Camera

3,674 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by historian
ZachTay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any updates on Baylor addressing (fixing) the camera angle problems?
Griz
What camera angle problems are you referring to? No different than about 75% of the college arenas in the US.
JP1037
Griz said:

What camera angle problems are you referring to? No different than about 75% of the college arenas in the US.

I beg to differ. Probably worst TV angle in D1 NCAA basketball. I don't know of a worse one.

But Baylor is not going to admit the mistake is my guess.
bear2be2
JP1037 said:

Griz said:

I beg to differ. Probably worst TV angle in D1 NCAA basketball. I don't know of a worse one.

The athletic department has said it will be addressed. Assuming that nothing will be done because there's been no public announcement in the middle of the offseason is kind of silly.

If nothing's done by the start of next season, complain away. But Baylor has acknowledged the issue and said publicly that it will be exploring solutions, so your second paragraph is wrong regardless.
Griz
If you are one of those people that chooses to expend your energy by waking up looking for something to complain about, or searching for a way that you have been wronged, then complain away. Otherwise, just be glad that we have an incredible basketball facility, and that as part of creating that experience, they may have placed the cameras slightly higher than you are accustomed to.
bear2be2
Griz said:

If you are one of those people that chooses to expend your energy by waking up looking for something to complain about, or searching for a way that you have been wronged, then complain away. Otherwise, just be glad that we have an incredible basketball facility, and that as part of creating that experience, they may have placed the cameras slightly higher than you are accustomed to.
In modern college athletics, the TV experience is as important (if not more so) than the in-arena experience, as far more people will be watching your games that way than will be attending them. And far more of your revenue will be tied to your TV contract, which is tied to your TV audience. So it is perfectly valid to complain about the god-awful angle we saw last season.

And if we enter next season with the same god-awful TV angle, it will remain valid to complain.

But the AD has acknowledged the issue publicly and expressed at least some level of commitment to fixing it. So I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and time to do so.

But downplaying a legitimate and obvious problem that was a cause of consistent frustration among our fans and consistent public ridicule from others -- including some of the biggest names in CBB media -- serves no one.
4yrletterbear
And the camera angle SUCKS
JP1037
Griz said:

Two or three or 1,000,000 things can be true at the same time my friend. I love the new arena and Baylor basketball. I also think the new arena is too small and the camera angle is abysmal. I didn't have to look for this camera angle problem. It slapped me in the face when I watched a game. Complex multi layered thinking. Im sure you do it as well from time to time.
JP1037
bear2be2 said:

JP1037 said:

Griz said:

The athletic department has said it will be addressed. Assuming that nothing will be done because there's been no public announcement in the middle of the offseason is kind of silly.

If nothing's done by the start of next season, complain away. But Baylor has acknowledged the issue and said publicly that it will be exploring solutions, so your second paragraph is wrong regardless.

Addressed is a meaningless word. Will be fixed or corrected are the right words. This language is not accidental.

Fre3dombear
JP1037 said:

Griz said:

Only one close I can think of is Oklahoma state. Hate watching their games from space

And now ours is worse
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

Griz said:

In modern college athletics, the TV experience is as important (if not more so) than the in-arena experience, as far more people will be watching your games that way than will be attending them. And far more of your revenue will be tied to your TV contract, which is tied to your TV audience. So it is perfectly valid to complain about the god-awful angle we saw last season.

And if we enter next season with the same god-awful TV angle, it will remain valid to complain.

But the AD has acknowledged the issue publicly and expressed at least some level of commitment to fixing it. So I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and time to do so.

But downplaying a legitimate and obvious problem that was a cause of consistent frustration among our fans and consistent public ridicule from others -- including some of the biggest names in CBB media -- serves no one.

Maybe we can use drones since they built the stadium poorly?
blackie
Griz said:

This could fit 50% of the posters on this board, and that might be a low percentage. The complaining of a legitimate issue is not a problem. It is when the main focus of coming on here is to be looking for something to complain about when you have been told that actions are being taken...... that is irritating.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

bear2be2 said:

Griz said:

They didn't build the arena poorly. They just put seats where the cameras should go. They prioritized short-term monetary gain over the TV experience and suffered a substantial PR hit as a result.
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

bear2be2 said:

Griz said:

They didn't build the arena poorly. They just put seats where the cameras should go. They prioritized short-term monetary gain over the TV experience and suffered a substantial PR hit as a result.

Poor Construction
historian
JP1037 said:

Griz said:

The Pokes's arena is worse but not by much.
ScottS
The angles are good. They allow you to tell which players/refs have balding/pre mature balding.
fubar
Have you guys seen V.J. Edgecombe's highlights? Those camera angles are gonna be pretty sweet when he goes off.

Maybe that's what they mean by addressing the issue.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Dear Blackie,

I'd like an update on this. I appreciated the OP for asking. Seems like if anything was actually being done we'd get an update since it was a very publicized complaint.

Am I OK to read this thread without getting upset and not being mad someone asked about it?

Signed,

A curious Baylor fan

PS, This isn't the politics board, I said "curious" not "bi-curious", didn't want anyone getting too excited.
BU82EX
I'm afraid you better get use to the camera angle. The only location where they could relocate the cameras and provide a satisfactory angle would be on the opposite side of the arena in a designated ADA seating area. And, that would put the camera on the opposite side of the announcing crew, which they typically will not do. Reasonably confident they are not going to rework and reduce the VIP seating area on the "home" side to enhance the TV experience.
historian
Unfortunately that is probably correct
joseywales
People can have opnions without being attacked...the new arena is amazing been there many times. It does not mean they did a good job of placing the camera.they did an awful job and it will be addressed.
historian
I wouldn't say Baylor has the worst. It's no worse than Oklahoma State.
historian
My hope (dream?) is that the people responsible have done something and are waiting until the season begins to spring it on us. Some kind of big surprise. I also realize that this is unlikely. More likely, they are having difficulty correcting a poor decision in the design stage mainly due to the expense and the difficult tradeoffs involved.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.