to me. Tbf, did like the guy as a mid major call up. Im not going to pivot just bc he isn't coming.

Moving to a different 3 actually makes me think the smoke is real and a commit is coming fairly soon.

Yep, sounded bigger and there it is. Omier and Roach were two of the top 5-7 overall players in the whole portal per my evaluation. Special. Fill in one more spot and we're co favorites with KU. Dude is that good.
Mitch Henessey

This is super cool. Shows we have something special going on, here.
Hotsauce
Big12Fan2024 said:

Whoops.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.