Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Basketball

MBB: Baylor (10-3; 0-1) vs #16 TCU (12-1; 0-1) Preview & Game Thread

December 31, 2017

Baylor (10-3; 0-1) hosts #16 TCU (12-1; 0-1) on Tuesday January 2nd at 6:00pm CST.  The game is televised on ESPN News.  Here is a look at the match-up.  

KenPom Rankings

TCU:  25 overall; 11 offensive efficiency; 70 defensive efficiency

Baylor: 34 overall; 37 offensive efficiency; 38 defensive efficiency

Prediction:  Baylor 74 TCU 72

Coaches

TCU:  Jamie Dixon (44); 364-139 (36-16 at TCU);  10 NCAAs; 3 Sweet 16s; 1 Elite 8

Baylor:  Scott Drew (47); 309-193 overall (289-182 at Baylor); 7 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

TCU Starting Line-Up

PG: Jaylen Fisher (SO) 6-2 200 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 asst; 47% FG; 39% 3pt; 87% FT

SG:  Desmond Bane (SO); 6-5 215 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 59% FG; 53% 3pt; 70% FT

SF:  Kenrich Williams (SR); 6-7 210 lbs; 15 ppg; 9 reb; 4 asst; 3 st; 50% FG; 50% 3pt; 78% FT

PF:  JD Miller (SR); 6-8 235 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 54% FG; 32% 3pt; 58% FT

C:  Vlad Broadziansky (JR) 6-11 230 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 64% FG; 42% 3pt; 72% FT

TCU Bench

G:  Alex Robinson (JR); 6-1 175 lbs; 8 ppg; 5 asst; 40% FG; 19% 3pt; 61% FT

G:  Kouat Noi (FR) 6-7 210 lbs; 9 ppg; 4 reb; 57% FG; 49% 3pt; 62% FT

C:  Ahmed Hamdy-Mohammed (SR) 6-9 235 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 54% FG; 79% FT

Baylor Starting Line-up

PG:  Manu Lecomte (SR) 5-11 180 lbs; 18 ppg; 3 asst; 44% FG; 44% 3pt; 92% FT

SG:  King McClure (JR) 6-3 215 lbs; 12 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 46% FG; 40% 3pt; 77% FT

SF:  Nuni Omot (SR) 6-9 210 lbs; 12 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 53% FG; 41% 3pt; 87% FT

PF:  Tristan Clark (FR) 6-9 240 lbs; 9 ppg; 6 reb; 1 blk; 60% FG; 59% FT

C:  Jo Lual-Acuil (SR) 7-0 220 lbs; 15 ppg; 10 reb; 2 blks; 53% FG; 67% FT; 25% 3pt

Baylor Bench

G:  Jake Lindsey (JR) 6-5 195 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 asst; 50% FG; 41% 3pt; 67% FT

F:  Terry Maston (SR) 6-8 230 lbs; 10 ppg; 7 reb; 59% FG; 63% FT; 43% 3pt

F:  Mark Vital (RFR) 6-5 230 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 58% FG; 53% FT

G:  Tyson Jolly (RFR) 6-5 190 lbs; 2 p; 3 reb; 3 asst; 24% FG; 100% FT

Discussion from...

MBB: Baylor (10-3; 0-1) vs #16 TCU (12-1; 0-1) Preview & Game Thread

15,767 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NoBSU
lawmaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
can we switch defenses?

they have scored the last ten times down the floor
rudylaw
Zone hasn't stopped anything in the last 10 minutes
rudylaw
That'll be Frog ball. Good look but he couldn't finish.
rudylaw
GET OUT OF THE ZONE!!!!
EGOTbear
Interior defense is a nightmare
lawmaker
totally outcoached tonight

we switched d twice in the last 8 minutes and they have scored everytime down but once.
rudylaw
Great idea to intentionally foul the 88% shooter.
rudylaw
Night to burn with fire for Manu. Just don't have the horses for the B12 this year it seems.
BaylorOkie
It would help if King didn't completely disappear.
geewago
lawmaker said:

totally outcoached tonight

Yep. shoulda, coulda, woulda
Illinois Bear
Scooter looks sick to his stomach. Tough loss.
Johnny Bear
1-11 in football and now this.
JXL
Missed a couple of FT's in regulation that would have won it, alas ...
EGOTbear
I smell NIT. Team doesn't have X factor, can't put it all together, especially down stretch.
Bear8084
EGOTbear said:

I smell NIT. Team doesn't have X factor, can't put it all together, especially down stretch.

