Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Baylor MBB: Top Returning Players For 2024-2025

October 17, 2024

As No. 8 Baylor MBB’s season opener on Monday, Nov. 4, against No. 6 Gonzaga inches closer, it's time to start breaking down the roster, plus the biggest storylines and questions heading into the 2024-2025 season. 

Today, with a bit of help from hoops experts Ashley Hodge and Kendall Kaut, we’ll assess the best-returning players from last year’s roster.

Jayden Nunn (Sr.): (35 GP, 28.6 MIN, 10.5 PTS, 2.6 REB, 2.0 AST, 1.3 STL, 1.4 TO, 45.5 FG%, 43.9 3P%, 70.9 FT%)

• Hodge: “I expect Jayden to be a high-energy guy on both ends. This team needs the guards to be menaces on the perimeter, creating havoc with quickness and ball pressure. Jayden has to be one of the leaders in this area.”
  • Kaut: “His 3-point percentage last year leads to hope that he can take more triples this season to assist with spacing. His off-ball defense needs to improve, as he was a fantastic on-ball defender, frequently taking tougher assignments over for RayJ Dennis. He seemingly has another gear he can hit after he showed his skills as a dribbler and dish-off artist in the paint.”

In February, VCU transfer guard Jayden Nunn (Sr.) started to find his confidence and come into his own on the offensive end of the floor for the Bears. 

He scored at least eight points in 10 of the final 11 conference games, averaging 13.6 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game during that stretch. He had a season-high 27 points in a 79-62 win over No. 25 Oklahoma on Feb. 13.

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Jayden Nunn (Sr.) averaged 13.6 points per game over the final 11 games in conference play.

Despite being an excellent shooter, Nunn arguably didn’t take enough shots last year because he was often asked to run the offense when senior point guard RayJ Dennis was off the floor.

He was second on the team in 3-point percentage (43.9%) but was fourth in 3-point attempts (114) behind Dennis (119), Jalen Bridges (177) and Ja’Kobe Walter (220).

With Duke transfer Jeremy Roach (5Sr.) and Robert Wright III (Fr.) manning the point guard position most of the time this season, Nunn should have many more opportunities for open jumpers beyond the arc. If he’s occasionally asked to run the point, Nunn showed last year that he’s capable.

“Jeremy and Rob are both great guards, and they help me compete every day and become a better version of myself,” Nunn told the media in late September. “All three of us compete at a high level. It’s fun, for sure. Jeremy is a veteran and has been to a Final Four, which is where I also want to be.”

Defensively, Nunn was second on the team in steals per game (1.3) and was one of the few Baylor defenders who could create chaos on the perimeter. With better defenders surrounding him this year, he should excel in locking opposing players up.

Langston Love (RJr.): (24 GP, 24.8 MIN, 11.0 PTS, 2.9 REB, 1.2 AST, 0.4 STL, 1.0 TO, 46.5 FG%, 48.0 3P%, 78.3 FT%)

• Hodge: “We all want an injury-free season for Love. He should be good to go for Gonzaga. I expect some rust early since he missed the summer, but hopefully, he hits his stride in November and can give the team an important offensive weapon and strong defender.”
  • Kaut: “No question looms over his season beyond: Can he finally stay healthy? His injuries feel freaky, an eye problem plus a host of other injuries. His 3-point shooting and ability to score in isolation make him quite valuable. He helps Baylor as he can play the two, three or four. If Baylor wants to make it to the final weekend, Love almost assuredly has to stay healthy. ”

When conference play rolled around last January, Langston Love (RJr.) looked like the front-runner for Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year. He was incredible in that opening month, scoring in double figures for seven consecutive games, including a career-high 24-point barrage in a 77-69 road win against UCF on Jan. 31. 

Unfortunately, injuries derailed the second half of the season for Love, an all-too-familiar storyline so far in his Baylor career. He missed the entire 2021-2022 season with a torn ACL and has logged just 27 total minutes in March due to varying injuries over the last two years.

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Langston Love (RJr.) was a frontrunner for Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year before struggling with injuries over the final month and a half of the season.

To ensure Love peaks at the right time this season, head coach Scott Drew has been cautious in bringing him back to full speed, limiting him in practice and keeping him from participating against Grand Canyon in the scrimmage last weekend.

“My recovery is going great,” Love told the media in late September. “I have the right people around me doing the right stuff for me. We’re taking a good approach this year with my recovery, the organization of doing things and my schedule. It’s going to be a great year.”

If Love can stay on the floor this season, he will be one of the best players in the conference and will raise Baylor’s ceiling even further. He gives the Bears toughness on the perimeter, can get to the paint for easy shots and is a dead-eye shooter when given space; he attempted 75 3-pointers last season and shot at a team-high 48% clip.

Discussion from...

Baylor MBB: Top Returning Players For 2024-2025

424 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 57 min ago by Quinton
TXBEAR_bf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am anxious to see how Josh developed over the summer. He will need to be a big piece for us off the bench. He has the athleticism do make big strides, but his basketball iq has always been shaky. He could be a big surprise for us, hoping.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
IowaBear
Excellent points. Josh O will need to take the next step for BU. We have no true Center behind him (Omier can play the 5) but he's not a true 5.
Looks like Love is nearing 100% and is expected vs Gonzaga. If and it's a big IF he can stay healthy I think he's going to have a monster year
Quinton
I agree Josh's developement and Love's health are the two most important things to me. If Josh becomes competent on offense and decent around the rim defenfer.. this team becomes a title contender.

I'm optimistic on Celestine surprising to the upside as being two years past a major injury is huge for confidence and phyiscal ability.. the size and shot are there. The staff has been great at finding undervalued guys. Also expect Wright to be surprisingly good later in the year. Nunn finally has a year of developement in the program too. A lot of things to like.
IowaBear
That's not even taking into consideration that Omier is the best player in the conference. And I stand by that. He's not going to average huge numbers but his all around skill set and what he can do offensively/defensively is unmatched. Not sure BU has had a player as unique as him
Quinton
IowaBear said:

That's not even taking into consideration that Omier is the best player in the conference. And I stand by that. He's not going to average huge numbers but his all around skill set and what he can do offensively/defensively is unmatched. Not sure BU has had a player as unique as him
Oh 100% Omier was the best transfer in the portal in my view. Him not being 1st team over Roberts didn't make any sense at all to me. With Omier, Edgecombe, Nunn can get up the floor too, and Roach we will have transition offensive potential not seen since at least 22'.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.