Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

MBB: Baylor (18-12; 8-9) at KSU (20-10; 9-8) Preview & Game Thread

March 1, 2018

Baylor (18-12; 8-9) visits Kansas State (20-10; 9-8) on Saturday March 3rd at 1pm CST.  The game is televised on ESPN.    

KenPom Rankings

Kansas State:   46 overall; 60 offensive efficiency; 44 defensive efficiency

Baylor:  28 overall; 73 offensive efficiency; 12 defensive efficiency

Prediction:  Kansas State 67 Baylor 65

Coaches

Kansas State:  Bruce Weber (61); 432-233 (119-78 at KSU); 11 NCAAs; 3 Sweet 16s; 1 Elite 8; 1 Final; 1 NCAA runner-up

Baylor:  Scott Drew (47); 317-202 overall (297-191 at Baylor); 7 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Kansas State Starting Line-Up

PG:  Cartier Diarra (FR) 6-4 190 lbs; 7 ppg; 2 asst; 49% FG; 40% 3pt; 80% FT

SG:  Barry Brown (JR); 6-3 195 lbs; 17 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 46% FG; 33% 3pt; 78% FT

SF:  Xavier Sneed (SO); 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 42% FG; 35% 3pt; 80% FT

PF:  Dean Wade (JR); 6-10 230 lbs; 16 ppg; 6 reb; 3 asst; 55% FG; 43% 3pt; 74% FT

C:  Makol Malwien (SO) 6-9 225 lbs; 6 ppg; 3 reb; 1 blk; 61% FG; 72% FT

Kansas State Bench

G:  Kamau Stokes (JR); 6-5 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 asst; 38% FG; 37% 3pt; 77% FT

G:  Aamad Wainright (JR) 6-2 200 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 41% FG; 33% 3pt; 45% FT

Baylor Starting Line-up

PG:  Manu Lecomte (SR) 5-11 180 lbs; 16 ppg; 4 asst; 40% FG; 39% 3pt; 88% FT

SG:  Jake Lindsey (JR) 6-5 195 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 46% FG; 34% 3pt; 67% FT

SF:  Mark Vital (RFR) 6-5 230 lbs; 7 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 50% FG; 50% FT

PF:  Tristan Clark (FR) 6-9 240 lbs; 7 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 60% FG; 67% FT

C:  Jo Lual-Acuil (SR) 7-0 220 lbs; 15 ppg; 9 reb; 2 blks; 51% FG; 73% FT

Baylor Bench

G:  King McClure (JR) 6-3 215 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 34% 3pt; 77% FT

F:  Nuni Omot (SR) 6-9 210 lbs; 9 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 47% FG; 42% 3pt; 84% FT

F:  Terry Maston (SR) 6-8 230 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 53% FG; 80% FT

Discussion from...

MBB: Baylor (18-12; 8-9) at KSU (20-10; 9-8) Preview & Game Thread

35,382 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BU25
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure that head to head is considered. Okie State did have 4 wins over top 10 teams..2 of them were Kansas. When's the last time a team beat KU twice? I still think the tournament will dictate NCAA invites..It would be great if we win a game or two...Sic 'Em
BU25
rudylaw said:

Wikstr9 said:

Sorry but Drew needed to pull Manu and tell him to find other ways to help the team win today. You just can't keep throwing up bricks.

And for you guys who think he's the best we got - then Drew needs to find a better strategy when Manu is cold from the field.
I'm no huge Manu fan but we don't really have a plan B (McClure is plan C) if he's cold. This roster is severely limited offensively. Nuni went for 30 today but KSU was just better today as well as the last time. They are the better team.

There's not much in between for Manu, he's either hot or way off. McClure hit the only outside shot he took today. Would you rather have Manu keep shooting 3s today (he ended up 1-7) or get McClure a couple more open shots? Or even Lindsey for that matter? Nothing is done to get McClure or Lindsey open shots as is done for Manu. Our big guys rarely go inside out. I just think we have better options than Manu forcing shots when he's cold.
RealLarryDon
I have a feeling several people tossing out the 80% and more probabilities with great assuredness are gonna be the first in here posting faux outrage threads after we get bypassed by the committee if we get bounced in our 1st game of the conference tourney. I distinctly remember the same tone of assuredness in Baylorfans for the CFP selections in 2014 and the ensuing faux outrage in spite of the fact it was pretty easy to see that train coming from miles away.
Bear8084
RealLarryDon said:

I have a feeling several people tossing out the 80% and more probabilities with great assuredness are gonna be the first in here posting faux outrage threads after we get bypassed by the committee if we get bounced in our 1st game of the conference tourney. I distinctly remember the same tone of assuredness in Baylorfans for the CFP selections in 2014 and the ensuing faux outrage in spite of the fact it was pretty easy to see that train coming from miles away.
NCAA Tournament Committee is different. And it's not just Baylor fans throwing out 80%, it's some of the bracket predictors.
NoBSU
RealLarryDon said:

Agree. I think we have a lot of fans that love to be victims. They are sure now that we are okay. They will be mad and screaming about a screwing later.
bear2be2
BU25 said:

rudylaw said:

Wikstr9 said:

Sorry but Drew needed to pull Manu and tell him to find other ways to help the team win today. You just can't keep throwing up bricks.

And for you guys who think he's the best we got - then Drew needs to find a better strategy when Manu is cold from the field.
I'm no huge Manu fan but we don't really have a plan B (McClure is plan C) if he's cold. This roster is severely limited offensively. Nuni went for 30 today but KSU was just better today as well as the last time. They are the better team.

There's not much in between for Manu, he's either hot or way off. McClure hit the only outside shot he took today. Would you rather have Manu keep shooting 3s today (he ended up 1-7) or get McClure a couple more open shots? Or even Lindsey for that matter? Nothing is done to get McClure or Lindsey open shots as is done for Manu. Our big guys rarely go inside out. I just think we have better options than Manu forcing shots when he's cold.
In fairness, between the two of them, McClure and Lindsey pass up a half-dozen or more open shots per game without being featured parts of the offense. That number would only be higher if they were. One is too passive (McClure) and the other is flat scared (Lindsey), and neither is viewed by the defense as much of a threat because of that.

Unfortunately, this team's guard play is just bad. If we had better options than Lecomte, they'd be playing. And you can look to the past as proof, when Drew benched two better guards (Aaron Bruce and Henry Dugat) for better performances than Manu's given the team this season.

This is just a deeply flawed roster. It's a minor miracle this group is in the discussion for an NCAA tournament spot given its glaring deficiencies.
BUGWBBear
One and done then it's probably NIT.
BU25
Agreed on them passing up open looks, both of them are lacking confidence in their shot and it's sad really. Perhaps their confidence would be greater if they were featured more in the offense, perhaps not. As you said, this roster is flawed and guard play has been subpar... perhaps we can have a few strong showings and make a mini run in the post season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.