We're also starting to get healthy again. Not quite there yet.
bhard315
BaylorOkie said:

It would help if King didn't completely disappear.

And Manu. Combined 1 for 17 for the two. Teams are hedging hard off of screens with them and taking away their ability to see passing lanes or pull up for a jump shot. Gotta find a way to adjust and get buckets from those two or Baylor is majorly screwed this season.
RealLarryDon
Manu 1-11, King 0-6. 1-17 from your starting guards. Unacceptable. Manu started the season as one of Top 3 PGs in the Big 12. So far has played like 1 of the bottom 2. He's been absent too many big games this year. If last year's Manu doesn't return soon, we are headed for NIT or sitting at home. Still a lot of season left though.
BaylorOkie
It's no secret to put a bigger defender on Manu to help neutralize him. And if McClure doesn't play well, we are in big trouble.

There is still plenty of Hope. Drew teams have played better the second half of conference season multiple times in the past. Here's to hoping we get healthy and guard play gets better.

Of course, I say we want to get healthy, but the two guys that were supposed to be hurt tonight played the best for us.
bearlyafarmer
I'm comforting myself with the smug knowledge that Baylor is an institution of higher learning that happens to play men's basketball.
Yeek
Yep, stick s big guy on Manu and he's done. It's no fault of his own, just reality. We know college basketball is guard dependent so with Manu and King most likely being inconsistent it's going to be a long season.
IndyYes
Ridiculous missed 3s. Also, when under 2 minutes to go you cannot be missing those FTs Lecomte. Make it and there would not have been an OT. I said it after the Texas Tech game and I am more convinced now......this team starts off conference play 0-5. We were the joke in football and now we are about to be in men's basketball too. Thank goodness for Mulkey and thank goodness no sharp objects are near me.
NoBSU
Yeek said:

Yep, stick s big guy on Manu and he's done. It's no fault of his own, just reality. We know college basketball is guard dependent so with Manu and King most likely being inconsistent it's going to be a long season.
Manu isn't inconsistent. He is defensible with a big guard and we have a hole at the SG and Wing/SF position that doesn't make a team pay for that. Few teams we play can shut down a scoring PG, scoring SG, and a double/double center. Not hitting the panic button until we heal up. Besides Acuil and Maston, Manu is dinged up too, right? We need to make them stop us at the 2 or 3 spot from the outside.
JusHappy2BeHere
I am way more encouraged after tonight... sucks to loose, but tonight looked like 2 NCAA Tournament teams with one being 0-2.

Leconte is still not himself, King was not as good as he should be, but Jake was a stud... Maston and Acuil will get us there if somebody can support them
NoBSU
JusHappy2BeHere said:

I am way more encouraged after tonight... sucks to loose, but tonight looked like 2 NCAA Tournament teams with one being 0-2.

Leconte is still not himself, King was not as good as he should be, but Jake was a stud... Maston and Acuil will get us their if somebody can support them
Jake had a good line in the extended boxscore.
Chanceux
Im a little bit worried that there aint a guy that can pick up the scoring slack when Manu isnt hitting. Not sure why Chucky Mitchell left but he's missed. Looks like he coulda had a big role.
BaylorOkie
He must've had someone in his ear.

I miss Freeman, also.
NoBSU
Well both left. 40 minutes at the SG plus 5 minutes backup at PG. 45 minutes for King, Jake, Al and Mitchell. That's why they left. Clark/Omot/Vital had most of the minutes at at the 3 sewed up. It isn't a mystery.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.