Story Poster
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

MBB: Devonte Bandoo on Why Baylor?

May 21, 2018

Better late than never.  I've been trading messages with Devonte Bandoo since he committed to Baylor last week.  I finally caught up with the 6-3 195 lb combo guard who averaged 17 ppg; 6 reb and 3 assists while shooting 50% from the field; 44% from 3 and 81% from the foul line.  Bandoo is an athletic guard who should help Baylor shore up some much needed skill and depth in the backcourt over the next 2 years.  Here is my conversation with him:  

You had a lot of good programs offering you this spring.  Oklahoma, Minnesota, West Virginia, South Carolina, Kansas State, Houston, New Mexico, Buffalo to name a few.  Why did you choose Baylor over those other options?

Devonte:  I connected with the staff.  I felt like they had a plan to push me and help me reach my potential not only on the court but off the court as well.  I trusted Coach Peterson's plan to help me refine areas of my game and get me prepared for not only high D1 basketball but hopefully a professional career afterwards.  

What do you do well?  What needs work on your game?

Devonte:  I've improved every year in the areas that are important- athleticism, ball handling, passing, shooting and defense.  But I also realize that I have a long way to go and need to improve each day.  I'm looking forward to getting down to Baylor and getting to work.  

Baylor has had some outstanding teams in the last 10 years, but their best teams have had great leadership from unselfish guys that care about the goals of the team over personal accomplishments.  You have two guys this year that have exemplified that in Jake Lindsey and King McClure.  You have played on great teams at Hutchinson CC where you won a national title last year.  How important is having a team that cares more about winning than individual goals?

Devonte:  It is crucial.  It is everything really.  We lost 7 games in my two years at Hutchinson.  Guys have to put aside egos and do what is best for the team.  When I get to Baylor, I want to get to know the players and what their strengths are and figure out how I can make them better.  

What do you plan to study at Baylor?

Devonte:  Business communications most likely but when I get down there in July, I plan to take an assessment that will help me dial in to what direction I want to go.  

I ask every player this question.  I'm somewhat wingspan obsessed.  Do you know what your wingspan is?  

Devonte:  I was measured at like 6-5 in high school but I was only around 6-0 back then.  So maybe around 6-7 to 6-8.  I would have to get it measured.  

Discussion from...

MBB: Devonte Bandoo on Why Baylor?

5,717 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boxster
OldSchoolBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor Nation welcomes you Devonte. Look forward to watching you write your story at Baylor over the next few years.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
BU_23
Sic em!!!!!
Lance_smith15
Love it. can't wait to see him around campus and on the court!
GoodNewsBears
He's right, he will be pushed hard..but if he works hard he will 100% see the fruits of that sooner than later. Welcome Devonte!
BUnLA
Thrilled to have this young man. He'll becomes a fan favorite in no time. Excited about how our depth rounded out.
somewhatlessthanperfect
Sounds like a win in every aspect! Excited to have him on the court here at Baylor.
Sarah Rogers
setshot
Thanks, Ashley. Excellent questions usually elicit excellent answers. This seems to be a very mature young man. I suspect that we will be happy that he decided to be a Baylor Bear.
boxster
Sounds like we got a really good young man, and a really good basketball player...and Bandoo got a great university to call his own.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.